PDA

View Full Version : Tom can you provide some insight ...

2000Sabre
04-10-2002, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry that I'm asking this but I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate a direct response. I like several others purchased an SFL back in January and like some have had many problems with breaking paint. I have sought advice through the forum and the many AO members and got some helpful hints, however I really want to know if you can provide any solid insight as to any problems you've experience with the design or what you have learned through the repair process and what's being considered in the next release of the Extreme.

Since purchasing the SFL I have spent over $200 for a complete freak kit, replaced a broken superbolt, purchased a foamie style bolt of $35 and parabolic feed plugs for the 90 degree adapter. I have done the bounce test, trying one ball at a time, 3 balls in the center feed test and I'm not sure if any of these have had any impact on my problem. I will try anything to make this work. Of the times that I have used my SFL on the field I have had only 1 day where breaking paint wasn't an issue.

If you tell me just to wait it out I'm fine with that or if you don't want to comment on future design enhancements I'm ok with that as well. I just want a direct answer from you. I don't want my money back and I don't want to beg and am not asking to be a beta tester either. Just a reply with some insight is all I ask.

I appreciate your time and I'm looking forward to meeting you at Shatnerball in August

2000Sabre
04-11-2002, 06:35 AM
Tom,

I understand there are level 10 changes planned for the next release of the Extreme. This is the stuff I'm intrested to hear particularly if it makes my SFL work more consistent. Please shed some light on this. Thanks.

AGD
04-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Sabre,

I appreciate your situation but you are just telling me "you are having problems". In order to help you I need specific info as to what type of breaks, how often, in a game or not, what the bounce test said on that day, how fast were you shooting and what you changed in your gun.

As you can see in this forum some people are having zero problems while others can't seem to make it work. Yes we have a level 10 configuration but we are still evolving it and since it means major changes, we don't want to update any SFL's right now.

If you want to try something put a small radius on the front edge of your bolt and see what happens. I expect too have a complete explanation of the level 10 config in the next few weeks.

AGD

2000Sabre
04-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. I hope you read this again because I added some more information so you can see what I have experienced:

Marker Setup:

SFL E-Mag
Stock RT Foamieless bolt
Freak barrel with AA front or 14” Dye Boomstick
Intelli-linked Warp/Halo feed system

I have never used the SFL Superbolt because it broke the first day I used the marker on the field. I break paint normally down the barrel but do see breaks in the breach. It occurs in most games and on the chrony range as well. I don’t have a fast trigger finger and the BPS second on the SFL are set to the default factory setting so I don’t think I’m out shooting the gun.

My last field experience was March 14. The weather that day was 45 degrees, partly sunny and windy. I broke paint on the field frequently and while chroning the marker. Had one experience on the chrony where I could not shot more than 3 or 4 shots without breaking a ball in the breach or down the barrel. Started with the Freak and .691 insert, changed to .693 insert after first chrony episode and changed to .695 (largest) insert after second chrony episode. Paint that day was field supplied 32 degrees team colors. All results occurred using the setup listed above.

My bounce test was conducted in my backyard on a 60-degree and sunny afternoon. Paint used was paint purchased from Wal-Mart 30 minute’s prior to use. Paint was Diablo Dusk and PMI Super Swirl. Drop tested 10 rounds from each box, Diablo Dusk results were 1,9,8,7,1,9,10,8,3,4 avg: 6, PMI Super Swirl results were 1,2,4,13,8,1,1,2,2,5 avg: 3.9. Starting setup was same as above except Warp/Halo was removed. All test were conducted using center feed only. Fired 25 shots 1 ball at a time, 25 shots with 3 balls in feed neck, and 40 rounds using a hopper (2 sets each). Had one break in the breach using the Super Swirl. Changed the foamieless bolt to RT Longnose foamy style bolt and repeated same tests. No breaks with either paint. Shot remaining paint using foamy style bolt and 12V Revy with no breaks. Overall great results.

I have made no mods to the marker other than changing the bolt to a foamy style for the test explained above and buying the Freak kit.. Will try to play next week with the foamy style bolt to see if it helps as well as try the parabolic PF plugs I just purchased. Did discover that the Freak back does not fit as well into the breach counterbore as the DYE. Not sure how to fix this as I am not a machinist and don’t want to modify the breach on a $1500 marker.

My point is that I don’t want to keep pouring more money into my already expensive marker unless it’s really going to help. I think I’ve tried the let’s try this and see if it works approach enough on my own. I’m not an Airsmith and am only looking for some solid information as what this might be. As I stated before, if you tell me to wait until level 10 configuration changes are available that’s fine. I’m just interested in getting a solid answer and not another guess. Thanks for the time.

AGD
04-11-2002, 01:41 PM
The SFL Superbolt is specifically designed for the SFL. The breach is larger on this gun so we have a larger diameter bolt. If you use the stock bolt there is excessive clearance between the bolt and breach and this causes a lot of blowback. This could be your first problem. Second feel the edge of your steel bolt that has been breaking the paint, if it is sharp and I bet it is, get some sandpaper and round it off. Try this and get back to me.

AGD

bamboo
04-11-2002, 03:20 PM
if u have blowback in the feed tube it'll push a ball a little up again and when ur bolt moves forward then u in big trouble baby.

toymyster
04-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Sabre, for the bolt mod, look at my post "Tom, please post this as a tech tip" I don't know if it will help your SFL, but it won't hurt and has done wonders for my E-mag!!!

2000Sabre
04-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the updates. I'll try the bolt mod on the foamy and get back to you with my results. My next tourney is next weekend so I'll post an update after it's over. Will try to test in my backyard as well before hand but I'm more interested in seeing how it performs on the field.

Also, for clarification I orginially tried to replace the SFL Superbolt with a replacement SFL Superbolt but they weren't any available due to the Superbolt issues at the time. The last time I tried they were still out of stock.

2000Sabre
04-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Tom,

Here's the update I promised after I played in my tourney today.

I rounded off the edge of the foamie style RT bolt as you suggested. The SFL performed better than it has in a long time. I did break a couple of balls in the breach and down the barrel but not nearly as bad as in the past. Overall a pretty good day but not perfect.

I'm now having problems with the safety not functioning properly, it's stuck in the off position. This is a simple fix if I take the grip frame apart. This is not the first time this has happened. More a pain in the *** than anything. Also my electro board is messed up. The marker was firing even with the battery plug still in and I couldn't cycle through any of the modes. I don't think this was a dead battery issue because the battery was charged over night two days prior and the marker wasn't used until today. I'm also having problems with the electro mode not working all of the time. I noticed that the pull wasn't long enough to hit the firing pin. I did fix this by making the pull in this mode longer but every now and then it hangs up. I posted this problem in the tech forum last week.

To make a long story short I'm shipping my SFL back to AGD this week for an overhaul. I've already got an RA number from before so I'm hoping the AGD techs can do some of their magic and get this thing running good. Thanks for the time.

AGD
04-21-2002, 11:50 PM
Sabre,

We will take a look at it. It seems the bolt and blowback were a large part of your issues.

AGD