PDA

View Full Version : Tom Kaye's Research on Flow Paths

AGD
04-27-2002, 01:11 AM
Guys,

You are making sense in your arguments but are working with limited data. You will have to take my word on the stuff I will tell you because unless you came here and go through the testing I can't verify the results.

We first setup our gun dyno in the late 80's because the Sheridan Pump guns got way less efficiency than the Nelson based guns. Sheridans got about HALF the number of shots from a 12 gram. We cut a deal with PMI that they would pay us a big sum of money for every extra shot we got out of their guns. We were very motivated to make them more efficient.

We started into the project with the same thoughts you have here, that it's all about flow. Make the flow better you get better efficiency. This made sense because the Nelson had a straight though power tube and the Sheridan had all kinds of turns and chambers.

We spent month after month systematically working though the passages, making them bigger and smaller, smoothed all the curves etc. At each step we used the dyno to record the data. After all the flow path work, the data showed no significant difference in efficiency.

Confused we targeted the poppet valve itself. We had good knowledge of valve systems in car engines and theorized that a "3 angle valve job" that helped car performance would also help the poppet valve. We were convinced that the poppet had the highest air flow and thus would be most effected by flow improvement. After making many of the most perfect, miniature, 3 angle poppet valves you ever saw, we were still at the same efficiency.

Because it was the last thing, we now focused on the hammer itself and started changing weights and springs. Surprisingly we finally did see a change in efficiency. This did not jive with our theory on air flow. In one experiment we drilled a hole in the side of the gun (see, been doing it for years :) and used a pin to catch the hammer as it bounced off the poppet valve. To our amazement the efficiency skyrocketed and matched the Nelson guns.

We now sat down and examined the 6 months of work to see where we went wrong and try to understand what was really happening. We examined all of our pressure behind the ball curves and discovered that no matter how high the pressure peak was, the area UNDER the curve that represented the total energy, was nearly the same. We concluded that you had high variability in how hard you "hit" the ball as long as you didn't run out of barrel length to accelerate it. This is in direct conflict with the better flow theory.

We also looked at the pressure build up times. This is the time it takes to go from 0 to peak pressure. Again to our surprise, the time as about the same no matter how high the pressure peak was.

After all this we came to some conclusions which have remained true for a decade.
1. the efficiency problem in the Sheridan was caused by the bolt bouncing off the poppet valve and hitting it several more times before it came to rest. Each hit was AFTER the ball left the barrel and just released air needlessly. Lighter bolts reduced the problem. The data showed the bouncing bolt for the whole 6 months but we just ignored it as noise. Lesson learned, do not make assumptions based on what you think you know, look at ALL the data.

2. It takes X amount of energy to accelerate a paintball to 300 fps, no more no less. For years later we always laughed when everyone got excited about claims of a new gun with double the efficiency. Lesson learned, within a range it doesn't much matter if its lower or higher pressure you get the same efficiency.

3. Inertia plays a key role in the paintball acceleration. We feel that inertia holds the paintball in place while the pressure builds up behind it, thus giving a relatively stable build up time. The pressure build up is now causing the pressure to come toward equilibrium between the poppet valve and the back of the ball and this REDUCES flow rates. Because the entire chamber behind the ball is being pressurized, flow is not a critical factor WITHIN A RANGE. This is not to say if you made the flow paths 1/16th of an inch it wouldn't effect anything. I am saying that with reasonable size flow paths curving each 90 degree bend has very little effect.

My research conclusions are that most flow paths have little to do with efficiency. The point many of you are touching but not going into enough depth on is the reciprocation of the bolt system. Yes as you concluded reciprocation of the bolt takes energy, what you have not considered is that how FAST you move the bolt will determine HOW MUCH energy. The Mag with a superbolt has 18 FPS bolt speed, the Cocker has 4 FPS. See if you can get the Cockers bolt up to 18 FPS and see where your efficiency goes. Bob Long told me if he ups his ram pressure to 100 psi his efficiency goes to hell, wonder why... If you think about it, if flow did make a difference then the shortest path would have the most advantage. Between the Cocker and the Mag there is a whole lot of difference in what the air has to travel through.

Submitted for your enjoyment,

AGD

M-a-s-sDriver
04-27-2002, 01:24 AM
That is the most useful thing I have ever heard on this board. I always thought my PGP's sort of sputtered, and sure enough, I just went out in the garage and fired my old one off, and you can hear a short sputter. Well, well, well.
My phantom has always gotten about 38 slow shots out of one co2 caplet, and now I know why.
As an aside, Glenn gets an amazing shot count out of his Super-Stockers, and they are based on Sheridens. Any known reason why?
Brent Jackson, PFB.

