PDA

View Full Version : Layne Staley Found Dead in Apartment.

MagMan5446
04-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Alice in Chains died. Lost his battle with drugs.

Rest in Peace.

Jonno06
04-21-2002, 07:30 PM
yea,he was dead for a few days i heard.....he was cool

-Jôker-
04-21-2002, 07:30 PM
yea good band... heard that last night on mtv i hate seeing all these good artists od :(

MagMan5446
04-21-2002, 07:32 PM
http://www.aliceinchains.com for more info...

bond1313
04-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Someone said that he was in his apartment for almost a week thats got suck real bad, wonder wht the apartment smelled like.

MagMan5446
04-21-2002, 07:45 PM
The body wasn't easily identifiable and the police came because somebody wanted to check up on him...

Flamebo
04-21-2002, 08:04 PM
It's a damn shame... It almost seems like it's part of being the leader of a grunge band.

irbodden
04-22-2002, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Flamebo
It's a damn shame... It almost seems like it's part of being the leader of a grunge band.

Alice in Chains wasn't grunge..

Shaft
04-22-2002, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by irbodden

Alice in Chains wasn't grunge..

Whar? They were one of the defining bands of the genre.

TheTramp
04-22-2002, 10:19 AM
It's a shame but it was only a matter of time. It seems like hard drug abuse goes with the job. At least we still have his body of work.

obsolete898
04-22-2002, 10:26 AM
I liked them alot and was shocked to here about his death. I also think it sux, but damn why would you feel sorry for him. It's his own fault he died.

Hey look herion. That's something I need to try.

I mean how do you get into it that, are people blind.

Here's a simple equation to figure out why I should not do heroin.

heroin + me = junkie

Call me crazy but I don't really want to be a junkie. And if you don't relize you will become one your dumb and probally deserve what you get.

Load SM5
04-22-2002, 01:20 PM
Amen Obsolete...

I liked Alice and Chains and am sorry to see that happen but what did he think was going to be the outcome?

And no offense Magman, but saying that he lost his battle with drugs seems like saying someone who puts a bullet through their head just lost their battle with firearms. The outcome of both is never in question. You're dead because you're stupid. He was never in a battle, because he was'nt fighting. He was just killing himself.

God rest his idiotic soul and help his family.

tremis
04-22-2002, 02:37 PM
For years I hoped for an AIC reunion, that dreams done. Everybody knew this was going to happen. Chains has been waiting for him to straighten himself out and since there was no chains news it was obvious that he was still shooting up. A decade long heroin junkie is sort of a rare thing. People seem to get clean or die before that and with no new AIC stuff we knew he wasn't clean. I was sad when I heard, but not suprised. Oddly enough, it hasn't really stopped raining since I heard about it.

Tremis

obsolete898
04-22-2002, 03:40 PM
You're dead because you're stupid

The light of truth has shown.

Hemlock86
04-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Who cares......thats what happens when your a crackhead...

MagMan5446
04-22-2002, 05:51 PM
He did try to sober up.
He tried multiple times.

Why would somebody try it? Self medication most of the time. Easing the pain.

CRiZO
04-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Yea, sticking needles in myself makes me feel so good. *drool* oh baby

Quiet
04-22-2002, 06:17 PM
I think he's been dead for years, his body just caught up.

No more AIC :(

Failure
04-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by obsolete898

Hey look herion. That's something I need to try.

I mean how do you get into it that, are people blind.

I goes a little deeper than that frame of mind actually. Deep rooted issues, self hatred, hard times, times too good...it all stems from a multitude of problems as well as addictive personality traits and peer pressure. Trust me, its easier to get hooked on drugs than you think. Most people know the consequenses and actually weigh them before doing drugs. Until you actually do herion, you just can't compliment on it. There is a reason why people are addicted to it.... I've had quite a few friends strung out on dope and a few die. One actually in the recent past who really was a great kid. Would give you the shirt off of his back if you were naked. Its a shame really, the best ones in life are the first to go.

obsolete898
04-22-2002, 06:38 PM
Sorry about your friends. But honetly it's all the persons fault. Our society always wants to blame something or someone else. Here's a great new concept "BEING HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ONE'S OWN ACTIONS" Sorry man peer presure is bull. Peer presure is all in your own head. I have never heard someone say hey smoke this joint or your not cool.

Failure
04-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Obsolete you are correct about one taking responsabilty for ones actions. Although it isn't said that you aren't cool, most kids want to be liked and take it that way. Adults too, it isn't just a juvenile thing. People do foolish things to be accepted. I'm sorry about my friend too but the choice was his. I think society does want to shed responsabilty onto something or someone else too. I guess its easier that way.

Flamebo
04-23-2002, 05:15 AM
So... what exactly were they then?

Mossman
04-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Honestly, emotional struggles, internal pain or not. theres no reason why junkiness and rock star should go hand in hand. They bring it on themselves, just cuz they do what they "Love" and get paid boatloads of cash for it, doesnt mean they have a right to get your sympathy cuz they did hard drugs for 10 years. The average working americans life is hard. Lots of people are depressed. If all of those depressed people thought, lets do some heroin to ease my pain, that would be a crisis. Luckily, its not like that, only very underpriveliged people and musicians die of OD's all the time. The poor people I have sympathy for, but for the Rockers i have alot less.

MagMan5446
04-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by CRiZO
Yea, sticking needles in myself makes me feel so good. *drool* oh baby

That's exactly what they think.

This reminds me of a song.

God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes,
'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues...

obsolete898
04-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Layne Staley reminds me of a song too.

I'm a loser baby
So why don't you kill me?

Mossman
04-24-2002, 07:58 PM
lmao

MagMan5446
04-24-2002, 08:14 PM
He was a loser.

But the fact that he basically invented the genre of grunge makes him somewhat sad.

obsolete898
04-24-2002, 08:17 PM
He basically invented nothing.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam

More so Nirvana

MagMan5446
04-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Now look when Alice in Chains was around. Mid 80s. Before Nirvana and Pearl Jam

obsolete898
04-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Nirvana was the defining force of the grunge revolution. They started the whole deal.

tremis
04-25-2002, 06:52 AM
Facelift went gold before nevermind was even released. And listening to music today, its easy to hear much more AIC influence than nirvana. Nirvana definatly are mostly responsible for changing the direction of music that the consumers listened too, AIC influenced the direction of music that new musicians are writing. Except for creed who are so pearl jammish it aint funny.

Tremis

Shaft
04-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden AND Alice in Chains together defined the commercial market for the genre.