PDA

View Full Version : 900th post & Mountian Biking

personman
05-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Just came back from Tsali, in North Carolina near the nantahala outdoor center. It was muddy but fun. Do you guys bike? That was my first real trip, and im getting a real nice bike.. a Trek 4900 (yellow :D ) Post 900! wppt! woot on a stik!

-Jôker-
05-05-2002, 09:20 PM
i attempt to BMX does that count?

obsolete898
05-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Me and my friends used to get drunk then go ride at 2 in the morning. We're not very smart. Bonus though you feel it when you wreck. But you do bleed alot more.

MagMan5446
05-05-2002, 09:27 PM
I used to have a Cannondale Jekyll 1000...Sold it for 2 grand.

Tactical Neural Implant
05-05-2002, 09:59 PM
I have a Specialized Rockhopper. I use to ride trails all the time in California. Since I moved to Pennslyvania, I haven't had time. I've been told there some good areas here though.

Butterfingers
05-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Trek Y3 with avid disc brakes and SXR's up front. Yes I bike a bit.

If you think an e-mag trigger is sensitive one small tug on the brake lever and you will be airborne. These discs can stop a small truck.

MikeCouves
05-06-2002, 08:40 AM
I have a Trek TR 20 BMX that I don't use, and I in? Lol I am too cheap to find the money for a mountain bike!! What's the MTB like down in the states? It's really cool here because of all the rocky terrain and hills and mountains.

lloyd_kinky
05-06-2002, 10:15 AM
I ride in lower and mid Michigan. I haven't gone anywhere big (Moab, or anything cool like that), but I do race the MMBA point series. Good times. I bike is an Ibis Mojo with XTR/9.0SL, CrossMax's, and Sid Carbon. It's Schweeeet ride. And to Think I sometimes think I spend too much on my mag? lol

personman
05-06-2002, 11:54 AM
I dunno about BMX. Personally I think its dumb. I glanced at the screen when my bro was playing a rented BMX game, and the guy jumped and took his foot off the peddle and it gave him points :confused:

personman
05-06-2002, 03:37 PM
this is what im getting.. ooh yeaaa http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/images/mountain/bikes/4900_lg_photo.jpg pretty yellowness

Ground_zer0
05-06-2002, 08:18 PM
I ride a trek Bruiser 2 Downhill bike. Hella sweet.. ive made 40mph on the dirt road called my really long (mile and 2/10) hill of a driveway. Downhill MTB is the way to go. -Matt

personman
05-07-2002, 10:18 AM
lol, and I thought my 24 mph speed was fast..
Right now im riding a Trek 800 Sport.. lol the trails at Tsali totally tore that bike apart. the guy at the shop said it was mainly a Rec bike that wasnt supposed to actually be used for mountian biking. lol, well, Im glad its not my bike, its my brothers, and my dad already ordered the 4900 for me. :D

Ground_zer0
05-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Don't worry too much about your speed. Enjoy your new bike. You have to remember that my bike is made purely for downhill. I literally dont have the gearing to make it back up the hills i go down. I usually end up walkin back up. Plus I was under optimal conditions, and I still almost slid out and got major roadrash. Oh ya.. if you ever decide to spend money on upgradin your new bike id say get some avid mechanical disk brakes, they do wonders for stoping.

Im out -Matt

personman
05-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Yea...
Why do I never see mountian bikers with gel seat covers?? I still cant figure that out..

Ground_zer0
05-08-2002, 03:47 PM
You dont get gel saddlecovers because unless your doing cross country trail biking or somethin that you might be dong a lot of actual sitting on your saddle, you want it low and out of the way. You should be standing on the pedals mostly. If your saddle is not outa the way, you're going to have a very unplesent experience when landing jumps. -Matt

personman
05-08-2002, 04:02 PM
I see.. I dunno, I used a gel seat cover when I just went and it worked out fine.. I diddnt do to much standing, mostly only when there were branches in the trail and puddles..I sat down the rest... It was pretty bumpy..
I just found out that Im not gonna have my bike by next saturday, when I need it.. :( the yellow is on backorder, and the other color is not for me. :p

Butterfingers
05-08-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Ground_zer0
Don't worry too much about your speed. Enjoy your new bike. You have to remember that my bike is made purely for downhill. I literally dont have the gearing to make it back up the hills i go down. I usually end up walkin back up. Plus I was under optimal conditions, and I still almost slid out and got major roadrash. Oh ya.. if you ever decide to spend money on upgradin your new bike id say get some avid mechanical disk brakes, they do wonders for stoping.

