PDA

View Full Version : Polished Body

vlhockey22
04-28-2002, 07:06 PM
I just got a new chrom Intelliframe and I want to try and get most of my gun chrome(polished)so would it be cheaper for me to buy a whole new polished body? or cheaper to send it off somwhere to get polished? And if i send it somwhere where would be th best and cheapest place?
Thanks in advance

Croix71
04-28-2002, 10:04 PM
For the SS main body you could,

1) polish it yourself - hand polishing could take a while but if you have some equipment it'll save you a lot of time

2) professional polishing - do a search via yahoo and see if anyone in your area is willing to polish your main body to a mirror shine. Could cost $30-45.

3) buy a new polished body - try an online store such as www.modifiedpaintball.com or order directly from AGD. Depending on the body this could cost anywhere from $110-$125.

As for the other pieces that you may have - body rail, site rail, fore-grips, etc. Since they're made of aluminum you won't be able to polish these to a mirror finish. To get a mirror finish you'll have to either chrome plate them or nickel plate them to match your intelliframe. Be warned that the chrome plate and nickel plate will look similar but not exactly the same.

Hope this helps. :D

a_malfunction
04-28-2002, 10:11 PM
You might be able to trade your body and some cash with someone who has a polished one. Check the classifieds.

Croix71
04-28-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by a_malfunction
You might be able to trade your body and some cash with someone who has a polished one. Check the classifieds.

Dang forgot to put option 4) trading. :D

Xzion
04-29-2002, 04:21 AM
If you didnt want it polished, and look nicer, you could always go to a custom car/bike shop and have the mainbody custom chromed or something. Though, that might effect the tolerences between the body and the rail. Im unsure just how much plating is added to the metal in that process.

Creative Mayhem
04-29-2002, 08:19 AM
I took mine to a local custom bike shop to have chromed. I wanted a highly reflective look and I didn't think polishing was reflective enough for my taste. Besides I'm LAZY to the extreme!:D My main body cost $20 CDN and it looks fantastic, and extremely durable. Chroming is a 3 stage process the body is plated with copper, nickel, chrome. This will add thickness, but as far as I've seen there has been no tolerance issues in the last 8 yrs. Now If you are planning to chrome everything, body, rail, trigger frame, you may have a tolerance issue between the body and rail, but my friend who had all of his parts chromed had no problems at all. Ask your local custom shop about the thickness. I hope this helps you out.

Croix71
04-29-2002, 08:43 AM
To ensure the whole gun to match, I'd get the whole thing chromed. You'll have to take your intelliframe apart as well as all the other pieces of your Mag. Shop around get some quotes because chrome plating your pieces can get expensive.

Ask a lot of questions. The SS main body will require the 3 step process (higher cost) that Creative Mayhem mentioned. Ask the person doing the chrome plating if he's done paintball pieces before and if not make him aware of the tolerence issues. The rest of the Mag pieces may not need to do the 3 step (this should lower the cost) because the materials should be made of aluminum. One more item you should discuss is will the chroming process damage the aluminum. One place I went to warned that his specific chroming process (specifically the solutions he was using) may cause my aluminum pieces to pit. It was all dependent on the type of aluminum. The last question I would ask is about stripping and polishing. Will they do it or will you have to take it somewhere else.

Hope this helps. :D

soilent green
04-29-2002, 08:57 AM
polish the body yourself by wetsanding and a dremel with polishing wheel

soilent green
04-29-2002, 09:12 AM
look what I found for you http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1823826915

I just looked at it it ain't powerfeed