PDA

View Full Version : PPS Side Line Stabilizer?

Paintball_Kid13
04-17-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey people thanks for lookin i'm a newbie and i was wondering if the PPS side line stabilizers are any good? Or if i should save up a little more and get an ANS X-2 in-line regulator or somethin thanks for your help

~Spencer~:D :rolleyes: :confused: :) :p

a_malfunction
04-17-2002, 05:03 PM
They are great regs... but what do you need one for?

Paintball_Kid13
04-17-2002, 05:07 PM
i use CO2 if that means anything to you my mini eats gas like theres tomorrow :mad:

subbeh
04-17-2002, 05:53 PM
No need for another reg... it will just starve the reg already built into the AIR valve and create massive shootdown.

If you're sucking down air then you may have another problem.

Paintball_Kid13
04-17-2002, 05:57 PM
can u explain why it eats gas or do i have to contact houstan :p thanks

thei3ug
04-17-2002, 05:58 PM
If another reg starves the guns, then HPA must be the devil.

Stabes are possibly the most tolerant regs for CO2, and the sideline gives you a non-intrusive place to put a reg if you don't have a Vertical adapter, or have a foregrip you want to use.

That being said, it cost around 70... which for not much more you can get a cheapo HPA tank. Some people have to use CO2 on mags, I can understand that, but if it's available in the area...
in some weather nothing will stop CO2.

cphilip
04-18-2002, 06:43 AM
CO2? Get the Palmer! Any one of em. I still think the Male one makes the best set ups. Replaces or acts as a fore grip. Wonderfull product for CO2. Some like the inline one partly because its cheaper but by the time you buy the mounting ring its only like $10 less. And not as clean a look but works very well. I say get the Palmer Male if you have a vert ASA on your marker and if you do not they make one that bolts up without a vert ASA that does the same thing (can't remeber the name of it). They list for like $90 but I have seen them for about 10 or 20 less.

thei3ug
04-18-2002, 06:51 AM
cphillip, it's called a 1/8"npt "direct" stabilizer. It screws into minicocker asa holes and spyder bottomline holes, that way you don't have to pay extra for an asa.

sadly, it doesn't apply to mags.

another thing about the sideline is it allows for no hose between the stabe and the AIR... kinda nice when you're trying to keep fluctuations down.

sorry cphillip, I just think sidelines look cooler. :)

M-a-s-sDriver
04-18-2002, 11:04 PM
If you get the sideline reg, which I think you should do, just remove the AIR reg pin, reg seat and spring and adjust the velocity using the Palmer Stab. You will find it to be more stable than the standard setup and more reliable, and you never have to replace a reg seat again, or worry about venting out the back of the mag. That's how my gun is set up, and I love it.
Brent Jackson, PFB.

HyperSnyper
04-19-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by M-a-s-sDriver
If you get the sideline reg, which I think you should do...
Brent Jackson, PFB.

NO! Whatever Dont listen to him! Dont use a Sideline... Use a female Stabilizer. It looks kewler. And thus, you'll be kewler. Nah, JK. Its all preference. If you do decide to get a Palmer, or any other reg for your Mag, the only way you can see any potential benefits is by gutting the AIR. If you dont gut it out, you can have the most consistent reg in the world, but the AIR will have the final say in velocity control.

If you dont gut the reg, dont bother buying another reg at all, just get HPA use the AIR and be happy.

I use a Female Palmer Bottomline with HPA. The line running to the AIR acts as a volumizer while the gutted cavity in the valve will do the same also. I get +/- 2 fps ever since I got a newer Stabilizer. My old one was the older one, it was the old stabilzers that dont have a slot in the velocity adjuster section to unscrew the pieces apart. The Reg decided to "poop" out on me when I fired pure liquid CO2 in the reg, after firing like 100 rounds after frost was on the barrel, the reg has velocity fluctuations. Dont do this like me. Just because the reg is suppose to handle CO2, doesnt mean you can beat teh shiet out of it.

-Hyper

FatMan
04-19-2002, 03:43 PM
If you have a mini, then you already have a verticle ASA, so the verticle Stab is the one to get. If yo use CO2, it will improve your consistency somewhat - and go a LONG way to keeping liquid out of the AIR, which is a big problem.