Im out -Matt

Oh boy. I see you like those Avids as much as I do. I am NADS (Nifty Avid Disc Society) member number 62. Those things darn near scared me once they were broken in. I can nose pick the bike with one finger on the front brake lever. Those lings lock up RIGHT AWAY if you arent careful. ESPECIALLY with the optional 8 inch rotors and Avid Speed Dial levers dialed into the insane leverage position. It has hauled down from 20 MPH in a little more than one wheel rotation. The next best thing is a steel rod between your spokes. Or Gustav M's but those go for $440 a set.

personman
05-08-2002, 06:55 PM
I dont usually stop sharp, I use my breaks for slowing down. Sometimes on those trails I dont like to be zooming along at 20 mph, especially because I dont know whats around the corner.

Im getting the bike from another place that has it in stock in the store. Were swinging by there tomorrow night an hopefully buying it.

-Jôker-
05-08-2002, 07:15 PM
BMX is not FREESTYE BMX!!!! thers a dif..... theres like 50 varinat of BMX welll more like 5 or 6 thers RACING which is what i do which is cool its like motocross but instead you ride a BMX bike... btw BMX stands for bicycycle motor cross

personman
05-08-2002, 07:31 PM
Hm, I never knew that... Well, it was a dumb game nonetheless. Me and my friend make fun of freestyle BMX by taking our right foot while were riding and putting both the feet, crossed, on 1 peddle. Its pretty funny.
I have pretty much mastered bikeing without handelbars.

Quiet
05-09-2002, 01:22 PM
Ground_zer0 - you might appreciate this
A guy came into the bike shop today with a beautiful Intense DH frame, a shiver up front. He made the mechanic cry. There were street tires on it, a gel seat, and a clown horn on the titanium bars.
More money than brains:(

personman
05-09-2002, 01:29 PM
lol
Arent street tires flat?
Or are they just not as intense of a design pattern?

Quiet
05-09-2002, 01:47 PM
A little knobby on the sides but pretty slick in the middle to reduce its resistance when cruising.

personman
05-09-2002, 02:51 PM
I see. In around 2 hours Im leaving to pick up my bike. :)

Personally, I dont see how a gel seat would get in the way if its tightened to the max. They dont slip around if they fit the seat.. and if it makes the seat a little higher, than lower the seat a little. It not that bulky, and much more confortable. Personally I dont see myself sitting down on a rock hard seat, hitting rocks and all. :rolleyes:

Ground_zer0
05-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Quiet
Ground_zer0 - you might appreciate this
A guy came into the bike shop today with a beautiful Intense DH frame, a shiver up front. He made the mechanic cry. There were street tires on it, a gel seat, and a clown horn on the titanium bars.
More money than brains:(

At that point you claim it needs service, and then refuse to give it back till he gets some brains in his head. Maybe he has had one to many endos without a helmet?

-Matt

Quiet
05-09-2002, 05:03 PM
Well it was coming in for service, and he did want the brakes looked at (hayes by the way).

personman
05-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Got my new bike!
Its yellow. :)
I was just wondering if there was a way to adjust the shocks. I looked in the instuctions manual and diddnt see anything. They seem a bit stiff. It has Judy C RockShox on it. Thanks

irbodden
05-10-2002, 04:26 PM
I am going up to Devil's Head tommarow, best riding within a 5 hour drive.

I ride a Gary Fisher, its my love but I hurt it alot when I am riding. :(