PDA

View Full Version : I finally figured out why people buy Autocockers

hitmanng
04-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Please do not turn this into a gun bash as that is not it's intent. I simply spent a lot of time last week reading PB articles and realized why people buy autocockers.
It is the upgradability and customization. There are hundreds of rams, 3 and 4 ways, regs, volumizers, grips, triggers, bodies etc, etc out there. And many of them seriously effect the performance of the marker.
The mag on the other had is very un-upgradable. There are a few grips a few bodies and a valve change. the rest is all just eye candy.
I believe that both guns perform well when in proper condition and tuned well. But while the automag may be more reliable the Autococker has to be more fun to own even if you never shoot it.
Just an observation. I own a mag not a cocker, but this is interesting.
Angel owners on the other hand just seem to trade guns instead of upgrade a lot. Very interesting.
Hitmanng

Croix71
04-10-2002, 12:05 AM
That's one of the reasons I didn't get a Cocker. Too many upgrades and that cost too much. My Mag was plain and simple and I could do all the maintenance myself. :D

BlackVCG
04-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Part of the whole sport for kids is spending their allowance on paintball. Having a gun that lets them do that, like a Cocker, is just what they're looking for. They hardly play, but as long as they can spend money on it to upgrade it and make it all flashy, they can impress their friends and have a unique gun.

That's one of the scenarios and then you have people that just like to tinker with their guns. The Mag being a gun that holds .001" tolerances just can't be messed around with and still operate fine.

The Cocker just better fits the way paintball players are and what they want out of a gun. This is general statement, but it's obviously much more prevelant than people wanting a gun that is built to such high quality standards.

DJSOLID
04-10-2002, 06:53 AM
I agree totally shartley. I've often thought of 'cockers in that way. I, on the other hand, want to take my mag out of it's case, place a couple of drops of oil in the valve, gas it up and rock and roll. At the end of the day maybe spend half an hour or so cleaning and relubing. That's my love for the mag - I'm lazy. I just wanna play some dang paintball. Hey, and great design work for Team Fatal Exception's website header. www.teamfatal.net

shartley
04-10-2002, 07:20 AM
Thank you. I just whipped it up real quick for them. The pictures I had to work with were less than “ideal” but it all works well with their chosen style. :) I DO however use their Wallpaper and WinAmp skin on one of my systems.. looks sweet. http://www.teamfatal.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=2

On a public service note…. Team Fatal Exception (name taken from the computer term) is a great bunch of guys. And one of their members is involved in a terrific project…. Live To Serve… I would direct anyone who may be interested to visit the “Live to Serve” site located at http://www.livetoserveinc.com . It is about Self-Esteem, Diversity, Community, and Empowerment.

(now BACK to the topic... ;))

Gup44
04-10-2002, 08:10 AM
<i>Originally from Shartley</i>
<b>I would direct anyone who may be interested to visit...</b>
Shameless plug for website!!:D I love it!

Webmaster
04-10-2002, 09:58 AM
I beg to differ on one point - there are really only a handful of aftermarket parts that do ANYTHING to the performance of a stock cocker. There are some - but most of them are either eyecandy coupled with a cool name.

The other part of cockers is the whole "kit" attitude - you can build them up from scratch.

pbR2k2
04-10-2002, 01:00 PM
I like mags more... not complicated, hard to brake,easy to maintain... I think alot of people like cocker because they have a cool little block that move around at the end, and has funny looking tubes on it... But again, its just preference...

Snooky
04-10-2002, 02:19 PM
This was the reason i bought my spyder for my first gun... customization. However after i found it to look cool but shoot like a pos i traded it for a mag.

OldSchoolMag
04-10-2002, 03:00 PM
Yeah, that's PART of it, but you're really putting a big generalization on the Cocker owners, that's somewhat equivelant to saying that people buy Mags because they can't keep up with Cockers - for some, true, but not for all.

I think that people also buy Cockers because they work nice, and the customizability allows them to get it working perfectly for them (or at least they feel that way, they might be wrong). That's a nice feeling; to have a gun feel like it's completely made for you and that it's your perfect partner. In fact, I plan to get a Cocker around next Christmas, when I'm done with my Mag.

