PDA

View Full Version : Co2+Mag=?

MJS1214
04-14-2002, 06:39 AM
can someone give me a definite answer:
what would happen if i hooked up a co2 bottle to a mag and played with it?
what are the alternitives?i cant afford nitro right now

blockarm50
04-14-2002, 07:58 AM
I have heard that mags dont do well on co2. a way you could use it is to set it up with a remote line and regulator/expansion chamber.

SlipknotX556
04-14-2002, 08:17 AM
co2+mag=BAD. I tried that once and I almost killed my mag. I would suggest a remote. Expansion chambers dont work that good (In my mind).

mag59459
04-14-2002, 08:21 AM
mags work ok with CO2 when it is warm, over 60 degrees, as long as you don't tip the bottle down(unless you have an anti-syphin). An expantion chamber will help but for the price of a nice CO2 set up you might as well buy a cheap $100 68ci 3000psi and have it work ten times better.

XspyX
04-14-2002, 08:24 AM
All you need to do is get an angled bottomline. I had that and a gas-thru grip and I played all day in 40deg weather. BUT, when I tried to use the standard duckbill bottomline...ekrrgg

Croix71
04-14-2002, 08:42 AM
I don't know what physical damage would happen to the valve but if liquid does get into the valve you'll notice that valve will feel cold and you will be shooting hot at various speeds. 270 1st shot and 300+ 2nd shot etc.

I went with a vertical adapter and used an anti-siphon tank at first. Then I went with a remote line.

MJS1214
04-14-2002, 08:44 AM
how long does it take before u need to hydro-test a brand new crossfire tank?like a 47/3000?

does anyone know how many shots u can get out of a 9oz co2 tank?

Brian68mag
04-14-2002, 10:22 AM
BOUT 3 YEARS ON THAT HYDRO , SOME ARE SWITCHING TO 5 THOUGH..
9OZ CO2, LESS THEN 400, MAGS ARE GAS HOGS :/

AND CO2 AND MAGS DONT MIX, GET A 68/3000 AND BE DONE WITH IT ;/

MikeCouves
04-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Well steel tanks have to be hydrod every 5 years, and luxfer carbon fiber tanks are 5, and the other carbon fibers are 3 years.

Well, if you run it vertical with CO2 it works fine. But using it on a bottom line or drop forward gets nasty.

MJS1214
04-14-2002, 11:30 AM
k so which tank do u all reccamend?i need the cheapest possible though

mrkbik
04-14-2002, 11:55 AM
The best alternative to using a nitro system is buying an expansion chamber.I was going to do that for my mag, but i just decided to get money out of the bank and get nitro.

You can get some great deals on expansion chambers at www.predator-paintball.com

veritas
04-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Mags are gas hogs!....Any kind of gas that is...Bottom line is using co2 in a mag is like feeding a ferrari regular gas...save up, don't eat that week if necessary and pick up a nitro tank...look at it this way, from not eating, u'll be lighter and quicker on the break out...and hungrier!:D

magworks
04-14-2002, 01:17 PM
The cheapest are the Pure Energy 48ci 3000 psi tanks, you can pick one up at paintballgear.com for $70 plus shipping. However in the advertising they say it gets about 500 shots per fill and people have been saying that the mag uses a lot of air so you may get even less shots than that out of it.

mrkbik
04-14-2002, 01:29 PM
the cheapest is 48ci but i would recommend 68 just cause its bigger it will probably pay the 40 dollars more than 48 off in fills. but whatever you decide........

J
04-14-2002, 04:43 PM
Seeing that you live in Boca, I'd say CO2 won't be that bad. When I first got my Mag, I had a vertical CO2 tank setup. I loved it, most balanced mag one could have, and the only problem I had was that it blew my Macro line. Of course it didn't work as well as nitro, so I switch to nitro when I could afford the tank. Try vertical if you can't get nitro.

FooTemps
04-14-2002, 04:55 PM
hmm... BTautomag has a perfect co2 setup... It's a beast though. Not the best looking mag out there but it works.

personman
04-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Try a steel tank. I like mine cuz its nice and small.
I got mine for 110 new from crossfire, but I think the price has gone up. 68/3000 Stubby tank. I get 600-700 shots or so from it. I think..

MJS1214
04-14-2002, 07:29 PM
k so what tank should i get from where?lol j/k thanks everyone

RATM
04-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by magworks
The cheapest are the Pure Energy 48ci 3000 psi tanks, you can pick one up at paintballgear.com for $70 plus shipping. However in the advertising they say it gets about 500 shots per fill and people have been saying that the mag uses a lot of air so you may get even less shots than that out of it.
Was playing today with my PE 48/3k and got about 600-700 shots.

MrMag
04-14-2002, 11:19 PM
i dont know about that, my friend uses one of those and after about 7 games he still had about 1500 psi, after being filled to 2500 and he shoots a lot. and if u dont get a lot of shots out if it just remember that air fills are cheap. btw dont ever use co2 in a mag...it is really bad for the bolt and valve

Cristobal
04-14-2002, 11:28 PM
can someone give me a definite answer:
what would happen if i hooked up a co2 bottle to a mag and played with it?
what are the alternitives?i cant afford nitro right now

Here's the deal, you want to keep liquid CO2 out of your Mag. If you just hook up a CO2 bottle to your mag, without an anti-siphon or remote, you [EDIT: may have problems] with liquid getting from the tank and into the valve. Too much liquid in the valve will freeze the valve and vital o-rings, particularly in the on-off assembly, may be damaged. You also run the risk of hot shots when the liquid expands.

The best cheap way to keep liquid out is with either an anti-siphon tank or remote line, and an expansion chamber to help flash off any vapor. Especially because you're in Florida, this may be enough and work fine. Angled bottom-line ASA's or a vertical on-gun mount direct to a mini-mag's ASA can also help keep liquid out.

That being said, this is not the optimal way to run CO2. The general consensus on this board seems to be that if you're going to run CO2, then THE way to do it is with an anti-siphon tank and a Palmer Stabilizer regulator. The stabilizer (or other CO2 friendly reg) will take the place of the expansion chamber, or in some cases work in conjunction with one, and do far more for you than an expansion chamber alone. The stabilizer in particular is known for its effectiveness in preventing liquid CO2 from entering the marker. The other big benefit of a regulator is a consistent pressure input to the gun, despite variances in tank pressure due to rapid firing or outside temperature.

Thing is, a Stabilizer will cost around $70-80 -- not exactly budget, and as has been pointed out you may want to get a cheap 48/3000 compressed air system for the same price (taking consideration of the benefits of nitrogen and the differences in shot count per tank and size/weight issues vs. CO2). The PMI system has been mentioned, and I've also hear a lot of good things about Crossfire's 47/3000 preset system.

liigod
04-14-2002, 11:32 PM
palmer stabalizer = good
co2 + mag = :mad:

XspyX
04-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Cristobal
Here's the deal, you want to keep liquid CO2 out of your Mag. If you just hook up a CO2 bottle to your mag, without an anti-siphon or remote, you will undoubtedly get liquid straight from the tank and into the valve

Not true. You want proof? I live in Maine people and I ran my older mag off a 12oz pin valve tank for about 3 months. No expansion chamber, no remote, no anti-syphon and I played in 40-50 degree weather.

This was my setup:
http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL7/52876/217944/2898734.jpg

That was about a year ago, all I had to prevent the liquid co2 was an angled "tear drop" style drop forward and a gas-thru grip.

Now, when I tried this setup with a friends lapco drop, I sucked liquid after about 20 shots. It was impossible to play.

SO, my conclusion comes to this: In order to run a cheap co2 setup, all you need is a 10* bottomline or an angled drop.

I speak from expirence, unlike most of the people in this thread who have been surrounded by myths.

Scootyd
04-15-2002, 11:58 AM
To start with I'm not claiming to be a rocket scientist, I drank my way out of the aerospace program. I run co2 by preference soley because a buddy that I play outlaw with has a fill station and my 68/3000 won't last long enough. I have a six stage expansion chamber and run anti siphon tubes in my tanks. Most everyone above is correct in that if the weather is below 50 degrees I have had cases of freeze down after 10 quick rounds. On the flip side, when the weather is warmer, 55 and up, I can play with little worry. I also tend to play a lot of commando woods type scenarios and find that the smaller physical size of the co2 tank is nice when spending half a day low crawling. I run nitro at my local field and I have yet to had either one "damage" my marker.

Cristobal
04-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Not true. You want proof? I live in Maine people and I ran my older mag off a 12oz pin valve tank for about 3 months. No expansion chamber, no remote, no anti-syphon and I played in 40-50 degree weather.

I concede the point:)

Actually in rereading my post, I do think that sentence about "undoubtably" is worded too strongly.