PDA

View Full Version : First shot is a killer....

MagNumPI
04-27-2002, 10:17 PM
Hey i'm baffled , the refs were baffled, everyone I talked to was baffled..

Me and one of my teamates shoot mags, every time we take the first shot the velocity reaches 400 to 450. I am running the stock Reg . My buddy is running an ANS reg. First shot is 400 or so, second and following are normal 275. Once the trigger is released and pulled again the first shot is 400 , then after that it's 275,278....

MagNumPI
04-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Hit tab enter...

Can any of the AGD tech staff tell me what the hell is going on.. i almost got my gun pulled from a tourney last week.

Thanx Guys.

Potatoboy
04-27-2002, 10:20 PM
it sounds like the reg is creeping, try replacing the reg seat

MagNumPI
04-27-2002, 10:31 PM
It's a new seat

ramsee1
04-27-2002, 10:53 PM
funny you should say that. I had the same thing happen. My guess was the chrono was reading the air, not the ball. I say that because visually you can tell the difference between 275 and 400.

Smokee_2_7
04-27-2002, 11:10 PM
big characteristic of a bad reg. seat. Replace it and every thing should be fine.

drx975
04-28-2002, 08:54 AM
No, its the chrono. It sucks. Watch your shots....are they 400? Or does it seem more like 280? you can def tell the difference.

MagNumPI
04-28-2002, 09:28 AM
Well yeah they are way above 300 fps.. they have the characteristics of a hot shot , turbulent ball, lots of kick back, almost goes through the target (no joke there were on the otherside convex dents) It's a new reg seat i just replaced it to see if the problem went away, it didn't. There has to be an AGD tech on this site that know or can spend a bit of time figuring it out.

Thanks for your continuing help.

drx975
04-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Ok I think I got it now. Sorry I didnt think of this earlier but anyway.......

The problem most likely is in your on/off valve. Carefully take your on/off valve out, and turn the on/off TOP (should be the little brass thing) over. Just flip it over and put it back in (be careful, dont drop it on the floor). Put the gun back together and try again. It's highly likely that this could happen becuase it is so easy to flip the brass top over when you clean your gun.

The result I had when this happened to me was a velocity of 400, 50, 280, 280, then 400 to start it all over again. Let me know if this works or not, and what happens.

And also, remember that the problem isnt always an oring, and if you think your orings (and reg seat) are OK then they probably are.

FrAuStY
04-29-2002, 10:10 AM
I had read on here somewhere that the new on/off tops are reversible (they can go in either way) I also read on here where people have changed the reg seat 2-3 times before curing a problem. Check the thread about reg seat good vs bad (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7291) see if this helps. Normally first shot hot is due to the reg seat not making a good seal until after there is constant pressure. Was the REG seat you used in replacing, an AGD part? if not.. get an AGD one.. others a slack in production (sometimes hole itsn't punch dead center of seat. Otherwise try to ole on/off top. :rolleyes: