PDA

View Full Version : Deleting ICQ history.

MikeCouves
05-04-2002, 03:15 PM
My friend's parents read all his ICQ history and he got in alot of trouble. There's a couple things I would't want mommy and daddy to see on mine too. How do I delete ALL of it? Everything, every message to a person or from a person.

InfinatyBPS
05-04-2002, 04:04 PM
my dad checked my icq history before and my netscape history and the day before, I was looking for a game I wanted to dl and went to a warez site and got some pop ups and I got in trouble. And I felt like my privacy was violated when he read my icq history... good thing there is no MSN messenger history to delete cause I talked to my GF about things that I would rather not have my dad read... What kinda things did your friend say that was so bad that he got in trouble...?

ProjectMag
05-04-2002, 04:09 PM
You have to click on each person and go to Message History. Hit 'Delete All' and that sends all the messages to the Deleted Items folder. Open that up and hit 'Delete All' to remove the messages.

MikeCouves
05-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Girl things, and about one of our friends is into the wrong stuff, you know what I mean. And we were talking about it, and I wouldn't want to get him in trouble. You can delete single messages, but to delete everything like that would take forever.

MikeCouves
05-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ProjectMag
You have to click on each person and go to Message History. Hit 'Delete All' and that sends all the messages to the Deleted Items folder. Open that up and hit 'Delete All' to remove the messages.

K I am going to have to find all the messages I don't want my rents to see.

-Jôker-
05-04-2002, 04:27 PM
they read your online convos.? thats not right!! thats like them listening to you on the phone! :mad:

PigSweat
05-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by -Jôker-
they read your online convos.? thats not right!! thats like them listening to you on the phone! :mad:

Get used to it. If you're living in their house they can do almost anything they want.

MikeCouves
05-05-2002, 04:05 PM
As far as I know my parents don't read mine, but my friends parents read him and got him in alot of trouble. I wish there was a way you could just delete it all with the click of a button like every couple days.

tranman
05-05-2002, 07:46 PM
Theres a much much easier way to do it, go into your icq folder and open the database converter, then you can choose how much of your history you want left, you'd probably want no history...then "fix" it...and you'll have you contact list with no histories.

MikeCouves
05-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Hmm that sounds like a good one. I will try that.

-Jôker-
05-05-2002, 09:45 PM
[OTE]Originally posted by PigSweat

Get used to it. If you're living in their house they can do almost anything they want. [/QUOTE]

but theres somthing called privacy..... i dont know if yall have that in canada.... theres a line that a draw for mt parents thay break that line... i get pissed.... i have earned my parents trust but they still dont trust me,.... they havent ever earned my trust because what they do to me... and no im not abused physically... but i am abused verbaly

MikeCouves
05-06-2002, 07:33 AM
No, I disagree. I believe that I have rights. My parents may have legal crap, but if they are going to listen to me on the phone and look at my ICQ history, I am not going to co-operate with them at all. If they send me away, meh, they will be more sad then I will. They can't win ;).

Another thing, does this happen to anyone else? My mom always gets pissed when I don't clean up the house, saying that it's my house too. But then when I want to do something with the house, or my parents get angry saying that it's their house, they pay the bills, etc.? It doesn't make sense, one minute it's your house too, another minute it's not. God, it's givin me a headache.

shartley
05-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Okay.. I will try to explain…

Another thing, does this happen to anyone else? My mom always gets pissed when I don't clean up the house, saying that it's my house too. But then when I want to do something with the house, or my parents get angry saying that it's their house, they pay the bills, etc.? It doesn't make sense, one minute it's your house too, another minute it's not. God, it's givin me a headache.
Yes, it IS your house, as in where you live. Try renting an apartment and doing anything you want. You will see that even then, when YOU pay the bills, you are still limited.

As for cleaning the house.. you bet! I never get “pissed” because the kids don’t help clean the house…. That is because they DO help. There is no question as to who is running the show, who has to do what, etc. There are no power struggles, no misconceptions, etc. And you know what? The kids are STILL happy. They can do almost anything they want… they just have to show some responsibility.

And unfortunately some people don’t understand that a home is NOT a hotel for kids. Feed me, cloth me, protect me, wash my clothes,…. but let me do anything I want with no need for personal participation in the maintenance of the domicile or care of the premises. This is just not good enough, and teaches kids nothing.

When I was growing up (yes I know kids hate those words.. LOL) my Father did not understand “recreational responsibility”, and EVERYTHING was centered around what new “responsibilities” us kids would get… but it was always about working. We had little to no money, and our lives were directly affected by that.. and my Father’s strong work ethic (he had to quit school at 15 and support the family because his Father died). His favorite saying was “You don’t work, you don’t eat.” I am glad I worked…. LOL

Being that I grew up in that type of home, I refuse to ignore the “recreational responsibility” issue. But I also will not ignore the “work responsibility” issue either… and far too many parents do. When my children leave home I know full well that they will be prepared… and in the meantime I know I don’t live in a dump. LOL And you know what? The kids are not flocking to leave either… Jenn is 19 and openly states that she has no plans of leaving for quite some time. And I don’t have a problem with that…. She pulls her weight and is an important part of our household. She understands that this is “her” house too, but it is not “her” house. It is an issue of same words, multiple meanings.

I hope that helps some. You can trust that when you have your own house and children, it will become totally clear. ;)

MikeCouves
05-06-2002, 08:30 AM
As always, shartley has a point, a long one at that, but a point. But what I was really trying to say is that, I think it is better to give little guidance to making the right choices (to an extent), instead of forcing every which way. I would rather choose my path in life than have someone do it for me. Let myself make the right choices.