PDA

View Full Version : Why are cockers prefered?/// Range

trevy38
04-23-2002, 08:25 PM
My friend told me he is buying a cocker (he was originally thinking about a mag) and I asked him what changed his mind. He then spewed a load of bull about cockers having more range. I asked him how they could possibly do that, he of course didn't know. When I argued that that is impossible, he then asked me why I see more cockers in tournaments than mags. I didn't know what to say so I told him it was a matter of preference. Am I completely off-base... do cockers actually shoot further or what? (I know they really don't, but I'm stumped). I want to tell him something...

Load SM5
04-23-2002, 08:33 PM
Nope the range myth is just that..a myth. A ball going 280fps out of one polished tube will go the same distance as another ball going out of another polished tube at 280. Any increased range is hype or an illusion. The reason you see more tourney players with cockers than mags is because WGP sponsores more teams than AGD, younger players want to look like their idols. And because cockers do look and sound pretty cool.

Xzion
04-23-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5
Nope the range myth is just that..a myth. A ball going 280fps out of one polished tube will go the same distance as another ball going out of another polished tube at 280. Any increased range is hype or an illusion. The reason you see more tourney players with cockers than mags is because WGP sponsores more teams than AGD, younger players want to look like their idols. And because cockers do look and sound pretty cool.

Id say you just about hit the nail on the head. Another couple reasons you see more cockers, is because everyone loves to upgrade, and with cockers, theres hundreds, if not thousands of upgrade paths, because just about EVERYONE makes SOMETHING for a cocker. With a 'mag, they come pretty much as good as they'll get out of the box, aside from ReTro Valves and aftermarket trigger frames, and a bunch of cosmetic stuff, thats all you can really do to them. When push comes to shove, its all really a matter of prefrence, if you want something you can pick up and play with, and have pretty good performance, go for a mag. If you like tinkering, upgrading till your blue in the face, a cocker is a good choice. in the end, cockers and mags are pretty much on an equal playing field.

Revalation999
04-23-2002, 10:04 PM
yeah your definatly right about looking and sounding cool to newbs exspeically, i mean last time i was at the feild, a 12year old had an evolution cocker and all the new guy/kids kept on bugging him to shot it it, cause was dead silent besides that annoying clack every cocker seems to have. i also believe it is first impression alot too, where as when i first played, i saw some guy with this mag and was realy cool and good, and ever seince than i've been intersested in buying a mag but never had the money to get one till now.

a_malfunction
04-23-2002, 10:13 PM
They are popular because not only do they get the job done, they are quite flashy!

liigod
04-23-2002, 10:16 PM
I LOVE cockers :cool:

Rocp15126
04-23-2002, 10:47 PM
Intresting comment about first impressions! When I started to play and was deciding what marker to get everybody in tournament and all the pros in my area where using mags! (Sacramento- Paintball Sam's)

Reason with him to try out both mag and cocker and then decide.

Psycow
04-24-2002, 01:57 AM
True, the first time I played most people with theire own markers were using VM-68/PMI-3's. Then theire was a bunch of guys with mags, running remote and I thought it was the coolest looking gun ever, why smaller and more compact than anything else out there. Didn't even see a cocker untill a couple of years later.

BTAutoMag
04-24-2002, 10:20 AM
greater range is a myth unless you can put backspin on a ball like the zbody or flatline

AGDmagman2001
04-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Well they have:

good looks
good performance
extremely upgradable
extremely customizable
tend to be consistent(thus more accurate)
look and sound cool
easy on paint better than others COUGH>mag<COUGH on really brittle paint(hardly, if ever used a sqeegee on my shocktech cocker since I got it, about 6-7 cases through it,)
sweet trigger
reliable
about the only con is that the are a little harder to maintain and if you can't shoot them(though hinge fixed part of that

And YES wgp does sponsor alot of teams, but there are a TON of custom cockers out there, each unique. How many custom mags are there? basically ProTeam and Shocktech.

I mean what's not to like about a cocker, I'm not going to try to debate about, but there is a reason besides "first impression newbs" and sponsorship that as many people use cockers as they do.

P.S. the above post is the opinion of AGDmagman's brother and not AGDmagman.

trevy38
04-24-2002, 11:30 AM
That sounds funny to me, because I read a post about reviews of shockers/cockers/and mags... and what I found was that cockers have over twice the velocity differential than mags... which would make them less consistent, therefore less accurate. Plus I like having a tool kit consisting of a penny (too cheap for a dime, lousy democrats). 'Tis the reason I own a mag, not a cocker. Of course, I may have read the post incorrectly-- please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTAutoMag
04-24-2002, 11:47 AM
theyre hypnotic too.

AGDmagman2001
04-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by trevy38
That sounds funny to me, because I read a post about reviews of shockers/cockers/and mags... and what I found was that cockers have over twice the velocity differential than mags... which would make them less consistent, therefore less accurate. Plus I like having a tool kit consisting of a penny (too cheap for a dime, lousy democrats). 'Tis the reason I own a mag, not a cocker. Of course, I may have read the post incorrectly-- please correct me if I'm wrong.

what do you mean by "twice the velocity differential"
and last time I checked a set of allen head wrenches wasn't really expensive. And of course you can't take apart a cocker as easily as a mag, but then again there usually isn't a need to. Don't get me wrong, mags are nice guns, I like them, but I'm alittle bias just like ya'll because I have a cocker:D

P.S. the above post is the opinion of AGDmagman's brother and not AGDmagman.

FeelTheRT
04-24-2002, 12:19 PM
the range thing is a myth however many top players still think that they do have longer range. Why i perfer a Cocker over any other marker is just the unique feel and sound of a cocker. Cockers are also very customizable so its as if each high end Cocker has its own individual personallity. Its mainly about being different and creative.

Why many people shoot Cocker is because like prevously stated, some think they have longer range. Also because people see many good players shooting Cockers so they like to kinda copy them. Then little Jimmy with a Spyder ugrades to a Cocker because he sees many rec players at his field owning them and so on.

trevy38
04-24-2002, 01:57 PM
I didn't mean that the parts kit was expensive... I was admiring the simplicity of the mag's design. The entire working part of the gun can be taken apart by hand... a feature that they neglected to include on the cocker. The differential means that they fired a cocker 10 times (maybe 20 I don't remeber--the thread is on here somewhere) and the velocity fluxuated twice as much as the velocity on a mag. Back to our subject...

I'm not trying to start a war here, I'm just saying that I can't understand how my friend can think a cocker shoots further than a mag or any other gun.