PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Smartmag!?

Micromag man!
04-18-2002, 07:39 PM
What is a Smart Mag, is it the gun or the valve, cuz if its the valve than im guessing Retro valve is better?

pip_999
04-18-2002, 07:40 PM
as far as i know its just a different type gun
and it has the same stock valve as a classic 68

Nitroduck
04-18-2002, 07:42 PM
Smart Mag = An Automag made by Smart Parts in the mid 90s. It had a new valve in it to lower pressure......SPs first "low pressure" gun.........

Not a bad gun, but still....Not an RT Valve

Aliens-8-MyDad
04-18-2002, 09:29 PM
did it really lower the pressure that much?

a_malfunction
04-18-2002, 09:36 PM
Nah, it didnt lower it by much. I've never shot one, but I've heard that they were very prone to shootdown.

echoes
04-18-2002, 09:36 PM
The smart mag is pretty much the same as a basic 68 automag, except the smart mag's AIR valve is bigger- so it operates at a lower pressure, but it's less efficient and supposedly even has a slower recharge rate but I can't verify that.

Snooky
04-19-2002, 01:04 AM
can i see a pic?

echoes
04-19-2002, 06:44 AM
There's not much to see; they look pretty much like a normal mag, except that it says Smart Parts on the AIR Valve.

SqueegeeKid
04-19-2002, 11:22 AM
I got one and it's the pretty much the same as a normal Mag,
the valve is different and came with some extra stuff (AA barrel, benchy trigger frame w/ Smart Parts printed on the back)I bought it used so i'm not sure exactly what it had on it new.

But man, is it a gashog!

I've heard running microline would starve the valve but i used it for a while with no problems. Went back to my SS hose for cosmetic reasons though.

I don't notice any shootdown. Runs perfect.

I took a pic of the valve, but the film is still in the camera. Mine is pretty old and the etching on the valve is pretty worn, so i doubt it'll turn out good. I'll post it when it gets developed.

BEEFYSAUSAGE
04-19-2002, 04:59 PM
i own a smart mag too and it runs at abought 30 psi less then a normal mag..THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN ANY THING WITH A SMART MAG..i get the same amount of shots per tank as the next mag..BUT!! i got splash ano and a aa barrel+ wood grips
so it looks freakin nice. Anyway dont beleive the hype it like a normal mag.
BEEFY.

BEEFYSAUSAGE
04-19-2002, 05:03 PM
ok here it is..

TITAN
04-19-2002, 05:09 PM
uhhh? beefy thats not a smartmag... smartmags have a small black box on the side of the valve

XspyX
04-19-2002, 06:11 PM
I believe the black box on the side is called the "magic box" and does the same thing. The smart valve has everything internal and nothing outside.

SqueegeeKid
04-19-2002, 08:49 PM
Mine doesn't have a black box on it.
xspyx hit the nail on the head.

BEEFYSAUSAGE
04-19-2002, 09:01 PM
yes its a smartmag..

SqueegeeKid
04-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Nice looking Smartie Beef.
Mines only 26 SmartMags younger than yours. I wonder how many they actually made.

So yours came with a splashkit. Did they all? There isn't alot of info on them, i'm wondering if the guy i bought it off of kept the splash kit and extras and tossed old mag stuff on mine.

BEEFYSAUSAGE
04-19-2002, 10:47 PM
as far as i know they all came with (smarts parts )splash ano and a AA barrel and front grip..if yours didnt come with em then thats a realy bad thing(cause it looks so good)but dont dispare you have a different marker then most of these guys and its a bit of history!
oh and aparently they were popular for a short time so i think there are a few were gettin around,
BEEFY.

SqueegeeKid
04-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Actually i'm glad i got ripped and didn't get the splash. I sanded my entire mag ('cept the trigger frame which will be done soon) and polished it so it's nice and shiny.
I got a new bottle adapter last Sat. cause my old one didn't fit the HPA tank, so the new one is black too. Ich! Gotta fix that!

I don't like the splash, least on my mag.

OldSchoolMag
04-20-2002, 03:27 PM
I had a Magic Box on my old Mag, and it really hurt the performance on my gun - it increased it's air intake, I broke at least 5 balls a case (on a GOOD day) and I had horrible drop off. In my opinion, after 3 years of that gun (half stock and half Magic Box) I would advise against any Smart Parts upgrade towards your gun other than barrel or anything that can be easily reversed.

OSM

BEEFYSAUSAGE
04-20-2002, 04:54 PM
the smart box mod sux and i have seen alot of em around over the years,but my smartmag runs realy well and i have never had problems with it..oh and im getting good rates of fire out of it and very few breaks,
BEEFY.

BTAutoMag
04-20-2002, 08:48 PM
The biggest difference i noticed in mine is that i have very few breaks. in fact the ONLY time i break a ball in it is if im using crappy paint.

SqueegeeKid
04-20-2002, 09:37 PM
Same here, and even then, it's rare for me to break paint.
I broke a ton of paint last Saturday, but i had cheap batteries in my Warp so it wasn't feeding properly.

So, if i do break paint, it's my own dumbass fault and not my guns.

XspyX
04-20-2002, 10:36 PM
I'd actually like to hear Tom's thoughts on the smartvalve. Perhaps he could enlighten us with technical info and detailed dyno graphs. :)

Actually, I think was discussed last year sometime...he probably had allready told us about it, just we forgot!?! :confused:

AGD
04-20-2002, 11:37 PM
Well the Smartmag was cooked up by Smart Parts during the transition from CO2 to compressed air. When you go to compressed air the pressure in all guns has to go up for physics reasons. Anyway this meant that the Mag would run at about 30-50 psi higher than CO2 and it would feel different when you shot it. The Black Box added air chamber so the pressure would be the same as CO2.

The first ones had an extension tube out the side and they tended to leak a lot. We helped out by drilling extra holes in the valve to increase the chamber from the inside. So if you have a smartvalve you run at slightly lower pressure.

AGD

BEEFYSAUSAGE
04-21-2002, 02:37 AM
does this do any thnig to a mags shot count ie:use more gas?