PDA

View Full Version : Locktite

spazzed
04-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Anyone know where I can get my hands on some locktite 545? I believe that's the correct stuff. using teflon tape right now, works fine, but I've heard locktite is better.

Xen
04-16-2002, 07:31 PM
you can buy it at any hobby store or hardwear store I think.... Locktited fittings must be heated to remove... I use teflon tape and i have no probs but if you want to use locktite check a hobby/ hardwear store

~Xen

RT pRo AuToMaG
04-16-2002, 08:39 PM
teflon tape is alot better then the loctite stuff. at least from my experiences, the loctite will leak if you only put a little bit

Dayspring
04-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Xen
you can buy it at any hobby store or hardwear store I think.... Locktited fittings must be heated to remove... I use teflon tape and i have no probs but if you want to use locktite check a hobby/ hardwear store

~Xen

That all depends on what kind of loctite you use. Red- need heat and alot of strength. Blue- just fine. I used it on several markers- on parts that don't regularly need moving/fixing/replacing. Mainly for parts that may vibrate loose.

Blennidae
04-16-2002, 10:11 PM
Loc tite 545 was a bit hard for me to track down. They didn't sell it at any of the local run of the mill hardware stores. I had to go to an industrial supply store. It is a thread sealant, not a thread locker. I used it on the connections I didn't plan on changing much (valves, my flatline) but I use the yellow gas line teflon for the "generic" connections (ss hose to QD, etc.)

Hope that helps.

spazzed
04-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Sure does, Thanks a lot.

Thordic
04-17-2002, 06:26 AM
Yep, its hard to find. Grainger carries it.

It's not cheap either, but it works great. I paid like $25 for a pretty big bottle that I'm not even close to running out of, and I use a lot of it.

Shaft
04-17-2002, 06:41 AM
I believe that either 888paintball or paintballgear.com carry it now.

It is expensive stuff around $25-30 a bottle.

Some on this thread seem to be confused. 545 is thread sealer by Loctite. Good stuff. Not thread locker.

Another word... I have successfully used the ACE Hardware brand thread sealer for the HPA fittings. It's only $5 a tube.

KayleAGD
04-17-2002, 08:16 AM
most auto part stores sell PERMATEX. they also have a version of the sealant..

545 is all I use anymore

HoppysMag
04-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Teflon tape for me thanx.......... but for perminant fittings loctite is the way to go.

steveg
04-17-2002, 08:36 AM
I like loctite PST (pipe sealant with teflon, says so right on the tube) #592

comes in 6ml size at auto and hardware stores

athomas
04-17-2002, 08:41 AM
If you have a chance to get Loctite thread sealant, use it instead of teflon tape. The tape will get brittle and pieces can break off in the air line and get into the internals of your gun causing fluctuations in performance.

Thordic
04-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Hoppys, pay attention :)

LocTite 545 is NOT permanant. It doesn't even really offer any resistance when you need to unscrew the fitting. All it does is seal against pressure.

It seals my threads perfectly, hell, it even sealed up 2" steel pipe threads with only a small amount on my potato gun.

It's also rated to something like 10,000 PSI of pressure.

Teflon tape may work ok, but if you get a chunk in your reg or somewhere, you won't be happy :)

But 545 is far from permanant.

Off the LocTite Website:

Designed for both hydraulic and pneumatic systems, 545 contains no fillers or particles which could contaminate system fluids, foul valves, or clog fine filters and screens. 545 has excellent solvent resistance and a temperature range of -65°F to +300°F Available Worldwide

Applications: Used to lock and seal hydraulic and pneumatic fittings, servomechanisms, and fine-filtration systems. This Teflon-free product is specially formulated to offer lubricity for easy assembly.

I suppose it does "lock" to a degree against fitting backing out from pressure or vibration, but I honestly notice no more resistance from 545 than bare threads, pretty much.