OSM

toymyster
04-10-2002, 04:40 PM
The customization is one of the reasons stores like selling the cocker!!! If you sell a kid a cocker, they will be in every other day buying parts and accessories for it!!! I know I am generalizing some, for the most part, this is the case, though!!!

spliff
04-10-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Webmaster
I beg to differ on one point - there are really only a handful of aftermarket parts that do ANYTHING to the performance of a stock cocker. There are some - but most of them are either eyecandy coupled with a cool name.
I second that. Stock cockers are excelent right out of the box. Most upgrades do very little for performance. People upgrade their Stck pnuematics because they hate the look of brass, and they want the convienence of an externally adjustable LPR. People upgrade their rods from stainless to titanium, because you can. There are many other upgrades that do basically nothing. The majority out there offer either looks, convience, or a very small performance gain.

Bartman
04-10-2002, 05:54 PM
For some,

Its the money pit
others its teh glamor from there freinds
but the real and only reason to actualy buy a cocker, is the clak-i-dy clack of the back block.

Sorry to ruene any of your thoughts but its all about the back block, cocker, sovereign, blazer dosn't matter, the moving parts mesmerrise the users

Bartman
Team I have no Idea
www.ihni.org

Cliffio
04-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Bartman
For some,

Its the money pit
others its teh glamor from there freinds
but the real and only reason to actualy buy a cocker, is the clak-i-dy clack of the back block.

Sorry to ruene any of your thoughts but its all about the back block, cocker, sovereign, blazer dosn't matter, the moving parts mesmerrise the users

Bartman
Team I have no Idea
www.ihni.org

hes right

i loved shooting a old teammates Force 5, that thing was soo sweet
Cliff

TotalSNAFU
04-11-2002, 12:05 AM
My Opinion...

I like the Mag because it subscribes to the old K.I.S.S. philosophy. Keep It Simple Stupid. That's why I chose it.

I played a game one day with a guy who had the most beautiful Cocker. Decked out to the gills with you name it. I was attracted by the looks of this gorgeous chrome wonder. I was playing with my lowly Spyder at the time. I was looking for a "high end" gun at the time and was torn between a Cocker and A Mag. I had been on the receiving end of both plenty of times and was trying to decide which one I wanted. I was leaning toward a Cocker at the time because they seemed quieter and more accurate not to mention all of the "toys" you can add to them. Well that day, I learned why I did not want a Cocker. That guy spent more time toying with the thing than playing. He had to sit out 3 games because the timing was off. He fixed 1 problem and something else sprang up. I realize now that this is not really typical for the average Cocker user but they are very high maintenance guns. I want a gun that performs well and I don't have to mess with all of the time. My Mag works fine, breaks a ball now and then, but all in all it works fine. Only "performance" upgrade that I did was put in an RT valve. The stock valve worked well for me, but after pulling an RT trigger, I had to have one. Love that reactive trigger. With a Mag you can play 1 shot one kill (my preference) and still have the firepower you need in tight spots. Slap a good Barrel on any stock Mag and you are good to go. A good barrel is the only thing required for a Mag to operate effectively. Efficiently, you gotta toy around a little. My 2 cents....

tremis
04-12-2002, 02:55 PM
I know of a lot of kids at a field about 30 miles away that love upgrading their cockers. They only play once or twice a month but they have new doodads every week to try out. One kid has a bolt bag. Its like a barrel bag but holds twenty some bolts. It was full when I saw it a year ago.
Anyway, they always ask "what do you think of this beauty?" I answer: "it sure is a gun." that always gets em miffed. They are awlways asking everyone with a decent gun, what they think the next thing is that they should get for their gun. I always told them they should buy some freaking paint for it. If they spent some of that money on playing, they might not suck. But they can impress all of their friends with their guns.
My point being, that the kids with the above mentality seem to be drawn to cockers. Of cource their immaturity prevents them from realizing that there are things that are more important than what their friends think.
Oh, I'm done spewing now.

Tremis

Edit: simple grammatical error. No need to point out the others.

FooTemps
04-12-2002, 03:06 PM
Sheesh... I want a mag and I wish I could play once a month...

SoupRman
04-12-2002, 03:36 PM
well also to add on to why people liek cockers is the feel and the feel of the trigger, sound, etc...

it is a whole lot different and no other marker can compare to the feel of an autococker. either can another gun to a RT. it is smooth and can feel like butter.

also its all just personal preference, if you think you play better with a cocker you shoot a cocker, mag, then you shoot a mag.

