PDA

View Full Version : why do mags chop ?

KAPP667
04-12-2002, 03:34 PM
When I traded my completley tricked cocker for a nice minimag with a dye 2x trigger freame, venturi bolt, and a few other parts most people told me I was stupid. Everyone sais mags chop like the iron chef. However I have broken maybe 2-3 balls in about 8 cases. Brittle paint like "steel" even holds up. I make a good bore match and use plastic nubbins now. I'm jujst wondering why 75% of the people around me think mags a chopping machinces ?

But with that aside, I love my mag, looks real nice, never breaks or chops, accurate enbough and fast enough for me. Mags are gonna be around for a long time, even if i do eventually upgrade to angel, matrix, ect. i plan on keeping it.

Mags forever !!!

FrAuStY
04-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Most people don't or won't train their trigger finger to run complete strokes on the trigger... this can cause the gun to short stroke (the bolt will fly forward with half a ball in and out of the powerfeed etc) this will cause a chop. Since you had an autococker prior to owning a mag you had to run full strokes to cycle the gun porperly... thats why you don't chop as often. Thats like me...I have chopped paint maybe 3x since I bought my mag last september. I really think its user rather than gun error. Just figured I'd throw my opinion out there for ya to chew on :) PEEEACE!
:cool:

NaVySeAl
04-12-2002, 03:46 PM
The only people who chop a lot of balls are people with uncoordinated trigger fingers, or people who just haven't gotten the idea that they have to complete a full trigger pull with the finger to shoot the balls correctly.

MrMag
04-12-2002, 05:03 PM
also a lot of these ppl have never fired a mag before. i have only broken about 10 balls in the time i have had my mag...and it was cause i got shot straight down the barrel and didnt know it.

Restola
04-12-2002, 06:35 PM
there are a couple reasons a mag would chop when some other guns wont. these would be having an old powerfeed plug (was my problem), or the already mentioned short stroking.

i think mags do have a rep as choppers, they did for me, so when people start doing things that make almost any gun chop (shooting while running, not turning on revy, bad paint, bad barrel/paint match) they assume its the gun and not their own mistakes.

rjvemt1
04-12-2002, 06:40 PM
also, if you have a shortstack in the classic body the blow back from the bolt will slow the fall of the last few balls. so before the VL2000 (grandfather of the revy)a jammed loader would cause chops quite fequently, that is why the powerfeed was developed. :D

MikeCouves
04-12-2002, 07:32 PM
And if you messed around with internal parts like the sear, and like new triggers (IFrame exempt) can send the timing off a bit. Best thing to do is stick to AGD parts, maintain your mag properly.

It's not that hard to avoid shortstroking. It's like with almost any marker, you have to practice and practice with it. Practice makes perfect. Lol, that's what teachers always say.