Another handy Loctite.com tidbit:

Thread Sealant 592 - High Performance (400°F)

Contains lubricating properties that allow proper assembly of pipe fittings. Instant seal permits immediate pressure testing of tapered pipe threads. Withstands continuous temperatures to 400°F.

This stuff is a paste, not a liquid. It contains particles that could effect your gun, especially if some get into your gun. The nice thing about 545 is its a liquid until is in an air-free environment. So if a drop gets into your gun, it should blow through anything it gets in contact with instead of clogging it and leaving particles behind.

BTAutoMag
04-17-2002, 09:50 AM
i like telon tape better. easier to apply

BlackVCG
04-17-2002, 09:52 AM
Yay! *BlackVCG high-fives steveg* I use only 592 PST after having tried 545. PST does NOT have little particles that can get in your gun. It's a relatively thick paste that never fully hardens. Take off a fitting that had 545 and a fitting that had 592 and with the 545 you'll have hard flakes that break off the threads. Also, with the 592 you can gas up the gun right after you tighten the fittings. The 545 needs a cure time. I've had fittings that won't seal with 545 and they end up sealing with 592. I don't care what 545 says on the bottle, 592 just works better.

HoppysMag
04-17-2002, 09:59 AM
i know its not permanent. What im saying is put it on things that you won’t change often.... i like teflon tape because its quick and easy. you’ve got 3 minuets till the next game and your gun is leaking.... 3 minuets i can replace all of the fittings with teflon tape, it takes time for Loctite to dry.

Thordic
04-17-2002, 10:33 AM
Black - if its a paste, that means its a mixture of solids (particles) and liquids.

The fact it never dries probably means it has a solvent in it as well, which would technically be bad to any orings you happen to get it on.

Chunks of paste won't blow through your gun. Drops of liquid will :)

steveg
04-17-2002, 10:43 AM
Never had any such problems, first apply it above the lead
thread, so that nothing can get into the air flow.(this applies to tape as well)
second it never dries out so I don't think it has solvents
(who's effect has been overstated once or twice)

third I have both mag and matrix it would take a huge lump
of stuff (that doesn't exist in the first place) to choke a
mag valve and the itty bitty solenoid on the matrix can pass more than you would think.

tape on the other hand can and does cause problems if incorrectly used.

lonsch
04-17-2002, 12:20 PM
blackVCG - The real question is: Does 592 taste as good as 545? Seriously has anyone tasted loctite? You wont be disappointed :)

Thordic
04-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Loctite 545 does smell pretty good... sorta like grape motor oil :)

jasonpbmaxx
04-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Check with your local pro shop they should carry the mini .02 oz 545 packets. 545 is far superior to teflon and it doesn't degrade over time. The best thing with 545 is to let it sit without airing it for a day. It is a sealant so if you air it up prematurely, you will get air bubbles in the sealant and it won't harden properly. We use 545 on all of the air fittings like hoses, qd's, 90's, etc.

Ok I've talked long enough :)

BlackVCG
04-17-2002, 05:40 PM
*sigh*

Thordic- Don't knock it when you haven't used it. I have 545 and 592. I've used them both many times. The fact of the matter is I won't use 545 on my personal equipment ever again. The 592 is so viscous and there are no large solid particles so it's not going to send little chunks through your valve.

BTAutoMag
04-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by lonsch
blackVCG - The real question is: Does 592 taste as good as 545? Seriously has anyone tasted loctite? You wont be disappointed :)

i prefer drinking gas or sniffing glue... less dangerous, but to each his own.

ProjectMag
04-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
i prefer drinking gas or sniffing glue... less dangerous, but to each his own.

Eating paint chips is my thing. ;)

InfinatyBPS
04-17-2002, 11:36 PM
I bought some blue thread locker stuff, works good, keeps things tight but not too tight and for abou the same ammount as a loc tite for $8, I payed $3, it wasn't realy off brand, just not loc-tite.