PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!!!!!

shartley
04-12-2002, 06:30 AM
Adventures at the Hartley house…..

Last night after dinner, I had my Wife give me a haircut. We were ALMOST through with it when over the buzz of the clippers we heard some God Awful Screaming!

Needless to say this took us by surprise. First the clippers were turned off to determine whether the sound was from the TV in the living room, the radio, or what. Well, it turned out it was from the “what”. My wife dropped the clippers on the counter and I whipped off my “hair cutting cape” like Zorro and we both took off.

We ran through the house to the source of the screaming (which was the back yard) with horrific thoughts running through our heads. It is amazing the amounts of bad things that can run through your head in a fraction of a second.

You see, we have a Rottweiller and our youngest is only 20 months old. You can imagine the visions THAT brought up in our minds. I know this is a terrible thing to think, and our dog is the most wonderful and sweet dog you could ever hope for, BUT…. in times of fear ALL the possibilities emerge themselves in their most horrific forms.

Well, as we ran through the back door onto the patio, we were relieved to not find an out of control dog with a child half torn apart hanging from her mouth. THANK GOD! What we did see was our 14 year old daughter Jess laying on the ground and screaming in pain. No blood, no signs extruding bones, just laying there with one leg bent.

To say we were instantly relieved would be putting it mildly. However with THAT said, we immediately felt a bit of guilt for being “happy” that it was “just” Jessica laying there. Oh the rides your emotions can take you on in times of crisis.

Well, I went over to her and saw at once that she had dislocated her knee. Jess had been playing soccer with our dog and made a sharp turn and kicked at the same time. POP That did it. Painful, yes, life threatening, not likely… Dad felt much better.

I had my Wife call 911 and got Jess a blanket. I did my best to keep her mind off the pain and stayed with her until the Paramedics arrived. I then let them do their job. And off to the ER we went… Jess in the ambulance, Mom and Dad in the car, the rest of the kids at home worrying.

Well, with the morphine given to her in IV at the house, more at the ER, and then some Nitrox (sp? Laughing Gas) to say Jess was feeling okay would be an understatement. LOL They got her knee back in place and we were out of there (keep in mind this is ER time which takes 1 hour for every minute of actual “real” time needed to complete a task… LOL) and on our way home with Jess in a pretty blue knee brace and owning a nice set of crutches.

She got to stay home from school today, but is feeling badly because it takes her so long to get around. I told her she will do alright. Plus I guess Dad will have to drive her to school for a while (the kids normally walk… got to love rezoning of bus routs… all these years of bussing and now they determine we live about a half a block too close to school.. go figure.).

Well….. since you all seem to like to talk about your “injuries” I would share the latest at the Hartley house. The last one was two years ago when Jay broke both bones in his left forearm. Let’s pray it is as LEAST another two years before another…..

Oh… my haircut turned out okay. ;)

Mango
04-12-2002, 07:06 AM
Well Im glad to hear that your woofer dident cause any harm!! I hope her knee heals fast. As I was reading it I thought "oh man dont tell me the rotty...." :cool:

Clare
04-12-2002, 07:08 AM
The dog probably had a "I didn't do it" look on his/her face. :)

I'm glad to hear your daughter is okay!

cphilip
04-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Wow what a scary moment. I know your heart must have about stopped. Glad it all turned out ok so far. and you got your hair cut! Wish Her well for us all.

Croix71
04-12-2002, 07:53 AM
Last night after dinner, I had my Wife give me a haircut. We were ALMOST through with it

Your wife did finish your haircut right? hehe, depending on the cut an unfinished haircut can look a bit strange. ;)

Glad to hear your daughter is o.k. :D

synreal
04-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Croix71

Your wife did finish your haircut right? hehe, depending on the cut an unfinished haircut can look a bit strange. ;)

Glad to hear your daughter is o.k. :D

... and that kids is how the mullet was born ;)

manike
04-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Lmao @ Synreal.

But seriously my sympathies to your daughter. Dislocations can be very nasty and often feel as bad as breaks. A knee dislocation is actually very serious and could haunt her in later life. Make sure she goes easy until it is fully healed, not just until she thinks it feels ok.