BTAutoMag
04-12-2002, 07:53 PM
i would love to buy a cheap cocker and just tinker with it. then maybe when i get the hang of it, upgrade it to kingdon come.

MikeCouves
04-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Do you know what's cool? With mags you don't spend your money on crap, you spend it on paint and field fees and get more experience. What would you rather have?

RT pRo AuToMaG
04-12-2002, 08:48 PM
i'd die if i had a cocker. i allready have no money to spent with r/t pro. if i had a cocker, i'd sell my house to buy upgrades

BTAutoMag
04-12-2002, 08:50 PM
i just want one to tinker with...

AdrenalineMag
04-12-2002, 08:59 PM
people that make theyre guns pretty with ano'ing and fades & stuff are just making up for ugly partners. god i love my mag, its so fugly, heheheh

InfinatyBPS
04-12-2002, 10:37 PM
Actualy many aftermarket parts actualy do help out the pull, with the exception of about 2, 3 ways most either shorten or smoothen out the pull, any trigger frame is an improvment over stock. Rams, there are rams that cycal faster, smoother, and lower pressure. And the pneu reg, they make the pressure adjustable. There are alot of bolts that allow you to go lower pressure and highten velocity. Most any aftermarket valves will work nicer than stock, the best are Red valves by mac dev, and the tornado valve by aka will lower pressure and highten efficiency. But there are stupid things that just look perty like cocking rods, bodys, blocks, stuff like that.

FeelTheRT
04-13-2002, 02:18 PM
It's all about personality and individualality. You goto the field and see 20 guys with Cockers(highend of course), and each are different and unique in it's own ways. It would be pritty borring to goto afield where everyone is using the same borring gun. It's just more fresh to see different anodizings and millings and newer aftermarket parts ect.

veritas
04-13-2002, 06:59 PM
I think people by cockers just so they can hear that signature clicking sound every time the rear block moves...

AllAmericanMag
04-13-2002, 07:04 PM
The REAL reason people buy 'Cockers is because the Back Block is a source of mind control, it makes people buy them. :D

BTAutoMag
04-13-2002, 07:44 PM
my dealer let me play with his today. to give you pespective to how good it is... he bought it for 300, AND THEN he pumped 800 into it. i loved it. i still prefer my mag but it was hypnotic. and fun.

slayer
04-14-2002, 11:13 AM
even though I am the most electro guy you will ever meet(I used to be suspicious of revolutions, but my how things have changed)I do like the way a cockers trigger feels. I feel connected with the gun, and at peace with the world. would I ever own one, no I am an incompetent monkey when it comes to fixing/tuning anything. I want an Excalibur to go alongside my E-mag and I just might get one for graduation.

res0qjp2
04-26-2002, 10:57 AM
I have both, the fact is that a mag being a blow forward gun simply makes it a med range marker. See aka website.

martlet1
04-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Im confused. I thought it was the elves that caused everyone to buy cockers!? Is that wrong????? I mean really, if you get your very own elf, then its really a bargain!

pumpamatic
04-26-2002, 04:46 PM
Um yeah AKA is full of it. Short to medium range? You gotta be kidding me. My gun was shooting the same distance as an Excalibur 2 weeks ago, and every other gun on the field. Does this mean that all guns are short to medium range? Apparently.

BTAutoMag
04-26-2002, 07:56 PM
tippman flatline:D

AcemanPB
04-26-2002, 09:00 PM
lol flatline on a cocker...

BTAutoMag
04-26-2002, 09:10 PM
they make em'

check out page 47 in the May 2002 APG

AcemanPB
04-26-2002, 09:54 PM
i know, i just think they look funny on a cocker, not somethin i would do atleast

magatron
04-27-2002, 01:26 AM
anyone ever seen a r.a.i.l. spyder? those things are freacking sweet. all the fancy hoses, moving parts that ppl can see, cheaper, doesn't have to be worked on nearly as much and only need be timed once, it realy is a thing of paintball brilliance, i mean seriously, a closed bolt spyder that looks all fancy with its moving parts and hoses, just wait till they mass produced lol.
back toi the subject:
who ever thinks all those aftermarket parts are eyecandy, better get a new line of thinking. most of those fancy bodys have had interal airpassages made to aquire a lower pressure, as with almost every other part is there to make some form of a performance differance.
personally, when i see a marker with few aftermarket parts, it seems to be like the gun is coming to you perfect in design. like bushys, there are like 4 or 5 aftermarket parts for them, and anyone i've ever meet who owned one, loved it and nothing but great things to say about it, as with mag owners i've talked to. i mean, if your paying 300-400 bucks, it shouldn't need 1000 dollars more in parts to make it great.

