PDA

View Full Version : Might be buying a new tv--which one guys?

ScoobYSnax
04-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Hey, what's up all? Well, I got an x-box a few months ago, and my dad and I are finishing up the basement a little. I want to buy a new tv to go down there to compliment my xbox. I have $500 to spend, what do you guys think I should get? I am heavily leaning towards a 32", here is what I found:

Toshiba 32" 32A61---component video, tons of inputs, PIP, stand for TV, all for $500

If you guys have any suggestions/experiences with some tv's around what I'm looking for, let me know!

ScoobYSnax
04-13-2002, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.... do u know where I could find one of those cheap? All 32" flats i see are like $750+, and a 27" flat i feel is just a lil small. Hmm...

Mango
04-13-2002, 05:26 PM
That toshiba you found look like a sweet deal. If it has component inputs it has to meet a certain standard, which is a pretty darn high standard. I doubt its progressive scan, but dont worry about that. As I understand it, the XBox has a special "high definition" output capability, does that use component video? If so, stick with that Toshiba and use that, the XBox will look gorgeous!!!

Major Ho
04-16-2002, 06:14 PM
See if you can get a hold of a Consumer Reports that features TV's. They always have the best buys to steer you in the right direction.

TigerMan
04-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Like vf-xx said, I'd go for a Flatscreen. I just recently got a 27" Sony Wega Flatscreen, and its amazing. It truly does make the picture appear larger like vf-xx said. I have a 35" TV (not flatscreen) in my downstairs and I thought the Flatscreen appeared larger. And I believe mine was under $600 (not sure on the price, my dad bought it). But I personally give the flatscreens a look.

cphilip
04-17-2002, 01:59 PM
The Toshiba sounds fine to me.

nw2c2003
04-18-2002, 12:07 AM
I have a 60 inch phillips magnavox thats what I would suggest. Remember there is no replacement for displacement.

mrhooie
04-18-2002, 08:29 AM
The Toshiba is a great deal (especially the Cinema Series line which is the model number you gave)

I would take the deal and then save up for 2006 when HDTV is slated to become the standard signal in North America. TV prices will be lower and you'll be getting the most up to date technology

As for the component video on the Toshiba, it's just that and it won't handle progressive scan (only HDTV ready tvs can process a progressive scanned signal)

Flat Screen is the way to go, however, if you're on a budget - the Toshiba is a great deal