PDA

View Full Version : my physics project on automags, help!!! need tonight

DoctorStox
04-11-2002, 07:16 PM
hey, i am doing my physics project on how automags work.i need soem help fellas. i need a diagram of the inside of a mag, preferably with labels, but i can alebl it myself..i'd draw it, by i am an aweful artist. i also need to figure out what to put down as a 'use' for an automag. OK, i need steps for correct operation, physics principles which explain the operation of the device (could also do myself, but help is apreciated--i am lazy), and i need results, or outcomes, like date for distance at a certain fps (man, i am gonna have to convert that to meters per second) or a normal output of the device, like the output of the A.I.R. or something, or cycle speeds at certain psi or something. also, at the end, i need to explain/prove how or if the device meets what its purpose is, since mags are the greatest thing on the face of the earth, obviously they do. well, thanx for the help guys.

Cliffio
04-11-2002, 07:18 PM
sounds like you need to get to work

shoot, asking AO to do your homework for you:)

anyways good luck with that

might try the search, maybe you can turn something up

Cliff

Rynoboy06
04-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Get out your video - there's a lot of that stuff in there.

DoctorStox
04-11-2002, 07:25 PM
didn't get one, i bought a used micromag

Rynoboy06
04-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Hit the manuals at www.airgun.com in technical information. That may help, along with the purdy pictures. And if it doesn't, use the pics and make the rest up - I bet your physics teacher doesn't know how it works either. (mostly joking) I think you're a lucky stiff to be up late over an automag project - Ihave to write about the hundred days congress and the new deal/effects on business vs individuals. :eek:

PFAutomag33
04-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Go to the AGD website ( http://www.airgun.com ), and they have a diagram in there you can probably print out. It is labeled if I remember correctly. Hope it helps!

DoctorStox
04-11-2002, 08:09 PM
thanx a lot fellas, airgun designs is making this too easy, i almost feel bad having it this easy, while my friends do compression jet engines..ALMOST

DoctorStox
04-11-2002, 08:19 PM
hey guys, anybody out there got any data for me. i would really like to know stuff like max rof that a stock mag can get. also, firing patterns, as well as if anybody can measure and/or weigh their stock automag for me, i would apreciate it.

Rocp15126
04-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Well since your dealing with a pneumatic system the easy Physics relations would be mostly dealing with pressure. You could relate how the temperature during the day/season affects the pressure in the bottle/gun (pressure vessel). Talk about the various stages/forms that the gas in the bottle takes.(liquid CO2, gas, vapor pressure etc.) You could talk about a venturi bolt and related Bernoulli's principle. Explain why there is porting on the barrel and how it affects the ball. Why the ball has the trajectory it has.

There are a lot of things you could go on to relate it to physics. Someone earlier said to check out any thread here. They are right you could find endless debates on the physics. Just trying to give you some simple physics that your teacher might like/buy. lol

Rocp15126

DoctorStox
04-11-2002, 08:27 PM
yeah, i would rather not get into the barrel thing, i ahve read prob about a total of 200 pages (literaly) on that topic in all the forums. i was think more going into the elastic force and stuff in the bolt spring, the impact force of the bolt on the ball, and the impulse on the bolt and the ball and the pressures in the reg and chamber, and maybe the friction in the bolt, and how if you cycle very fast for a oong time, the body and bolt heat up. alos, the way the foamieless bolt performs in the cold. i will also not go into upgrades, because god knows i dont have enough hours till 7th period tomorrow. well, thanx a bunch guys, but if anybody can throw some numbers at me while i do some typing, it will be nice, but yeah, i will look myself.

tysonmachado
04-11-2002, 11:55 PM
The stock automag with powerfeed, carbon fiber grip frame, rubber stock grips, and no barrel weighs 2 pounds.

It sounds like you are talking about high school physics, so I won't throw any equations or vector notations at you. They would probably look a little suspicious. You could talk about projectile motion. The primary forces affecting the paintball in flight are friction (air resistance), gravity, and possibly wind. Gravitational acceleration is constant and independant of mass, and directed towards the earth. Acceleration due to friction is dependant on momentum and in the opposite direction of travel. Long story short, the only real factors in maximum range are muzzle velocity and the angle of initial travel. You could also explain that the primary source of improved consistency over a lower end gun (assuming identical paint to barrel match) is the built in regulator, and why this is.

That should give you a good start. You should consider yourself lucky. My Physics assignment for tomorrow is to find the electric field, magnetic field, and Poynting vector in a plane which intersects coaxial cylinders connected by a battery at one end and a resistor at the other. At least you don't need to use any calculus or differential equations!