Krazy Ivan
04-27-2002, 04:13 AM
I think a lot of draw also comes from it being SO customizable that you don't even have to buy a stock cocker. You can build your own cocker from aftermarket parts totally.

That and the fact that if you hold the trigger in the back position the back block stays in the back position.

pull trigger..look at back block...release trigger..WooT it moved!

tobz
02-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Is that a stock cocker rips when you get it done right.

There is plenty of dealer hype in the cocker world, and everyone knows it. A stock cocker will also be reliable enough (just like a mag) to where you can add oil once and a while and you'll almost never need to mess with it. Mags and cockers are both nice guns, which is why they are placed higher up the ladder for mechanical markers. Just my two cents, please add other info, this is a good thread!
-tobz

Schnitzel
02-12-2003, 12:31 PM
i almost bought a cocker, i was really close. then i heard about this wonderful company called Airgun Designs.

i had read stories upon stories about how cockers tended to demand attention...but never heard anything about mags, just that they were rock solid.

then my brother-in-law, (sister's boyfriend at the time) showed me the superior workings of the Automag. He picked it up from a freind's house, and proceeded to field strip it in his lap doing 70 down the freeway. that's what sold me. the he let me test-shoot it in his back yard....that locked my opinion in stone. that NON-LX, HPA, humble mag's genuis almost made me drop it in amazement.

i really do believe that i have bought the ferarri of the PB industry. sure, imports (cockers) are capable of the same performance as my ferarri, but i'm happy that my bumper wont fall off at 80+.:D

cledford
02-12-2003, 01:02 PM
The analogy I like to use for cockers is that they are like Harley Davidsons. If you want a bike that runs perfectly, is virtually maintenance free, has the latest/cutting edge in technology for it's systems, is built better (to tighter tolerances) and is cheaper, then buy a Japanese bike.

If you want something that REQUIRES you work on it, is built on turn of the century technology and is expensive (before you even start upgrading it) buy the Harley. Honestly (even as a Harley owner) there is no justification to own one (except the buy American sentiment) compared to a jap bike. The thing is that arguably the Harley (like the cocker) is still the most popular out there. How does "old world" and outdated technology compete with that which can and does put it to shame? I don't know. Even the new vrod is thousands more and less capable then a Euro or jap peer. Same as the new ecockers that still (due to reciprocating mass) will always be slower the then the current crop of electros. So why pay $1400 plus for an E oracle when a much more capable electro can be had for hundreds less? Why buy the Vrod?

A good point someone made about the kit thing (as with the Harleys also) and the customization. If you've even been to a Harley dealer there are (including Harleys own version) several catalogs the size of PHONE BOOKS that are chock full of parts for what? A product line of about 9 or 10 bikes total? (all of the other parts for all of the other current motorcycles could easily fit into a single Harley catalog with room to spare) The Harley guys (as do the cocker owners) can't get enough custom parts. You often wonder why they all didn't build them up from scratch the way everything get replaced.

-Calvin
(A Harley and cocker owner)

JEDI
02-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by spliff

I second that. Stock cockers are excelent right out of the box. Most upgrades do very little for performance. People upgrade their Stck pnuematics because they hate the look of brass, and they want the convienence of an externally adjustable LPR. People upgrade their rods from stainless to titanium, because you can. There are many other upgrades that do basically nothing. The majority out there offer either looks, convience, or a very small performance gain.
This idea is kinda wrong. I know its an opinion but...Most cocker upgrades DO affect performance. I think the idea that cocker upgrades make for a pretty gun is an idea shared only by people here on AO. 1.) Your 3-way will shorten your pull, and make it smoother. 2.) Your swing frame lightens your pull and is more adjustable compared to the stock slide. 3.) A new bolt can give you better flow, and lower your pressure. 4.) An adjustable LPR is more than just a convenience. A snappier back block, and lower cocking pressure does help. 5.)A Palmer quick ram over the stock brass ram is like night & day.

