PDA

View Full Version : Making a Bolt and sear out of titanium. Need help.

Jason Reed
04-22-2002, 01:59 PM
I have come across some titanium and wanted to know if making a bolt and sear would be a good idea. I know titanium is an awesome metal but could it stand up to the abuse, the bolt and sear go through. And if so I need dimension's from AGD to make the bolt and sear. Tom can you give me the dimension's to the sear and bolt or if i ship you the metal can you make them for me.

Kevmag
04-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Jason Reed
Tom can you give me the dimension's to the sear and bolt or if i ship you the metal can you make them for me.

I have a block of aluminum. Do you think Tom can make me an Extreme E-Mag body if I ship it to him? I'm also including a 5 gallon bucket of paint so he can make me some paintballs to go with it. Should I send flat or semi gloss?
:rolleyes:

Jason Reed
04-22-2002, 02:23 PM
i am serious. whats wrong with that statement. i would pay for it. it's not like i want him to do it out of the kindness of his heart. i was justing getting some input, if it would be a good idea to make a bolt and sear out of titanium. plus titanium is a very exspensive high grade metal and why wouldn't AGD want to experiment with a free peice of titanium. Anyway i really just want the dimesions so i can make it but i was offering.

LawFox32
04-22-2002, 02:41 PM
Well I believe that Tom has stated once before in a post about the superbolts to see if Titanium would work,and I believe that he said that it was not strong enough for the kind of abuse of moving back and forth at the rate which the bolt moves. but don't quote me on this do a search cuz I am not exactly sure,

I also would put money on the fact the Tom has already tried to make a bolt or other parts out of different metals.

Another thing is that you can go to a machine shop and give them the hunk of Ti and a stock bolt and get them to shape it, for a price.

I'm out

BlackVCG
04-22-2002, 03:34 PM
You'll be wasting your time. Titanium might be a cool "exotic" metal that has a lot of high-tech applications, but being used for the sear and bolt in a Mag is not one of them.

Read this for more info (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25340).