PDA

View Full Version : what is .jpe

bornl33t
05-06-2002, 08:05 PM
I'm finding ALOT of stufff that's .jpe
Funny thing, MS programs can read it but stuff like psp6 and other programs can't. Anyone got some info on this before I go looking?

Potatoboy
05-06-2002, 08:10 PM
.jpe is a JPEG graphic.

Common JPEG extensions are .jpg and .jpeg however .jpe is also seen and accepted.

If you're having a problem opening the file, change the extension to .jpg

I won't go into the history of the extensions, just use .jpg, it's better than .jpeg

sk8dood
05-06-2002, 08:13 PM
just use .jpg, it's better than .jpeg

Are you saying that the extension makes a difference in quality? Neaver heard that before.

Potatoboy
05-06-2002, 08:19 PM
alright....

No, I'm saying that back in the days of DOS, you were limited to an 8 character filename and a 3 character extension.

.jpeg is 4 characters
.jpg is 3

When you transfer a file to a DOS system it will truncate the characters, so .jpeg will become .jpe

Since .jpg is the original standard and has the most compatability, that's the extension that should be used.

ThePatriot
05-06-2002, 10:05 PM
The extension does mess with colors btw. A bmp file is gonna be much better looking then a JPG or a gif. It is true, that is how it saves space on size, by cutting down on pixels and colors.

Potatoboy
05-06-2002, 10:34 PM
That isn't wholly due to the extension.

Those are different filetypes with different compression schemes.

He was thinking that a .jpeg named JPEG and a .jpg JPEG would be different. If they're both saved at the same compression ratios the filesize should *theoretically* be the same.

And I'm not going into why they might not be.

bornl33t
05-07-2002, 02:45 AM
I'm from the Dos area.. I know everything you just said... but I've never seens a jpe before in my life and latly they've been showing up everywhere...

and PSP7.0 can't open it?!?

but MIE can..!?

it is a secure file or something? so ppl can't rip images off websites?

MikeCouves
05-07-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Heat
I'm from the Dos area.. I know everything you just said... but I've never seens a jpe before in my life and latly they've been showing up everywhere...

but MIE can..!?

Just change it. Try putting .jpg at the end of your filename and see how that works.

shartley
05-07-2002, 06:39 AM
ThePatriot

The extension does mess with colors btw. A bmp file is gonna be much better looking then a JPG or a gif. It is true, that is how it saves space on size, by cutting down on pixels and colors.
As was said, it seems you are confusing file type with extension names. JPG has several variants of the extension name, but no matter which one you use, the file should maintain its integrity (as Potatoboy insinuated, there are times this may not hold true, but it does not apply to this case).

The same is true for other file types such as TIF and TIFF. See? The files themselves will not, in general, be affected by the dropping or adding of a standard letter in the extension.

To use your reasoning of names causing color differences, it would be like having 3 cars lined up…
A Corvette, a Ferrari, and a Ford Blazer. They are different vehicles. And they are different vehicles no matter what you called them. And the names only help identify what they are, but are NOT what makes them what they are. They in themselves DO have different qualities, but if you simply changed the names of the vehicles, they would still have the same qualities inherent to each of them individually… same as before. The names just help us identify each of them.

Thus changing JPG to JPE or JPEG does little more than help a particular program or application “recognize” and then open the file correctly. This is also why Potatoboy suggested to change the JPE to JPG since it is now the most commonly recognized extension for that file type.

Heat

but MIE can..!?

No, it is not. It is odd that you have never seen a JPE before, but it is nothing special. It also has nothing to do with being secure. As was already stated, simply replace the jpe with jpg and you will be fine.. nothing to worry about.

ThePatriot
05-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Shartley, i was comparing different extension types, not the same kind of file. Obviously a JPEG is always gonna be a JPEG, i would never say otherwise. I was pressed for time when i wrote what i wrote and if you read it, it says a .bmp is gonna be higher quality then a .jpg... Although there are many different forms of .bmp, such as monochrome or 256 colors...

Let me just put it the way i wanted it, The smaller the size(in kb) the less quality its gonna be compared to the same picture with more size(kb wise). This is in most cases cuz im sure shartley is gonna find a way to say im wrong, but im saying normally...not always.

Are you saying that the extension makes a difference in quality? Neaver heard that before

There, i was answering that...there are multible extensions of bmp that change the way it looks, but the best bmp compared to a JPEG, one is better quality. Take a screen shot of your desktop and save it as a 24 bit color bmp in paint, its about 1-2 mb....save it as a JPEG and its like 170k, if they were the same wouldnt they be the same size as well?

shartley
05-07-2002, 05:33 PM
:rolleyes:

Should I mention that I have taught that stuff? Or that there is a bit more to it than that....? Or ask what the heck that has to do with the original issue? nahhhh let kids play. ;)

sk8dood
05-07-2002, 07:32 PM
Sorry but i ment the differnet extensions like .jpeg and .jpg, not .gif and .jpg. Sorry, my bad.

bornl33t
05-07-2002, 07:33 PM
so weird.. I never really pay much attension to file types when it comes to graphics. Anyway, I'm loking though so old stuff i made up a while ago and guess what!? It's .jpe... I MADE it .jpe

So then I try and open it with the same program I made it will psp 6.0 and guess what? It's won't open!!! What the heck??

I'm running a virus sweep right after i post this message, but I'm really confused.

bornl33t
05-07-2002, 08:01 PM
I dunno what's going on. isuppose I can life with changing file extensions even if it is a pain.

-Jôker-
05-07-2002, 09:41 PM
hmm my comp has problems reading jpg or jpeg but not lpe :D fixed my prob now thanbks for helping me out without even trying!