PDA

View Full Version : (Long) Story about after-market junk.

luke
04-23-2002, 07:19 AM
How in the world do companies stay in business when they produce junk, and on top of that, why do we consumers continue to buy the stuff? I have seen people around AO "plug" after market products that are not worthy of being bolted to an AGD marker. Why do people overlook the problems they cause? There may be solutions to the problems, but, why should we as consumers put up with it? Don't get me wrong here because I have done it for years myself.

This weekend I saw 2 perfect examples of "after market" problems on 2 different Mags, that is what prompted me to write this. What makes the situation bad is that these two guys have no experience with Mags except when they have borrowed one of mine.

To begin with, the guns were used and not running properly when they bought them. The first gun, a AutoMag, was purchased in a shop in Phoenix and while he was there he decided to get a double trigger Benchmark 45 frame because he doesn't like the feel of the stock frame, which is understandable.

So he sets up the gun and brings it to my house the morning we were going out to play, we fill his tank and try to fire the gun, besides the leaks (bad reg. seat and pt. O ring installed wrong) the over-stroke of the Benchmark frame will not allow the trigger sear to catch the Bolt.

I mention he should have bought the Intelli instead of the benchy and of course he says "I don't want to run Intelli", I go into my spill about after market parts and AGD products and explain how the Intelli frame does not have to be set up to operate. He decides he can still use the 45 frame, "he just wont pull the trigger all the way." Of course he chops like mad and the gun operates poorly. I set up a temporary stop by taping some nuts behind the trigger on the grip, this helps, but the gun still does not function properly. After a few more games I talk him into putting the stock frame back on and of course this fixes it. He finished the day with no problems and no chops. (surprise, surprise)

The second gun belongs to his brother, he bought an AutoMag from a kid who had stopped playing paintball about 3 years ago, the gun had not been fired since the kid quit, so the gun needed a minor overhaul.

Prior to this weekend I gave him a thumb adjuster that had been floating around in my gear bag for about 4 years, I never did try it, so I didn't know there was a problem with it. He installed the adjuster after I gave it to him, aired up the gun and it wouldn't fire. The gun ends up at my house a few hours before game time yesterday. The first thing I do is pull the thumb adjuster out and inspect it. I saw right away that the problem was with the thumb adjuster. The manufacturer had cut the threads literally 3/4 of an inch too long.

I ground the off the extra threads to expose some of the spring pack then reinstall it. With the TA screwed all the way in, it just starts to air up the gun, but still does not let enough in to pressurize the valve assembly. After closer inspection I find that they also had drilled the hole too deep into the adjuster so that the regulator sets too far back in A.I.R. chamber. I pressed a shim into the bottom of the TA to move the spring pack forward in its chamber.

The valve now operates properly but has an air leak. I replace the Reg. Seat, and it's good to go! I went ahead and checked the rest of the gun over to see if there is anything else wrong. I find there is no barrel nubbin. (first day with his Mag and chop, chop!)

The Mag worked great the rest of the day and he didn't experience any chopping problems.

Case and point, AGD gets the bad reputation as a result of poor after market parts, and we continue to purchase the junk that helps keep these after market companies in business. They give us a half-*** product and we tinker with it to make it work. It's one thing for someone with experience to install an after-market product, but when some unsuspecting Mag-newbie does it's a different story.

You would assume manufacturers would have enough responsibility to check their product's to see if they even work before they put it on the market.

Sorry about the rant, but this kinda stuff ticks me off.

JanStah
04-23-2002, 07:38 AM
I bet it doesnt tick you off half as much as it ticks Tom off!

His companies reputation is getting damaged through no fault of his own; I bet that stings...

Jan.

Load SM5
04-23-2002, 08:11 AM
There was a guy who was complaining about his mag over on PBNation (I think)a while back. He said it broke paint all over the place, leaked and never worked right. He said AGD was the worst company and their products were crap. When someone asked for his mag specs he listed off a whole pile of aftermarket non-AGD parts, such as the ANS bolt and valve. I don't think he even fired it stock, before he started buying all that crap. We tried to explain that AGD has nothing to do with all of those parts but he refused to admit he screwed up.

Fred
04-23-2002, 09:47 AM
I would have read your post, but un-interrupted paragraphs like that give me headaches...

i do agree with your subject though, why do people buy crap aftermarket stuff???

luke
04-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Fred,
Sorry about that. English was always my hardest class when I was in school, it just never clicked for me........

