PDA

View Full Version : New mag owner, about ready to give them up! PROBLEMS!!!

striker
04-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Okay, My used Mini mag arrived today, came with a 68/3k Nitro tank, and that's about it. Well, I coulden't get the Nitro tank filled right away, so I got some of my Anti-Syphon CO2 tanks filled and used them to take it for a test drive. Well, every 5th shot or so, it would "sputter" make a weird noise like it's shootdown. And, when I tried to rapid fire, it would sputter 3 out of 4 shots, at BEST. About 100 shots later, the gun froze completely (despite the Anti-Syphon tank). About that point, I just left it there thinking CO2 was the problem. After getting my Nitro tank filled, I tried it again, to no avail. Problem is still there. When I shot some paintballs, the gun was suffering from HORRIBLE shoot down. Coulden't shoot more than 4bps at BEST. About that time, I posted a post in the tech forum addressing my problem, and trying to figure it out. I figured out how to take the gun apart, and I oiled it (one in each little hole on the valve, and 3-4 in the ASA) and replaced every o-ring I saw (it came with a parts kit). Still, doesn't work. Then, I think I may have figured it out. The trigger. I don't know how, but perhaps I'm not pulling the trigger correctly. I tried to get it to "sputter" and have "shoot down" on the second shot. I tried, and succeeded. Perhaps that is my problem, but I really don't know. How in the world can somebody shoot an Automag with such a picky trigger? Even when I take my finger COMPLETELY off the trigger when rapid firing, and even when I'm pulling it COMPLETELY back, it STILL "sputters"
Frankly, I'm just about ready to give up on Mags altogether. Sell it, and buy a 'cocker. But geez... so many of you are happy, why in the world am I having this problem? This is my first day with a mag, and I'm NOT impressed. Maybe I need to get a ReTro Valve to get it to work, but that's $300!! It SHOULD work out of the box! The guy I bought it from said it worked just fine, and he just used it in a game (and I trust him). Now, I'm out of Nitro, and have a Minimag that doesn't work. I've got a game tomorrow, and I'd like to figure this out before then. Maybe my Tippmann is better than a mag after all.... I just don't know... PLEASE HELP!!!

Krazy Ivan
04-19-2002, 11:29 PM
First thing to do, check the length of the trigger rod, that is what it sounds like to me. When the gun is charged you should be able to look at the trigger and see it at least a centimeter away from the trigger rod, otherwise you will constantly short-stroke the mag.
What is sounds like to me is just that you are constantly short-stroking it, it's a very common first time mag shooters nightmare.. Hope that helps, it gets easier with practice, I promise

DaosBeoulve
04-20-2002, 12:16 AM
The distance between the trigger and trigger rod shouldn't be a centimeter. That would put the trigger way out front, or the rod back in the frame. A millimeter or two is fine, just as long as the trigger rod isn't touching the trigger when the trigger is all the way out. I saw your post in main too. Make sure to read what the guys put there. Just one hint--from what I've read, putting oil in the two little holes in the valve doesn't do anything. Just a few drops in your ASA (unless you have macro/microline) is fine to oil up everything you need to have oiled up. Don't give up on mags just yet. At least try to get this one working and see how you like it then. Good luck.

drx975
04-20-2002, 06:29 PM
The trigger rod...it should be 1/16" from the trigger, when the trigger is completely forward, dont gas it up it doesnt really matter. I don't measure my trigger rod. I completely unscrewed it once, like almost all the way, and I got sputters on every 4 shot of rapid fire. The trigger pull was one millimeter (measured) with the safety as a stop. The guy mighta done this himself not knowing that it ruins the Mag's tolerances. So... check- when you point the barrel at the ground, with no gas, jiggle the rod and trigger around and look where the rod is. If there is NO gap, then you MUST screw it(the rod) back in. I check to see a little sliver of light shine through then thats good for me.

This is your problem. Definetly without a doubt. The on/off valve isnt fully opening/closing cause air flow problems, thus, immense shootdown (and sputter).

Lemme kno if this works, and what you did.

a_malfunction
04-21-2002, 01:08 PM
Sounds to me like you are short-stroking... You have to practice to get good with the mag's trigger. Shoot it slowly and think about pulling the trigger all the way back and letting it come all the way forward until you get the point where you can shoot it without thinking about it. Then, you'll be able to get on it with no problems. And make sure your reg seat is good!

magmonkey
04-22-2002, 01:58 PM
my guess is that the anti syphon tank you are using was not setup for your mag (in order for a anti syphon tank to work it must be set up specificly for the marker it is going on or it will esintialy do the opposite of what you want it to)

jmcj5
04-22-2002, 10:58 PM
I agree. The problem is not with your trigger! You keep sucking liquid Co2.

Take your tanks down to a Proshop and have them setup the anti-siphon to you mag. It'll probably cost you somewhere between $10-15. Once you get this worked out, you will be very happy.

You also may want to pick up a Palmer Stabilizer. This will help with problems with fluctuation due to warm weather.

Oh yeah! Welcome to the family!

BradPalooza
04-23-2002, 04:02 PM
If the problem is still there with Nitro, it isn't the anti-syphon bottles causing the problem. I'd try the trigger rod idea first, and don't forget - you can call AGD tech support and they can help you too.
-Brad