Maui PFB
04-27-2002, 02:16 AM
I enjoyed the story brings back ol memories. Of course m-a-ssdriver is still older than me. I had one of the old pmi pumpers. Lucky for me and mass Palmer was just down the street for us to tinker on our goodies.

FreshmanBob
04-27-2002, 02:55 PM
I didn't think turbulance and flow paths had much to do with efficency.

In some post i was reading late last night(too tired to reply) Tom an some people were talking about this same thing, how flow paths and turbulance effected dump valve guns to make them inefficent and compared to poppet valves. Seemed like gas expansion had more to do with inefficency than turbulance (seeing how as the shocker and related guns gas expands more than most other guns).

another good way to prove Tom's point would be to make an automag with an air chamber have less turbulance from gas entering it, like two cones put together (or some aerodynamically correct shape). Because the chamber is where you have the most gas comming into, and is the largest area in the valve, it's probably where you'd get the most turbulance you could compare the two guns.

Vegeta
04-27-2002, 08:19 PM
I have been sittign here with pen and paper for a few minutes now and... Tom.. you hit the nail on the head. Figure... the air is gonna come out behind the ball anyways.. no matter the turns it takes.. they just don't do enough to damage efficiency. The air is trtaveling extremely fast anyways.

Much like the aftermarket bolts for the mag. ANS makes a venturi bolt right? Yet countless times peopel have stated that it does not help.... reason being the same amount of air is still gonna have to come out of hte botl and push the ball no matter what kinda bolt it is. IT will not have any effect on the ball unless it restricts the air flow to an extreme point (all the air has to come out of, say, one 1/16 inch hole... well duh thats gonna effect it)...

Tom im going to print all what you said just for future reference........... :)

pbjosh
04-28-2002, 02:23 PM
I agree, but we can't use that generalization to cover everything. Some gun components are more efficent than others. I sat down with my Minicocker a couple of years ago, and tried 10 different bolts. There was no difference in any part besides that. I had velocity variations over a 30 fps spread. I didn't use any different pressures, paints or anything. I ended up using the stock bolt. Because the venturi bolts caused restrictions that lowered my velocity ALOT. Same with the venturi bolts in a mag. A person would lose 10 fps switching to a venturi compared to the stock. That is real world relations stating that a constriced flow path amounts to higher air usage. Also that a restrictive flow path in general can cause loss of efficentcy.

Josh

FreshmanBob
04-28-2002, 08:17 PM
your talking about restricting flow paths, of course that effects efficency. The idea of restricting flow paths to lower velocity was one of the first velocity ajusters like on early pump guns in the late 80's

we're talking about the way the gas is going, like around bends an corners.

Doc Nickel
04-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Great stuff, TK.

I suffered the same "bounce" problem in one of my very first guns, an early Brass Eagle King Cobra. For those unfamiliar, the Cobra was it's own system, neither Sheridan nor Nelson. It had a somewhat Sheridan-esque hammer in back, and an inline type valve, similar to a scaled-down Model 98 or Stingray valve, in the middle, and a short hollow bolt, again somewhat like a Tippmann, at the front.

Air fed through the back ASA up to a top passage which went over the hammer, then down to the O-ring-sealed valve.

Anyway, the valve was an odd conglomeration- it had something like a short Nelson powertube with a pin on the back. A conical section in the center did the actual cup-sealing.

Long story short, the gun had a hammer that was easily half again heavier than a Sheridan's hammer. When fired, the gun gave a distinct sound- almost a "honk". This was due to the hammer bouncing... If you really stopped to listen, you'd hear the brr-rr-rrp of multiple bounces.

Needless to say, efficiency was atrocious, though I didn't know it at the time as I had nothing to compare it to. As I recall, I'd get maybe 300 to 350 shots from an old 9-ounce CAM tank (not quite two full boxes of Cal Mag, in other words) and I know I got fewer than 20 shots per 12-gram.

Worse, no matter what I did- and I tried a lot- the gun simply would never shoot faster than 220 to 250 fps. I tried heavier springs, heavier hammers, I ported the valve what little I could, etc.

20 shots, maybe, at 220 fps.

