PDA

View Full Version : Impulse....

Skoad
04-13-2002, 08:35 PM
Today i played AGAINST an impulse for the first time. It was a bunch of guys at school just playin woods ball. Anyway i never thought a marker being quiet would make much of a difference except when i heard the impy shoot. GOOD GOD that thing was a whisper half the time i didn't even know he was shooting at me.

He works at the local field/pro shop and i asked him about mags and he rattles off something about "paint blenders" and tells me if i want a good tournament level marker to get an impulse.

How good are impy's? From today i was certainly impressed with it.

paintballrulzs
04-13-2002, 08:38 PM
Impulses are awesome. Vision impulses are the best

Skoad
04-13-2002, 08:48 PM
yea the guy didn't have a vision one but he said the only difference is that the first shot he fires with his the ball just rolls down the barrel and he has to toss it out before he plays

lopxtc
04-13-2002, 08:48 PM
I use to own an Impulse ... vision ... and actually just recently traded it from an EMag setup ...
They are very very nice markers ... like you found out, very quiet ... and little to no kick with a delrin bolt.
With the vision you will never chop ... and it has what I consider to be the best ACE setup. Unlike all the others on the market, the Impulses vision does not let the marker fire if there is not ball. On the Sandridge, "Timmy" ... and others, their eye only stop the bolt from moving for a short period of time ... it will still however fire ... which means that you can still chop with them. Just this last week I was chopping with my Timmy just because of that reason.
I do highly recommend them ... especially with vision ... and only traded mine because I wanted a new toy *L* ...

Aaron

lopxtc
04-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Skoad
yea the guy didn't have a vision one but he said the only difference is that the first shot he fires with his the ball just rolls down the barrel and he has to toss it out before he plays

Yeah this is a problem common to almost all Impulses ... something to do with the hammer ... there are supposed fixes for this, but I still encountered this issue. Honestly I never though anything of it, I just fired right before the matched started. *L* It also helps if your tourney only requires one clearing shot when coming off the field ... I know thats bad, and I never abused that ... but you get the idea.

Aaron

DOWNWITHANGELS
04-13-2002, 11:56 PM
3 players on my team have Impulse visions. Our captain's is the nicest by far. I owned one, but I didnt keep it long because, well, I am an E-mag person.

kilaueakid
04-14-2002, 12:56 AM
The newer impulses now have what they call a "Tapeworm" which prevents the first shot drop off. The freak factory's come stock with them on it and I believe new versions will have it to.

kila

lopxtc
04-14-2002, 06:11 AM
Actually no it doesnt. The Tapeworm just isolated how much air flows between the valve and the solenoid (I think I mis-spelled that.) ... it does not help first shot drop off. This is an Isolation mod, and only helps with bolt stick.

From the Impulse FAQ, Tapeworm Review (http://www.kamworld.net/paintball/reviews/tapeworm.html);
Now for the part you have been waiting for, how did it perform. Like all of the other Isolation mods this one eliminated the problem with bolt stick and helped, but did not cure the first shot drop off problem. It also changed the sound of the Impulse. Cycling was obviously smoother, but our efficiency dropped. This was nothing new as we experience the same problem when testing some of the other Iso mods. So we upped the pressure a little and lengthened the Dwell a little and all was good.

Aaron

Originally posted by kilaueakid
The newer impulses now have what they call a "Tapeworm" which prevents the first shot drop off. The freak factory's come stock with them on it and I believe new versions will have it to.

kila

-§on-
04-14-2002, 08:29 AM
The 5th man on my team used to own one. I liked it, I was going to buy one, but the only problem with his is he messed with it and it turned into a 10bps blender. You would start shooting and It would all be good then you would just chopped. That was user error. It WAS perfectly timed, until he messed with it. I shot his dad's shocker and I liked that so I got one. Those are quiet and the shoot fast enough for me. Same thing almost, but closed bolt, nice stock barrel, and a 12volt can keep up with it with the proper mods.

liigod
04-14-2002, 12:23 PM
first shot low is on all impusles. Even my friends eclipse vision. Also the timmy vision is better than the impuse for the fact that you see any color paint with it, and its cheaper to replace if it gets broken. And...I own both a sandridge f5 and an intimidator, ad NEITHER ONE has EVER chopped a ball. EVER. How about that :-D

lopxtc
04-14-2002, 01:22 PM
*L* I need to update my sig ... but I also have/had the Impulse, Timmy, and Sandridge ... And have managed to chop only because the hopper wasnt feeding fast enough ... the eye didnt sense a ball ... delayed the moving of the bolt and then the ball fell just as the bolt moved forward. Now this isnt the eyes fault, its the loaders fault. I myself would prefer an eye that keeps the marker from firing instead of delaying for up to a second and leading to a chop.
As for the black paint ... this really isnt a good arguement(no offense) since there isnt anyone forcing a color paint on you ...
I will give it to the F5 and Timmy for not needing to adjust the sensetivity of the eye to the paint.

Aaron

Originally posted by liigod
first shot low is on all impusles. Even my friends eclipse vision. Also the timmy vision is better than the impuse for the fact that you see any color paint with it, and its cheaper to replace if it gets broken. And...I own both a sandridge f5 and an intimidator, ad NEITHER ONE has EVER chopped a ball. EVER. How about that :-D