PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do?

sliknik
04-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey guys I haven't posted in a while, b/c I can usually find anything I need by doing a search. But today I have problem and I need some advice.

I have been shooting a mag for a couple of months, and I have come to the conclusion that it is very finicky on paint. I played today using Big Ball and it shot fine, I switched to pro-ball and broke ball after ball. My friends seem to break 1 outa 3 balls no matter what. I am not short stroking b/c the paint is predominantly in the barrel. My friends no longer are short stroking but they still break. Don't get me wrong I can shoot about 100-200 balls with no break, but I want better odds b/c after one break if the barrel isn't super clean I shoot some nasty sinkers and sliders.

I am shooting a pf left 68, with dye ultralight, v-nubbins, stock foamiless long bolt, and a 12v rvy. Should I switch to plastic nubbins and a foamy bolt. Will I see a major difference because I can't afford to experiment any. I really want to keep my mag but I would rather be playing than cleaning.

Thanx Guys,
Slik

Autotrigger
04-28-2002, 08:52 PM
I noticed a big difference with a foamie bolt! Some of the guys I play with have no problems with the stock bolts, but I was breaking a lot of paint with mine. I switched over to an ANS foamie and it has been much better! I have put about 500 rounds through it without a break! I have yet to try the plastic nubbins! Good luck.

sliknik
04-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Guys I just did a bounce test on the pro ball I used today and it got a .5, here are my results:
This paint was only a week old. Oh well at least now I have some explanation of what went wrong.

I'm still interested in hearing more people's experiences with the plastic nubbins and foamy bolt.

Thanx,
Slik

krafty
04-29-2002, 12:39 PM
I had horrible problems with breakage when I used p-nubbins. I switched to the new plastic ones and have fired over a full case without a break (that wasn't my fault - like forgetting to turn on the revvy).

FrAuStY
04-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Krafty I feel you so much on that one (Revvy turned off chompin away on the triggy) but anyway.. I have an ANS foamie bolt - WITH NO FOAMIE! And I hardly ever break paint.. unless I get carried away and... see first line! I really should put a foamie on.. it just when I first got it.. the foamie flew off.. and I never wanted to put superglue on it. Who knows maybe I'll try. :)

Steve Crush
04-29-2002, 06:56 PM
ok first thing i only shoot proball through my emag. When i had my RT i only used proball and sometimes powerball. never had a problem with breaking balls. I had a ans bolt with foamie in the RT, and the stock bolt in the Emag.
question what does 0,2,0,0,0,2,6,0,0,0 mean when he was talking about the bounce test?

steve

hitech
04-29-2002, 07:19 PM
First I would get the plastic nubbins. If nothing else they don't need to be adjusted. I think they are easier on paint. Next read the following, very informative:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32839

blackmag3
04-29-2002, 07:43 PM
how did you get 0's in your bounce test? 0 would indicate the paint broke before you dropped. if it broke on the first bounce that would be a 1 not a 0. i hope your paint wasnt breaking without dropping it.

sliknik
04-29-2002, 07:53 PM
Actually I was giving it a zero because it didn't bounce, it hit the ground and broke. I figured that I shouldn't count it as a bounce if it didn't actually bounce. Perhaps I'm wrong?

-Slik

blackmag3
04-29-2002, 08:01 PM
good point. i think you are right about that. i was counting by how many times i dropped the ball. so to me if it breaks on the 1st drop i give it a 1. i'm not sure which way is right but i doubt it really matters with the end results.

rjvemt1
04-29-2002, 08:13 PM
who is selling you this paint? do you go fishing, remember those red salmon eggs? if your paint smells like that, its old no matter what your dealer is telling you. smell in the bag, not in your hand. try all-star, its not cheap but if you breakin all the time half a cent a ball doesnt matter!

rjvemt1
04-29-2002, 08:25 PM
search toms tech tips he says your paint is to brittle you need to set an open bag on your kitchen table and set a glass of water in the middle (still in the glass!) over night.

[M@g_D@ddy]
04-30-2002, 08:25 AM
hey, i have a plastic nubin, and i didn't notice a difference. but it was too short and it would catch when i would slide it in. so i went back to the good ol' steel ones and it works great now. i don't know if i just got a bad nubbin or what, it doesn't break paint, but it's a pain to put in.:mad:

Psychedelic
04-30-2002, 09:01 AM
I have noticed a huge difference in ball breakage using a fomaie bolt. I don't have a regular bolt but I have used them and I break much more paint using them than my foamie.