PDA

View Full Version : sanding the tip of the bolt?

gothicel
04-26-2002, 11:54 AM
I saw on here a thread that talked about improving pinch balls by sanding the nose of the bolt. I was hoping someone explain to me if I can do that with my bolt, attached below.

Thanks.

~Backdraft~
04-26-2002, 01:46 PM
Yep, as far as i know you can do it to any automag bolt. Just make sure your sanding the right edge to give it a nice "round" edge. DO NOT sand the edge where the sear catches.

Xzion
04-26-2002, 04:13 PM
I had a feeling it was primarily directed at the flat boltface bolts such as the superbolt, and Long Nose bolt.

Not sure youd need to do it on your bolt, seeing as its a 'classic' stock bolt and no longer made. The fact that the boltface extends past the bolt body, would seem to create enough of a curve to not warrent sanding. Thats just speculation of course. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

pumpamatic
04-26-2002, 08:55 PM
What does it cost to upgrade to a longnose bolt from the one pictured?

MikeCouves
04-26-2002, 08:58 PM
I think I am going to do a little sanding with a super high grit for a long time to make it baby *** smooth.

BlackVCG
04-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Your bolt does have a good round on the tip of the sleeve in comparison to the new stock foamieless bolts. ALL bolts require rounds on the tip of the sleeve. The tip still hits the next ball in line and that's one of the factors that increases ball breakage. Don't over-round it, just make it nice and smooth and it will go easy on paint.

Snooky
04-27-2002, 01:53 PM
originally posted by BlackVCG

All mag bolts NEED rounds on the end as shown in the pic