I would like to do away with the idea that slapping some parts on your cocker does nothing more than put a smile on your face. Again though, we all agree that markers come down to preference. I for one would rather tune my "guitar" than just play it right out of the box. Every gun is a performance machine. Its capabilites far exceed what you get from the stock state no matter what gun it is.

After all, the Xmag is just an "upgraded" 68classic. :D :eek:

tobz
02-12-2003, 02:50 PM
but it still comes down to what you're getting, not too mention a stock cocker comes with a hinge nowadays. and a new 3 way usually can lighten shorten pull, but you might be getting rid of some reliability issues as well. There will be ups and downs to everything, I guess I just hate the people that say, why spend $300 on a stock cocker, when you need to add $800 to make it work? They just kind of tick me off sometimes.

tobz

FeelTheRT
02-12-2003, 03:17 PM
acutally, i switched from Angels to Cockers because i just love the way a cocker feels and sounds. Not to mention i'm a god at fixing them ;).

cannedheat
02-12-2003, 04:25 PM
hmmm... i own both, what does that make me?:confused: :D

MarkM
02-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Aftermarket parts etc ...is most all that has been said, An Automag was designed to be a semi-auto, the Auto-Cocker was a converted pump marker, so of course it is going to look like a cluster <B>*POOF*</B>, I have both a cocker and an automag and the reason for buying the autococker was simple, I was fed up with blasting balls to pieces due to the way an automag cycles and fires. Yes cockers do chop but the trigger pull is different so you adapt to it. Ok now there is the level 10 but at the time there wasn't so it was a no-brainer choice for me. I now run an Angel and yes the forward motion and then gas release is the same as an automag but IMHO "not" as violently as the automag does it nor does it rely on a spring for the bolt movement.

Not flaming marker choice just my reasons for why I decided to do what I did.

<B>Warning: No Cussing</B> - Miscue

Me
02-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by hitmanng
Angel owners on the other hand just seem to trade guns instead of upgrade a lot. Very interesting.
Hitmanng

Lol, true very true. wanna buy my angel?:p

sime
02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
....but where does my favorite bike (ducati!!! mmmm 998R) fit into this equation? there's NO way it equals an angel.....as i'd bever own an angel, i'm too happy with my mag and my phantom.

and if a cocker=hog, then say a dye cocker=buell? same thing only sexier?

heheheehe, just stiring the pot, it's what i do best!

cheers!

felony
02-12-2003, 06:59 PM
ive had my mag for roughly two years now, and the toughest thing i've had to do is install level 10. maybe intellifeeding my marker was tougher. i'm not sure.

ive only really shot a hyperframe uprising cocker. it is very nice and very light.

im tempted to buy a stock cocker get the necessaties and just play over the summer.

or i can get a barrel system for my mag and keep on chuggin with my mini.

it is just something i want to own. i want to know why so many people buy it. i want to show some people that it isnt as tough as it seems. there is no way it can be that popular in it entirity if it had as many problems as people claim it has.

so, any suggestions on stock cocker slightly upgraded and barrel system, or my current mag with a new barrel system.

i think i know what the answer to that is :cool:

Ultimator
02-12-2003, 07:14 PM
lol ...

Ironmag
02-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Even though I have an E-Mag, I got a stock 2k3 Autococker recently and want to build it from the ground up and make it MY custom baby. It's just a different kind of marker and something that I can tinker with.

GT
02-12-2003, 08:34 PM
honestly,
I just bought an outkast and a mini at the same time. the kast is my second cocker and the mini is my 4rth mag. the mini I will keeo forever and the cocker I just sold to a friend.

Few reasons why I am switching to a cocker as my primiary.