FatMan
04-23-2002, 01:49 PM
I certainly agree that bad AM parts are bad (uh, :confused: doh!)

Anyway, not all are bad. I built my Mag from parts with a Diamond Labs double-finger 45 style grip frame. Bolted it on and it worked and has kept on working ever since. I'm really surprised a Benchy is that bad. Maybe I just never knew how good a DL really was. Too bad but I don't think you can get them any more.

On the other hand I'd never screw with AM valve parts. Just get a ReTro Valve and leave the rest to AGD!

FatMan

barretc
04-23-2002, 03:51 PM
before i got my retro valve..... i had bought a ANS phase 2 reg thingy...and um.....it leaked the 1st time I used it and i threw it under my bed in the abyss of paintball stuff and left my mag stock from then till now. (run-on sentence)

spazzed
04-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Aye, when I bought my 'mag, it came w/ the ANS package (bolt, valve, drop-forward). It was all sh*t. Except the df, it's about to be retired tho. Anyways, my point is, stock over after-market any day of the week. ANything else is just a waste of hard-earned $$.

Croix71
04-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Interesting read Luke. :D

M-a-s-sDriver
04-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Let's see here: In '94 my first mag kept shooting down and freezing up. An 8-hole mod improved the shootdown, and a home-made on-off top helped the freezing up issue, along with some wierd green power tube o-ring that tended to not freeze. Some aftermarket parts that were also used were an expansion chamber, vertical ASA, and a hardchrome J&J barrel, because it would take a miricle to shove nelson or proball down that crown point. After several rebuilds, I hucked that gun because of inconsistancy and a broken power-tube. I then sold the only cocker I ever liked (which worked flawlessly)and bought an Ow Pawlack splashed out Signature gun. Since the first mag had a classic body, the minute you started to get it singing the blowback would reward you with a greasy breech. AGD "stock" at work. The Ow gun had a cutdown feed neck with a proteam powerfeed. Other than being able to sight down the top of the gun, that sucked too. If I remember right, that was a level 7 gun, but it had the 8-hole mod anyway, although it probably did'nt need it. It had a nice 45 single finger frame which was VASTLY easier to shoot than stock. We started taking out the power-tube spring and replacing them with the new AFTERMARKET power-tube spacers, so that we could shorten the trigger pull and get what felt like a cleaner release. A dark period then ensued where I shot cockers again. We won't talk about that.
I bought an RT and a Z-grip, and a flatline all at once. Tested at the factory. All Stock.
I fired three shots, and it started leaking, and dropping off BADLY. Sent it back to RT heaven, where the STOCK rail was replaced because of bad machining tolerances. Brand spanking new real RT valve rebuilt at factory, they say it it is the very image of perfection. 100 shots over the chrono later, it shoots down to bloopers. All AGD STOCK. Despite AGD tech advice to the contrary, I put 2 teflon o-rings on the reg tube and screw it back together, and it has worked flawlessly like that for over a year now, and is just recently giving me leaking problems again. Also, all of a sudden now, it has become increasingly difficult to not short stroke the gun. Stock RT. Stock Flatline. Stock barrel. Stock Z-grip.
I don't even want to comment on p-nubbins. I was buying v-nubbins from people for 6 bucks a pop. I tried EVERYTHING to keep these STOCK parts from being rammed down expensive barrels but to no avail. It rammed two at a time down the RT barrel.
I have three bone stock mags in my garage in varying degrees of autopsy trying to figure out why they wont work.
Usually, a reg seat or bolt spring does the trick. But sometimes after rebuilding an entire gun with all new stock parts, the only thing that will cure a leak is an old hurricane or Z on-off, or sometimes just switching one stock on-off to another gun will cure the problem. That sounds like a tolerance issue to me. Why will Z-valves work in some guns, but not others? Is it the On-off, or the gun itself?
And ask yourself this: Why does my fully aftermarket MiniMag work so well and so reliably, and so much better than any RT or mag I have ever shot, save the E-Mag?
I have had to buy 1 ANS bolt to replace my worn one, but I have 3 worn stock bolts from my RT. (worn meaning they still shoot, but they don't release well, and don't feel right).
My RT never broke paint, but my MAG really, REALLY is soft on de balls. I have no Reg seat to go bad, I have never replaced any o-ring on the Z on-off, and the power-tube o-ring that came with the Z-valve still looks new.
Anyway, here is my point: If you are a bonehead and can't figure out how things work, stock is for you. Buy some rebuild kits to keep the thing running. But if you think it out carefully, you can put together a very fast, more reliable, sweeter shooting mag than stock.
For now.
I Love AGD. I'm excited by the new stuff I am hearing about. I think they make really good, quality products. My next thing will be an Intelliframe. And a Warp. I did'nt like the warp "feel" on my Angel, But I think my hopper right mini-mag will fit the bill. I want a STOCK super-bolt, if I can get one that will stay intact more than a month. So I am not an AGD basher. Mr. Kaye has gotten plenty of money from me. But aftermarket stuff is fun, can improve the performance of your gun, and is completly reversable. All mass produced machines have issues of tolerance and Q.C.
Heck man, I used to go to Palmer's Pursuit years ago, and he would lovingly hand me a recently handmade piece of tested paintball perfection Typhoon to shoot, which would promply freeze up, chop balls, and just cause all kinds of embarassment. But those were still great guns, just something was forgotten or missed.

YAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNN. I'm tired of ranting now, and I must sleep. Maybe I will carry on tomorrow.
Good night young'uns.
Brent Jackson, PFB.

dansim
04-24-2002, 06:49 AM
well the problem with the benchy is easilly curable just adjust your trigger rod to shorten it and that should erase over pulling, i personally have never had a problem with benchys or no of any one that has but i guess everyone gets a screwy one now and then

luke
04-25-2002, 07:16 AM
Anyway, here is my point: If you are a bonehead and can't figure out how things work, stock is for you.

M-a-s-sDriver,

I agree with you to a certain extent. Sometimes I'm not sure what I like more, the tinkering or the game.

The point I wanted to make is that SOME of the after-market companies don't even test their products to see if they work. That's lame! If you buy stereo at Circuit City you expect it to work right? Say you pay $500 for a CD player and it does not work, are you going to take it apart and fix it or are you going to take it back to the store and purchase one that works?

well the problem with the benchy is easilly curable just adjust your trigger rod to shorten it and that should erase over pulling, i personally have never had a problem with benchys or no of any one that has but i guess everyone gets a screwy one now and then

dansim,

You obviously missed the point.

OK, just for arguments sake, did you receive a set of instructions with your Benchmark frame on how to make proper adjustments to the trigger rod? What about the over-stroke, did you get instructions on how to install a trigger stop? Is that the responsibility of the consumer to fix these things? NO!

Actually none of the above is a problem for me in terms of working around their screw ups, but what about those that do have a problem with it, or the guy that don't realize the problems he is experiencing has to do with after market parts? Companies have a responsibly to the consumer to make sure their products work before they hit the shelves.

I don't care how much I pay for something, whether it's $1 or $10,000, I expect it to work.

HoppysMag
04-25-2002, 12:39 PM
in every box that a mag comes in there should be a Big piece of brightly colored paper that warns people not to use after market parts ( with exceptions IE. some grips, sight rails, barrels ....ect)

dansim
04-25-2002, 12:46 PM
well no i never got instructions it was used all my mag stuff was used you know what i did? i learned how to use my stuff and by simply looking at a mag you should be able to understand it its gotta be one of the simplest markers out there

ps whats a trigger stop?

pip_999
04-25-2002, 12:57 PM
i agree that am stuff isnt that good
i had a aftermarket valve (turbo valve) and boy the probnlems its creating is kinda crazy, i mean yeah mags arent good on co2, but you would think that it should gas up and that after 5 shots (not in a short amount of time, but in an elapsed time) that it should not freeze the valve, but it did

i put a barnd new reg seat, took bout 4 shots alll of a sudden it freezes and ****s up my reg seat

aftermarket stuff is bad, AGD offers the best internal stff you can get for your mag, NO ONE ELSE hands down!!!!

i mean yeah go out and buy an aftermarket barrel (heck i will tell ya to do that) but dont go replacing internals, or at least get some advice from people if you do

luke
04-25-2002, 02:41 PM
dansim,

They do not come w/ instructions.
A trigger stop prevents over pull and prevents your on/off pin from bottoming out.

BTW, Rule #1, Do Not Touch The Trigger-Rod.

:D