PDA

View Full Version : powder coat?

nuggy43
05-03-2002, 10:24 PM
Can you powder coat a mag i think people been saying that u could but not sure?

Croix71
05-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Yes you can. :D

nuggy43
05-03-2002, 10:29 PM
thanx thats all i needded

Xzion
05-04-2002, 12:01 AM
If you have your 'mag powdercoated, make sure they don't powdercoat between the mainbody and body rail, and between the grip frame, and body rail. The layer of paint between the parts can throw of tolerences, and potentially cause problems with your 'mag.

Croix71
05-04-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Xzion
If you have your 'mag powdercoated, make sure they don't powdercoat between the mainbody and body rail, and between the grip frame, and body rail. The layer of paint between the parts can throw of tolerences, and potentially cause problems with your 'mag.

Xzion is correct. This is just a precaution so that your can be put back together correctly. Although some people have commented that they had these areas powder coated and their Mags still fit together perfectly. Discuss it with the person doing the powdercoating and see what they suggest. :D

Xzion
05-04-2002, 07:46 AM
Fitting the parts back together isn't the only thing to worry about. The gun is tuned to work with the parts at a certian distance apart from eachother, if you add a layer or two of paint per surface, you increase the distance between the two parts, therefore potentially throwing out your mags tolerences, and potentially leading to other bad things like prematurely worn bolts and sears.

If done correctlly, you can have the mainbody, rails and grip frames taped off so theres no paint between the parts, but whentheyre assembled, you couldnt tell the difference.

If you look at my other thread in the 'Paintball Talk' forum regarding the 'rainbow' powdercoat Redrider did for me, those have been taped off so the tolerences are the same as before they were powdercoated, I personally can't tell they've been taped off.

Redrider does awsome powdercoat work, and also always tapes off the proper areas when he does his powdercoats. one can contact him at redrider87@aol.com