PDA

View Full Version : Family bonds

FooTemps
04-22-2002, 12:31 AM
I know that some of you may not be willing to talk about it but I am. I find it strange how family bonds work. At first, when I was a young child, I loved my parents, and respected my parents, etc. Then I hit adolesence and I start losing that bond. Now it's growing stronger again. I just find it rather strange how things always turn around in social life. One thing changed how I felt towards my parents. I went out to dinner with my parents and some family friends, which is fairly normal for me. They were talking about some things but I didn't really care. Then, over the car ride to drop off my parents' friends they started talking about relationships between their daughters, sons, nieces, nephews, etc. I listened to them fairly intently and I just kinda changed then and there, almost instantly.
I knew that my parents cared for me a lot but after I listened to them talk about my brother, his relationship, etc. and their friends talk about their sons, and their relationships, etc. everything was explained to me. My parents are traditional and I respect that but after tonight I realized that being untraditional and detatched is just plain immature.
Chinese parents are mainly traditional and want their kids to marry other chinese kids but I find it stupid that some people marry people of other ethnicity to anger their parents. A few of my cousins married caucasian people to piss off their parents. They stay disconnected from their parents and family, which is fairly disrespectful, because they married for that reason. On the other hand, I know one of my cousins married a caucasian becasue they loved each other. She always tries to fit in with us and become part of the family.
I know some of my friends say they hate their parents and stuff like that but I can't believe how stupid that stuff sounds now. My friends always say their misunderstood but now I know it's the other way around most of the time. I never experienced being an adopted child like one of my friends but he is just plain immature about his family as of this moment. He says he hates both his parents because they don't care about him, don't understand how he is, etc. but he also never even bothered to understand his parents.

I just kinda found it strange that something in my brain finally clicked... lol...

bond1313
04-22-2002, 05:37 AM
Foo I understand where you are coming from, I used to do the same thing to my parents. But now as you said I am begining to feel our famil bond again. It also makes me sick when people say they hate there parents then I go over there house they ask for money leave and on the way out say that they hate them. We are living in a very wierd world.

Tunaman
04-22-2002, 03:00 PM
Great writing Foo! Just a word to the wise....love them hard and for as long as you can, because I can assure you that you will cry long and hard when they are gone. I miss my parents more than words can ever say...:(

Croix71
04-23-2002, 12:01 AM
For me it was cyclical. When I was young I cared for my family a great deal and would spend a lot of time with them. When I was a teenager I cared more about me than anything else. I wanted to do my own thing and get away from everyone in my family. Now that I'm older and have a family of my own I understand why my parents and older sibling did the things that they did. I now find myself spending more time with them and enjoying it. :D