1. way more eff than my retro or RT every wish to be.
2. I really like the trigger pull on a cocker
3. lower operating preasure, even when it gets cold in tx my mag, doesnt matter which one, just blows paint down the barrel.
4. you can actually run a cocker on co2, although I won't.

now to address the statement that cocker's have a bunch of pricey stuff that is worhtless maybe true, but take a look around at all the crapy mag stuff made by other companies.

jb

rikkter
02-12-2003, 08:47 PM
when i first started paintball, i had a rebel, then i wanted to upgrade. now i was thinking of getting a cocker, then read all these stories of timing, all the little things you have to watch out for, etc etc etc. so i'm like nah, then i went with my mag. then another mag. but recently i bought a cocker just to toy around with, i WANTED to time it, i wanted to fool around with all these little things and such and see what i could do to make it do this, that, etc. i love the thing, its a very smooth operating marker and would definitally buy another one. but i love my mag. i dont trust the cocker enough to go out and play a long game and then have it start to mess up.
i was playing couple games with a few kids from nemesis(yes the real team) and he was laying in some brush just playing around and sniping people with his cocker(wasn't concept field of course) and all of a sudden it hung on him while shooting. i think his ram hose game off or something, i can't remember what he said.
but anyways. i got mine just to toy with, i actually find timing it rather fun. that and also taking the cocking rod out and just hammering on the trigger so the back block moves back and forth is entertaining too. :D

deathstalker
02-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by JEDI

This idea is kinda wrong. I know its an opinion but...Most cocker upgrades DO affect performance. I think the idea that cocker upgrades make for a pretty gun is an idea shared only by people here on AO. 1.) Your 3-way will shorten your pull, and make it smoother. 2.) Your swing frame lightens your pull and is more adjustable compared to the stock slide. 3.) A new bolt can give you better flow, and lower your pressure. 4.) An adjustable LPR is more than just a convenience. A snappier back block, and lower cocking pressure does help. 5.)A Palmer quick ram over the stock brass ram is like night & day.
Points 1 & 2:
The stock 4-way and slide triggers are very easy to set up for whatever pull you want; short, long, light, and heavy trigger pulls are possible with stock parts. Hinges are great for people who can't get used to a slider, but I refuse to believe a hinge is inherently better than a slider. Having too short a pull, no matter what frame is on there, will cause you headaches in the long run.

Point 3:
A new bolt provides hardly any better flow. Who cares about operating pressure? My goal is efficiency.

Point 4:
My stock LPR is adjustable and is set up to pinch. What's a snappier back block and what does it do?

Point 5:
Care to elaborate? I could easily take your point and add the conclusion that because the difference is "like night & day," the stock ram is better.:)

GT
02-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by deathstalker
Point 3:
A new bolt provides hardly any better flow. Who cares about operating pressure? My goal is efficiency.

I agree 100%. this is where its at! who wants to get 1.5 cases out of a 68/4500? I do!

jb

JEDI
02-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by deathstalker

Points 1 & 2:
The stock 4-way and slide triggers are very easy to set up for whatever pull you want; short, long, light, and heavy trigger pulls are possible with stock parts. Hinges are great for people who can't get used to a slider, but I refuse to believe a hinge is inherently better than a slider. Having too short a pull, no matter what frame is on there, will cause you headaches in the long run.

Point 3:

Point 4:
My stock LPR is adjustable and is set up to pinch. What's a snappier back block and what does it do?

Point 5:
Care to elaborate? I could easily take your point and add the conclusion that because the difference is "like night & day," the stock ram is better.:)

Ok, 1: Stock 3-ways are not as smooth as most good after market ones. The openings & O-rings combo are closer on a good 3way (palmer, belsales) allowing less movement to switch the air. After market switches generally have a longer life, and can handle more cycles. I never said a swinger is better than a slide. I said an upgraded frame (i like swing frames) is better than the average stock slider. That plastic/carbon peice of crap has way too much back and forth play, and not responsive enough.

Point 3: Ok, I'm sorry, but your response is an ignorant one. My AKA bolt added about 25fps over the chrono, hence: better flow, better flow means I can turn my velocity down from the 320-spike back to 280, meaning less air/lower pressure--which in turn gives you better efficiency. Every time you add a part which lowers your pressure, it requires less air to run the gun, and thats efficiency. (within reason)

Point 4: Right the stock LPR is adjustable if you remove the end cap. Thats a pain in the ***. I can control how much air it takes to throw the block back. This helps like you said with "pinching". But my palmer LPR has a bigger chamber, and has more volume. Again an efficiency issue.