After a lot of experimenting, I knew that the bounce was costing me air... Hell, I could hear it bounce several times, I didn't need a computer readout to tell me that. :D

But I didn't have any easy way of solving that. I did figure a lighter hammer would have helped, but at the time I was still wrapped up in trying to increase the velocity. What I should have done is what's now a normal Palmer's trick; lighter hammer, longer hammer fall, and tune the springs so that the force compensates for the lost weight, but is short enough that the spring is essentially uncompressed when the hammer is forward.

As far as "flow" goes and bigger passages, I fully agree, bigger is not always better. I've seen this in two distinct cases: One was a stock-class Sniper-2 that I built. The stock circa-'99 WGP valve gave me something like 20 to 25 okay shots per 12-gram, and somewhat erratic velocities. I played with the springs and dropped in a circa-93/94 WGP valve that had significantly smaller passages, and immediately got 35+ good shots and notably better consistency.

The other one was a FreeFlow 'Cocker I was working on. As supplied to me, it had a Belsales Evolution 'Cocker venturi bolt, one that I'd understood to be among the most restrictive available.

Since the owner was shooting for LP/efficiency, I figured that bolt was probably a restriction. I whipped up a P-block-length bolt that had Lightning-bolt sized passages and gave it a try.

The gun lost almost 50 fps- lost- and dropped from getting about five shots after you turned off the air, to maybe two. Plunk the Evo back in and it's fine, up to speed again.

Again, bigger isn't always better.

Doc.

AGD
04-30-2002, 07:33 PM
Nice to have you back Doc,

The larger interior bolt space caused us problems too. You have to remember that you are pressurising the ENTIRE area behind the ball to 60 psi'sh befor the ball launches. If you hog out the area needlessly big you waist air filling it back up!

We also need to have a discussion on static vs dynamic pressure. Flowing air is dynamic and it does very little compared to static. Airfoil wings work primarily on static pressure. Figure that one out.

AGD

Vegeta
04-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Airfoils work on static, for the obvious reasons (I hope.. here it goes):
The airfoil moves the air.. it creates higher pressures on top of the wing making that air move faster over the wing than on bottom creating lift.

With Dynamic air, the motion in the air effects the airfoil and the pressures above and below the wing, creating turbulance and inconsistant pressures on either side of the wing.

How was that eh? It was a shot in the dark.

BlackVCG
04-30-2002, 09:26 PM
An airfoil is designed so that the air flowing around it creates a differential pressure. Because the distance from front to back of the top surface of an airfoil is longer than that of the lower surface, air must pass more quickly over the top surface than the lower surface. This creates an area of low pressure above the wing and causing a static pressure on the bottom of the wing which is a push up and keeps your plane from falling out of the sky. With higher velocities, the pressure decreases, so the airfoil is designed to have enough static pressure to keep the plane in flight at high speeds.

Vegeta
05-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Yea... suuure... thats what I just said.

fearc7
05-03-2002, 08:57 AM
thats interesting. it goes against what i thought but i see im wrong. havent thought about all that much so not a big deal. any ways gj tom for clearing that up.;)

P8ntballerAK
05-20-2002, 04:36 AM
Actually, you gotta think of it like a spinning circle, the outside of the circle is going faster than the center because it has to keep up. th wing shape uses a bend or foil on the top to make the distance traveled on the top of the wing greater then on the bottom of the wing. this creates acceleration of the air on top of the wing to keep the air speed equal when the top and bottom and meet again. this creates like an effect similiar to watter on a roof. so the air on top of the wing is constantly "Slipping" off the wing which creats a low preassure on top pf the wing, the pressure on the bottom of the wing actually stays the same, its just higher than the top.
(if none of this made snce delete it. its 2 AM hehe)

Will Newnham

xatle
06-03-2002, 02:44 AM
when air flows over a wing it leaves a "skin" of air in contact with the wing that is static relative to the wing, ie not moving.

the convex top of the wing promotes slippage of this skin causing it to thin out over that surface.
the flat or concave underside of the wing deters slippage so retains a thicker skin of static air.

whenever fast moving air meets slow moving air you get compression, dynamic air flow meets static air, static air compresses, the volume of compressed air under the wing is greater than that above the wing, wing goes up.
if at any point the static skin around the wing is torn off and the wing is surrounded by dynamic air flow, the wing will stall and plummet until the static skin reforms and there is once again air beneath the wing that is above the ambient air pressure.

i think thats the best i can do without diagrams, rip it up folks ;)