I had to give up rugby because of a second major dislocation of my shoulder.

manike

shartley
04-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Thanks folks…

SprayingMango
No kidding…. But thankfully it was not the dog. :) Actually more people visit the ER because of “small” dogs than larger ones, but that fact does not seem to change “public perception”. LOL They see what they want to see. And I REALLY don’t think “China” (our dog) would hurt Hope (our youngest). And Hope sure loves the heck out of her “chy chy” (as she calls her). :D

CaPoEiRa
LOL Actually China ran into the house as soon as it happed… we just did not see her. I guess Jessica’s screaming gave her the idea to get as far away as she could so that noone WOULD get the wrong impression. LOL

cphilip
No kidding…. Something only parents can truly know. ;)

Croix71
Yes, she finished it. She was only on her “final sculpting” part. I sport a high and tight most of the time now.

synreal
CLASSIC! LOL

manike
No doubt. I blew out my knee while skiing and even to this day it acts up at times. I should have went with a slower healing and recovery time, but did not want to miss work (was Law Enforcement at the time). Luckily Jess is MUCH younger.. LOL.. she should heal fine as long as we don’t let her get ahead of herself (as you pointed out).

EVERYONE
Thanks… I will pass it along to Jess. I just spoke to her and she seems to be doing much better. She will get a kick out of everyone wishing her well. :D

Webmaster
04-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Thats why we should ban:

Dogs
Soccer
Playing outside

and we need to set up a gov. program to distribute morphine to everyone (oh, sweet sweet morphine - I miss thee so_

Seriously - hope she pulls through ok - kids are tough and bounce back pretty quick.

TheTramp
04-12-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm glad to hear that your daughter will be fine. You're luckier than you know. If you had been part of a sitcom, at the first scream your wife would have slipped and carved a nice reverse mohawk through the middle of your hair. :eek:

Quiet
04-12-2002, 11:58 AM
That sucks. At least she did it young enough that she should heal up good as new. Old people don't seem to heal as well.

My sympathies.:(

FooTemps
04-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Glad to hear that she's fine... and lucky your wife didn't slip up when she heard the scream! I could just see that happening...
"Ok, I'm almost done"
::SCREAM!::
::BUZZ!::
"AHH!!! MY HEAD!!!"

PFAutomag33
04-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Sorry about your daughter.

I am laughing to myself right now because that reminds me of an incident I had with my dog. I threw a frisbee in the back yard, and my dog was about 50 feet away, and to the left. Well, the frisbee landed about 25 feet from both of us, and I ran towards it and my dog did the same. I was almost at the frisbee and realized the dog wasn't going to stop. At the point where the frisbee hit, my dog took my legs right out from underneath me while I was running full speed. Needless to say, it hurt but thankfully nothing serious.

Sorry Shartley for what happened!

-Jôker-
04-12-2002, 07:29 PM
)reminds me of how much i get hurt (im 15) first trip to ER was uij first grade hit my head on a wall and gotr 4 stiches... 7 th grade wiped oyut on bike baaaad i wasd racing downhill in the neighborhood and while pedaling i suome how turned my handle bars comletely side ways and then fell straight to the ground i guess because i was unconsious at this point well atleast i dont remember ther actual fall any ways i qwent down hit my head scraped arms andthen me and bike flipped toghethet asbout 3 times and by that time friends where at finish line waiting for me to get up but it didnt happen cause i was unconsoius for about 10-30 seconds for all i know but i woke up to one of mt friends saYING "TYLER!~~~!! DUDE YOU ALRIGHT THAT WAS A AWESOME CRASH!!!1' but i wasnt really fully awake everythimg was blurry and i kinda coasted slowly down the hill and got to the dudes house his parenbts called my mom and i went to the ER again got like a 1000000 x rays and turned out only had a fractured shoulder and a concussion and some bad road rash ;) :rolleyes: my third trip i about broke my thumb landing bad off a ramp (on my bike again :D