PDA

View Full Version : chrome & nickel plating

Croix71
04-16-2002, 08:38 PM
I did a search on this subject and I got a lot of useful information. There was a lot of discusiion but what I didn't find was follow up info on the subject. If anyone has chrome or nickel plated their guns, how did it turn out? Was it worth it? Have you had any problems with the plating? Do you have any pics after the plating was done?
Any info would be great. Thanks. :D

kickass68mag
04-16-2002, 09:07 PM
well it came out better than i thought and it was cheaper than i thought it would be to !!

http://forums.paintballcity.com/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=46150

http://forums.paintballcity.com/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=46149

http://forums.paintballcity.com/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=46151

talk to me on AIM if you have any questions or anything i can tell you more about it to, and where i had it done

Croix71
04-17-2002, 12:35 AM
DOh! I can't see the pics. :(

Manuel_FZR
04-17-2002, 02:28 AM
I´m also thinking of chroming my gun, but all I asked said, SS is impossible to chrome :( it will not remain on the material.
Remains the chrome on the gun? Or does it peel off the body?

rx2
04-17-2002, 06:51 AM
Stainless is sometimes good at rejecting platings, but in my experience, chrome should not peel off of stainless, if done correctly. Most "chrome" applications I have seen are actually thin platings of nickel, or a thin, cheap chrome. Show chrome, you might say. These will peel off, and sometimes rather easily.

I used to know someone who worked in a shop that did industrial hard chrome plating (they had even done work for the government and military). I have had several stainless steel items chromed through him, and they are nearly bulletproof. They are extremely scratch resistant, completely oxidation resistant, and I haven't had a single problem with flaking or peeling. While they may not be as bright as nickel, they haven't lost a mirror finish.
Now, the process is more intensive, and one has to be more careful when plating aluminum with this process, as it will pit the aluminum badly if great care isn't taken.

Maybe I got lucky, but after 8 years, none of the items that I had plated are experiencing any problems.

Creative Mayhem
04-17-2002, 07:27 AM
I own a chrome minimag and its been chrome for all 8 yrs. The guy that did my chroming said that they used a three step process for SS
1- copper plating 2- nickel plating 3- chrome plating

My marker is covered with show chrome, good enough for Harley Davidson, and good enough for the last 8yrs. no flaking, peeling, chipping, scratches or anything. The guy I deal with has probably done 15 of my friend's mags all look the same, all are still in the same condition when they came from the plating shop. hope this helps.

Creative Mayhem

rx2
04-17-2002, 08:52 AM
I forgot about 3 step processes. Copper underplating will work fine, as that adheres to the SS quite well, and the chrome to that.

kickass68mag
04-17-2002, 08:57 AM
my gun is all aluminum, and it is fine, no scratches, just a pain to polish, just remember that before you decide to go chrome, if i had known the polishing was so hard, i would have anno'd my gun

subbeh
04-17-2002, 02:43 PM
How much does chrome cost?