PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Smart Parts

Croix71
04-25-2002, 10:17 AM
I decided I want to try a new barrel so I do a search on AO. I came to the conclusion that a Smart Parts Freak with a 12" AA tip with a stainless steel back would be a good choice. To match my new upgraged Mag I needed to go with silver. Donggie tries to help me but he can't find anyone who has 12" AA silver front. I figure, I might as well call Smartparts and order directly from them since no one has one. Surprise! The only available 12" AA is in black. The guy at Smarparts tells me that no new colored 12" AA fronts have been produced yet and that it'll be several months until they do. :eek:

Since I already have the stainless steel back and a sleave but no tip I can,

1) wait for the 12" silver AA tip to be produced (Smartparts didn't give an ETA)

2) get a 12" silver Freak tip instead (not sure I want to do this, I've read these are harder to clean and have less porting)

3) use a 14" silver AA tip (this is just too long for needs)

4) get a used 12" silver AA tip (anyone have one they would like to sell or knows of a place that has one? :D)

Any suggestions? Oh btw, if your looking for a 12" colored AA tip I hope you had better luck finding one in stock than I did.

oneshot
04-25-2002, 11:02 AM
I was under the impression that aa fronts for the freak only came in 14"? and the other tips or tear drop tips for the freak have more porting than the aa's

Croix71
04-25-2002, 11:55 AM
They must be new then? If this is the case, then buying a used one is out of the question. :( On the Smartparts website they do have a 12" AA on the product list so they should be producing them.

As for the more porting issye, I read a post that said the AA had more porting. I can't disprove it since I don't have either of the two. If anyone can clarify this, please do so. :D

Spaceman613
04-25-2002, 11:57 AM
The tear drop (freak) front looks to have much more porting than the AA.... I prefer the AA front for my cockers, And the 14 inch fron tlooks to be around 13 inches...

I think it makes for a nice barrel system all round. We are ordering another 5 this week...

pito189
04-25-2002, 12:35 PM
You can only order 12'' AA fronts directly from Smart Parts.

Spaceman613
04-25-2002, 12:40 PM
thats what I figured... I may prder one to play with. I also want a freakishly long one. maybe 18inches? I may put that on my buzzard, at least with the freak, you can do goofy stuff like that. Only set ya back the price of a tip, and those are cheap...

magatron
04-25-2002, 12:57 PM
i'm nlot 100% sure if this wojuld work but... heres a sugguestion for you to try if the barrels are aluminum. try using the heavy duty oven cleaner. i believe it is the one with a yellow cap. just wash off the barrel really really well, and then soak the barrel in the cleaner, making sure not to get any on your skin becuse it will burn and may cause blisters, take it out and rub it with a dry cloth and see how much you can get off, and if it doenst off come off, let it sit there for longer, this is a process i've only done spyders, and they are aluminum, i belive that it the only material it would work on

Spaceman613
04-25-2002, 01:02 PM
or, chuck it in a drill and polish the anno off... We did this on a Pirana barrel,and its like a mirror now. and we only did the outside, so the guts are still nice and hard.

cphilip
04-25-2002, 01:10 PM
The porting question? I dunno if one has more than the other. It's more about where the porting is rather than how much. Although I have never bothered to count the holes in each to see. The AA Spiral ports all the way up the length of the whole barrel and the tear drop has all the porting in the tulip shaped thing in the end (the tear drop) and no porting further down the length.

pito189
04-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
The porting question? I dunno if one has more than the other. It's more about where the porting is rather than how much. Although I have never bothered to count the holes in each to see. The AA Spiral ports all the way up the length of the whole barrel and the tear drop has all the porting in the tulip shaped thing in the end (the tear drop) and no porting further down the length.

Unless you have a ten inch freak, then the tip is all porting. hehe:D

cphilip
04-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Yea I got one and that is just about right! :D

fearc7
04-25-2002, 01:57 PM
if you happn to ever chop a ball however the aa tips are much easier to clean since they are straight ports. follow tradition and get the aa.

Croix71
04-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Guess I'll be waiting until the 12" silver AA is produced. :(

Cliffio
04-25-2002, 02:40 PM
just get a 14 in silver

it comes out to be like 13 inches anyways

i highly reccomend the AA front, i love mine

CLiff

Shewer-Shrat
04-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Or you could sell the ss mag back to me!!!:D

-FTI-

Croix71
04-27-2002, 03:04 PM
LoL! :D

I may consider that as another option since it's sitting there by it's lonesome doing nothing ATM.