Probably, going to HPA would be better, though a little more expensive. My recommendation is save your money and get HPA.

Stabs are still great for other markers though.

FatMan

HyperSnyper
04-19-2002, 04:11 PM
FatMan is right,

If it came down to either running CO2 and Palmer vs. HPA and just plain AIR reg, Id go with the HPA.

Palmers are nice, but if money is tight, just skip the Palmer and get HPA.

Lucky me, I was able to get both.

-Hyper

Bwaites
04-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Sidelines are great, they allowed me to run CO2, except in pretty cold weather where nothing completely solves the problem.

I've switched to Nitro now so my Sideline is for sale, make an offer over 50 and I'll probably sell.

Bill

Paintball_Kid13
04-20-2002, 08:34 AM
OK OK OK i've had mixed feeling on getting one and not cause some of you say NO and some say yea there great and im not f'in with parts in my valve, but if i was to get i nitro/hpa tank i would want a 88/3000 but thats like 190 bucs and i dont have that kinda of money like some of you others with 4 e-mags and angel a.i.r's and all that im only 13 i dont have a job i can afford all the high tech crap that you guys all have and anyways i just play rec no big tourneys, can some one just tell me straight forward if i should get a sideline or not and i dont know why my mini won't even operate good in 45* weather i mean is that true with all co2 users or is there just a prob with my gun i have a 6 stage 32* exspansion chamber if that would help which ive found out it doesn't really but i still want it on there so then i could have the ex. chamber and then the side line stab....... but i would just like to know or i would get a hpa tank if any one has one to offer for a reasonable price.

toymyster
04-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Instead of spending all kinds of money to try to make your mag comfortable with CO2, get a nice, low priced HPA tank, and save up for your desired tank and get that when you can afford!!!

Bwaites
04-20-2002, 10:58 PM
Paintball_kid13,

Mags don't like CO2, but they can be made to work on it. In cold weather, less than 50 degrees, you need a combination of tricks to work. I've tried everything because I live in Washington State and nobody within 100 miles filled Nitro or HPA. I finally got tired of the fight and set up my own Nitro fill station, but it is expensive.

If you have no choice but to use CO2, then here is what I have learned and found to work best. In temperatures less than 40 degrees, you will get freezeup if you shoot longer strings than 3-4 shots without a few second pause, regardless of what you do. If you use a remote, an expansion chamber, and a sideline stabilizer you can play well, but you have to stick to the 3-4 shot burst rule.

In 40-50 degree weather, you can shoot 4-5 shot strings usually. Above 50 and using all three you generally will be ok, but can get freezeup if you shoot long strings.

My last CO2 setup was a remote with 6 stage expansion chamber to a gas through grip to sideline stabilizer. I could play in below 32 degrees weather but had to be careful, not always fun when people are shooting at you! My son still uses this setup on his mag, and does well with it, and he is 13 like you and moves faster than me so when he gets freezeup he runs until his gun unfreezes.

The Stabilizer is the best external regulator you can buy as far as I have been able to tell.

The truth is that you should save your money and buy an HPA/Nitro tank if you can get it filled where you play. If you can't, then use all the tricks and realize that you can't take full advantage of your mag yet, the tricks help, but can't undo the laws of physics. The way your mag is acting is pretty typical of mags, so I don't think you have a unique problem.

Each of the tricks, expansion chamber, remote, and Stabilizer helps some, but none alone is the whole answer, and even together they don't completely fix the problem.

You can get a steel 68/3000 for 115 new, not much more than you would pay for a new Stabilizer and remote. If you get a used Stabilizer you save a little, but don't completely solve the cold problem.

Army, one of the moderators, is a big fan of CO2, so you could email him and see if he has any more suggestions.

Let me know if I can help more.

Good Luck,

Bill

M-a-s-sDriver
04-21-2002, 12:09 AM
If all you want to do is make your mag reliable on co2, then put a vert ASA on it screw a non-siphon 16 oz. tank on that, and get a stock. That is the absolute best way to run a mag on co2. Take a long hose and loop it around once from the ASA to the reg just in case on the off chance you DO get a little liquid in it. The tank is not obtrusive and adds a good nose heavy balance to the Mag. We used to play in the snow in the Sierras all day with this type of setup. Heck, I would'nt even mind playing a tournament with it.
Brent Jackson, PFB.