PDA

View Full Version : I'm Baaaack!

Army
05-03-2002, 11:09 PM
Hi guys! I'm home now, ready to again take on all you evil-doers, cuss filter get-arounders, and rotten post whores!

Field work wasn't anything special this time, the Tank battalion was in manuever mode, so didn't fire any main gun rounds. I did get to watch the Navy Sea-Bees light off over 14 tons of old munitions though. They set it all out in a long daisy chain and it took about 30 seconds for it all to go up...way cool boom..HOOAH:)

I scored about 20 .50 cal bullets that popped out of their cases from the blast pressure. They are all clean, undented, and ready to be re-loaded into MY cases!!

Only one scary moment. We were on the far side of the impact area, out of range of NORMAL projectile flight paths, when we all clearly heard the "whop" of a large caliber shell impacting the ground nearby. We carefully sauntered over to where we though it landed, and found a live 25mm shell from a Bradley that did not detonate on impact. The scary part, was that it was less than 4" from the drivers door of our HUMMV. A slight tail-wind could have caused it to fall into the truck, blowing the heck out of it, or the E-4 that was driving. whew!

Other than that, I was bored to tears! I played "Zelda-Links Awakening" four complete times on the Game-boy, including using the shovel to dig up every inch of the island! I also played "Duke Nuke'm" ad naseum. We went to the area where they filmed "We Were Soldiers" again, just to see what it looked like afterwards. All the plants they put in are still growing strong, and the grass they watered for 2 months is huge! I found a few expended blank rounds, and some fake bloody bandages. My bud scored a VC coolie hat that was hung on a bush and forgotten by the prop people.

So little happened, that I did not take one pic of anything. That was a first for me!

Anyhooo, glad to be home, and glad to talk to all of you again! Dave:cool:

SlipknotX556
05-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Welcome Back Army!

Lone Gunman
05-03-2002, 11:29 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say that I missed you Army, for various reasons (see quote).

Wayland Fong
05-04-2002, 12:44 AM
Hooah!

man, i never get to do anything cool when my Reserve unit goes out to the field. which, i might add, is almost never. we're an ammo company, which is supposed to be largely field work, but whatever. heck, i thought it was the coolest thing when i got to carry the SAW. i didn't even get to shoot it, but i still thought it was cool. and you're here talking about shooting off tank rounds and almost being hit by a Bradley round!? wow, i think i'm gonna apply to transfer to your unit! need an ammo dog?

Snooky
05-04-2002, 01:56 AM
yeah i love that shovel too army. whats the best is stealing the bow from the shop so u dont have to pay all those ruppies.

oh yea welcome back.

Trunnion
05-04-2002, 02:46 AM
army, what kind of unit are you with?

Snooky
05-04-2002, 05:06 AM
hes on special ops. hes the one with the knife and the bazooka and thats it. oh and a bad attitude.

He's like the ao rambo.

Croix71
05-04-2002, 06:02 AM
Welcome back! I did notice that you and Miscue seemed to be on haitus from the boards a bit.

shartley
05-04-2002, 06:32 AM
Welcome back.. I am sure you are glad to be home again. :)

Jonno06
05-04-2002, 09:30 AM
welcome back ARMY....and next time you better take pics........

AllAmericanMag
05-04-2002, 09:50 AM
This makes me wanna join up :D Welcome Back Army!

Puddleglum
05-04-2002, 12:45 PM
I love watching all these people suck up. Sluuuuuuuuurrrrrrpppppppp. Anyway........I will too. That sounded pretty cool about the stuff blowing up. Can you explain that a little better?

Army
05-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Puddles, munitions have a finite life, chemical breakdown can make some powders and explosives very unstable. When they are deemed to be too old they must be destroyed.

The Sea-Bees are naval Combat Engineers(CB's= engineer Combat Battalion). They not only go in first to build those roads and runways to further the attack, they also destroy infrastructure to hinder enemy movement. Sometimes they get to destroy those things they built themselves!

What they blew was mostly military dynamite and cratering charges. But the ASP had more than a few pallets of old machine gun ammo and Tank main gun rounds (105mm). Usually that stuff gets sent to the Sierra Army Depot in Cal/Nevada for destruction. But since the Navy was there, and the big pit was there.......

oldsoldier
05-04-2002, 01:54 PM
Army, whats your MOS? Me, I'm 11b...which translates to whatever the damn army needs me to do....;)

Wayland Fong
05-04-2002, 01:56 PM
11B, Hooah! i'm a 55B, i haul your ammo. but i'm trying to change my MOS to 11B. you guys rock!

oldsoldier
05-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Lol....I tell you wwhat, its not like the movies! But, when I first joined, thats all I really wanted to do. I love it when I am actually doing the job (right now, since we have been actiuvated, we are doing MP duties.). I dont regret any of it though...just wish i couldve gotten more schools when I was younger. My body doesnt hold up to the punishment like it used to! :)

Army
05-04-2002, 03:45 PM
45K and 45B. I've been cross-trained on generators too, since we use them so heavily in the field.

I no longer do my MOS proper, I am contracted with the DOD to perform maintenance studies on all manner of heavy weapons systems, reporting directly to the Pentagon. I'm now in the NG, but still work for the Federal side. Job still says to wear the green, but not too often anymore!

obsolete898
05-04-2002, 03:58 PM
<--- That's mine. Actually it's called an AFSC for us.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/afjobs/bl2w2x1.htm

That's me.

Jonno06
05-04-2002, 04:10 PM
hm..../me has no idea what you guys are talking about:confused:

Army
05-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Geez Obs, you can have that job! All I ever have to worry about,is catching a stray frag, or running out of ice in the cooler!

obsolete898
05-04-2002, 04:25 PM
I'd actually rather work on the big'ns. Mine have no chance of going off, convetional munitions definately can accidently go off. We get a quarterly mag for all munitions jobs, conventional and nuclear, and some of the accidents the conv. guys have are just to close for my comfort.

Army
05-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Not me, that "glow in the dark" stuff just gives me the willy's. I know it is fully contained and near impossible to breach, but ya never know!

My bro-in-law works at the local nuke power plant, one of the few deliberate built to handle an aircraft impact, and HE even hates going into the containment vessel area.

Gimme a dud grenade any day!