PDA

View Full Version : Why not make silicon paintballs??

ubooze
04-10-2002, 05:18 PM
I believe paintballs made out of silicon would be a good idea(the type of silicon that you use to seal things). I mean, it doesn't change form like normal gelatin, and also temperature has little effect on the silicon. Also, it won't let water in, and it holds its shape pretty well. It may have a little give to lets say a bolt or it may make a tight seal when there is pressure behind it, that would mean better gas efficiency. Also, it can be spread out htin, but it will still be strong. One advantage to a thin spread is the idea of more paint, meaning a bigger mark, meaning harder to cheat. I'm not a scientist or anything, but it seems that this would be a good material to use. What is your imput????

Blennidae
04-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Are you talking about silicone? Silicon is what they make computer chips out of.

ubooze
04-10-2002, 06:16 PM
That the element kind, but more of the manufactured type like sealants.

EDIT: Can someone give me a mature and simple explanation what would the negative of this idea be?? Some say it will be more expensive, really?

Blennidae
04-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Silicon is an element (Si), silicone is not. I don't know for sure but I don't think silicon is used as a sealant, where silicone is.

If you are thinking of silicon, the #1 reason not to use it to make paintballs is probably cost.
"Costs Regular grade silicon (99%) costs about $0.50/g. Silicon 99.9% pure costs about $50/lb; hyperpure silicon may cost as much as $100/oz."

Playing paintball is expensive enough as it is.

If you are thinking of silicone, I would think the biggest problem is that its rubbery consistancy. You want the paintballs to break not bounce.

Mature and simple enough?:)

ubooze
04-10-2002, 06:43 PM
Thank you!! I needed to see some facts and that helped me out.

Tufiremn
04-10-2002, 09:45 PM
Well the best reason is that silicone will not decompose, and when it breaks down you end up with an enviromental hazard. This would create one heck of a clean up problem for paintball fields. Paintball already has a bad enough name with out the EPA, and Tree hugging groups after us.

cphilip
04-11-2002, 07:10 AM
Moving out of DB into main.

Croix71
04-11-2002, 07:20 AM
Also, another thing is will it stain?

Restola
04-11-2002, 07:37 AM
whether it stains is probably more a factor of the dye used.

Kevmag
04-11-2002, 10:27 AM
instead of large bore, small bore paint we can have B, C, D, and DD sizes. While we're at it, let's put a nipple on it so we have something to play with between games.

Did this idea (for silcone paintballs) come to you after browsing through Playboy?:)

Not making fun of you, just having fun...

DJSOLID
04-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Silicone is not biodegradeable, so every paintball ever shot will have to be picked up off the ground or left there until the field gets waist deep and you can't move. What the heck - I'm for it.

soilent green
04-11-2002, 10:36 AM
not decomposable is the biggest prob. but it also would take alot develope the technology