PDA

View Full Version : Closed "boltedness" still a myth?

Cypres0099
04-29-2002, 09:13 PM
I don't remember if closed bolt guns are "supposed" to be easier on paint but could the myth actually be true?

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32839

Based on the info Tom is hinting at when he talks about sanding the bolt tip, could closed bolt guns actually be easier on paint?:confused: Because the bolt is not moving forward and nicking the paint waiting to be fed, no fractures are forming. Is that how the timing on cockers and shockers work? They time the bolt speed so it gets back under the ball stack before one can be fractured?

Even if that isn't true about the timing part, tell me what you think about this. As of now I am under the impression that closed bolt isn't necissarily better but I would like to hear what you have to say.

xmetal2001
04-29-2002, 09:18 PM
They might be easier on paint for that reason, but i know that the major argument is that closed-bolt is more accurate which is definatly not true.

Cypres0099
04-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Yes, I am sure that I don't believe the accuracy or range thing. I just couldn't remember if closed bolts were supposed to be easier on paint.

TheTramp
04-29-2002, 09:23 PM
The leading edge of the bolt still has to pass the ball stack so knicking the next ball can still be a problem. I would think that the sanding idea could be helpful with any bolt.