Point 5: The ram is probably the one part that you can feel the difference on or off the gun. If you compare the in & out slide of a Palmer or Evolution ram to the stock, its 10 times smoother. Some rams are beefier, and handle more cycles. I wouldn't throw an E-blade on the stock ram. Over a period of time, that ram will fail, or need to be rebuilt.
I'm not saying stock parts wont work. But they're not going to hold up like a top end upgrade. Plain and simple. I'm not going to argue a point that most Cocker experts would agree with. Why didnt Bud Orr put all stock parts on the new Orracle? Hmmm? :)

dex
02-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Most impressive JEDI. Anyone who argues those facts is clearly biased in their thoughts. Yes, i can see that buying a gun for a few hundered then dumping another couple of hundered into it can be expensive. However, its fun. Plain & Simple. It can be a project overtime w/ the end result being a completely reliable gun. Trust me, if more aftermarket mag parts were available, most mag owners would be pushing in line to get them. How many people now have a Level 10 to stop chopping?? Just a point.:D

tobz
02-13-2003, 10:38 AM
is that there's this thing called reliability.

ANS make pretty stuff, too bad you'll need to replace it every so often. The stock stuff may be ugly, and could be improved in minor ways, but if you setup your gun right, sweetspot your reg and time it perfect, you'll only need to adjust it like once a year or less, and it will work just fine. people on AO especially know about dealer hype. but if you're into pretty stuff, feel free to upgrade your cocker and make it pretty, however, those are usually the same people that are tinkering while us with fugly stock cockers and mags are the ones playing :)

tobz

dex
02-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by tobz
is that there's this thing called reliability.

but if you're into pretty stuff, feel free to upgrade your cocker and make it pretty, however, those are usually the same people that are tinkering while us with fugly stock cockers and mags are the ones playing :)

tobz

There is nothing wrong w/ a stock cocker. I used a stock cocker and my teamate used a stock mag for a long time and they both performed well. As i became more interested in performance upgrades, i did my reading, learned about the gun and how to properly install aftermarket products.(No need for sideline tinkering) But i think you're missing the point about looking pretty vs. performance. For a good rundown on performance products please look up a few posts for JEDI's response. And i don't care for ANS. Stick w/ PALMER.:D

tobz
02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to get at. Is that people need to research before they buy aftermarket.
palmers rock reg and quick ram are top notch as far as i'm concerned
their quick switch 3 way might be a bit stiff for some people, but the STO 3 way isn't bad either. a lot of aftermarket products are just to make the gun prettier, i'd rather have fugly + performance than "pretty" + Hassles.

I agree, go PPS. ANS is crap.
tobz

SqueegeeKid
02-13-2003, 01:37 PM
I bought my Autococker because it has that cool back block that moves around when i shoot it. It's hypnotic.

And it has those cute hoses on the front!!

Miscue
02-13-2003, 01:42 PM
The Cocker is the rice-rocket approach to paintball guns. You start with a Honda Civic - that was not originally designed to be a racer - you put on some fancy decals, get a high pitched muffler, a four foot tall spoiler, and put Type-R on it somewhere. You might even put in NOS and some other performance upgrades. But after you're all done, you now have an expensive Honda Civic. :) There is a certain crowd that enjoys doing this - and they have copies of The Fast and the Furious.

Getting an EMag is like getting a Corvette - which was designed to be fast in the first place, fiberglass and all - and then just leaving it alone. You could tweak it some, and get it to fly at ludicrous speed. Ludicrous speed? Yes, ludicrous speed. Otherwise, you might get chrome wheels or something, but that's about it - at least, that's what I would do.

JEDI
02-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
The Cocker is the rice-rocket approach to paintball guns. You start with a Honda Civic - that was not originally designed to be a racer - you put on some fancy decals, get a high pitched muffler, a four foot tall spoiler, and put Type-R on it somewhere. You might even put in NOS and some other performance upgrades. But after you're all done, you now have an expensive Honda Civic. :) There is a certain crowd that enjoys doing this - and they have copies of The Fast and the Furious.

Getting an EMag is like getting a Corvette - which was designed to be fast in the first place, fiberglass and all - and then just leaving it alone. You could tweak it some, and get it to fly at ludicrous speed. Ludicrous speed? Yes, ludicrous speed. Otherwise, you might get chrome wheels or something, but that's about it - at least, that's what I would do.

Man, I guess moderator doesn't necessarily mean smart. ;)

magsRus
02-13-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah we all knew this

Automaggin2
02-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Actually, i got rid of my mag for a cocker cause i love cockers. i love how they shoot and how the feel. I didnt get it to upgrade, i got it cause i love them