PDA

View Full Version : Tom: max current applied to a warp?

drboo
04-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Well, after a bad expierence this weekend with a warp, I'd like to do a little research. First the story of the weekend...

While playing in a tourny this last weekend, I was chopping paint like it was my job. I had never seen so much paint fire out of a powerfeed before. With the help of a teammate (Andy) watching me shoot, it appeared that the warp was not feeding the paint as fast as it should be (this is with max sens. and adjusted dwell) thus causing the ball to only fall half way in to the breach while cycling. Skirts then told me it was probably the battery, and to pick up a rental and get my rear end out on the field.

Having trouble believing that the fresh battery I bought that morning was the cause, I didn't know what to do. Luckly Andy found another post about cheap batteries being non-effective. So here is my question, and then my plans on what to do with the info....

Tom or possibly Jon:

What is the maximum amount of current at 9V that the warp board can take?

My goal:

Using a fixed power supply with variable current adjustment, I will map out the voltage across the warp motor (with and without load) based on various applied currents at 9V. Then upon creating a curve, test various brands of batteries to see which comes closest to fitting the peak of the curve.

Thanks,

Colin

Krazy Ivan
04-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Just a thought, use a better brand battery like a duracel heavy duty, don't cheap out or it won't work good. Stay away from rayovac like the plague

Pand0ra
04-22-2002, 12:57 PM
The current is defined by the load on the motor (mainly). There's no limitation at this level, except by the internal resistance of the motor and the components on the board.

What you're talking about right now is the max current the power supply will output before it starts to trigger some kind of protection which will decrease the output voltage.

What you should check is if the battery can provide enough current in a very small load, like a shortcut (for a short moment of course). The higher the value, the lower the internal resistance of the battery will be, the better the battery (at least for this kind of application).

From my experience with the warp and my Emag, a 9v battery (like a Duracell) is perfect 90% of the time (paintball very easy to break, bps up to 14). The rest of the time I use a 10,4v pack, which allows me to reach 20bps without problems (but is harder on the paintball, and sometimes cause a jam in the warp).

Maybe you should just try with another battery...

@++