PDA

View Full Version : Should valve assembly not be taken apart?

ScoobYSnax
05-05-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm a little confused on this issue. I've heard people say they regularly (every month-few months) take apart their valves and make sure all the o-rings and everything are in good condition. Then I hear others say you should ONLY take the thing apart if it is not working. So which is it? Why do people say it should not be taken apart? How often do things inside need to be replaced? i.e. the reg seat? Let me know guys, I don't want to damage my valve.

NOTE: this is for both AIR and ReTro valve. Any difference in maintenance between the two?

Army
05-05-2002, 12:47 PM
I take mine apart after every few cases, wipe it clean, and re-oil it.

I don't shoot a ton at a time, so a few cases can be quite a while for me!

But, no. There is no reason to pull it apart after every use. Just keep it oiled at all times. (couple drops into the ASA before a day of play):cool:

Yama
05-05-2002, 01:58 PM
i never take apart my regulator(where the regulator seat is) unless i have velocity problems, but other than that i just oil it up a little and leave it alone.

BlackVCG
05-05-2002, 02:45 PM
It's the same reason some people change the oil in their car every 3000 miles and others change it when it crosses their mind. If you like to keep it clean, it doesn't hurt to hand clean the on/off pin and o-rings, the PT o-ring and the piston o-ring. The more you take care of it before and after you play, the less chance you'll have a problem arise at the field when you should be playing instead of working on your gun.

ScoobYSnax
05-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Oh ok, thanks guys. For some reason I had the idea that taking apart the regulator/valve was just asking for trouble and should only be done by AGD techs.. THanks for clearing it up!

pumpamatic
05-05-2002, 09:35 PM
I don't take mine apart very often, you risk getting the reg seat dirty. I get good chrono readings, no reason to screw it up.

virus
05-05-2002, 10:31 PM
huh???????????????

you mean we are supposed to clean these things......

cleaning for me is usally just wipe of what splatter i can... or those hits on the gun while tring to get from one bunker to the next...

oil yes.... hose off after a day of play (and i do me hose off... no elec on the gun, ie hopper/warp.... but keep gassed up) towel dry and toss back into my gear bag.....

i think the last time i even took my valve out(other then when i check the bolt spring... ) was this past winter when i got my retro..... only time before that is when i change the pt spacer in my mini vlave......

but the parts kits also go with me to the field just in case....

TransMan
05-05-2002, 10:53 PM
i think it all depends on if u think u can take it apart and put it back together without screwig anyhthing up if u think so take it apart if not leave it alone