PDA

View Full Version : Sporeland Tournament on May 5th

agdjon
05-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Thought I would just share the fun and experience I had...

I attended a tournament out in Zion, Illinois at a place called Sporeland. For those of you who don't know, Sporeland is basically a 2 field operation behind someone's house. Regardless of this location, the fields were very impressive. I MEAN REALLY IMPRESSIVE. All speedball with the capability of running either 3, 5, or even a 7 man tournament. They also feature Ultimate Air Ball too!!!

Well, needless to say, the team I hooked up with, Runs With Scissors, composed of the original team members Vance and Tim, myself (I used to play with them in 2000), and another guy Brett (very good friend of mine), did not do so well in the first round but came back with lightning force for the second round. We could have made the semifinals if we did not suffer hot gun penalties (Unfortunately, Vance and Tim shoot Angels which caused our penalty, but at least they have RT's for backup). We ended up finishing 5th out of 7 teams. I was still impressed though.

And now for the deliverance. The tournament, I felt, was run very well. Cheating was almost non-existant because they had 9 (YES COUNT IT), 9 REFS ON THE FIELD AT A TIME!!! Judging was extremely fair and showed no favoritism (I would have gotten the love from Spores easily) but was not expecting it. The judging was probably what made me most impressed about this tournament. Say for example one guy were to charge and bunker someone. But the guy behind the bunker shot the runner out first but they both got marked. Well, the Spores showed professionalism. They allowed the player behind the bunker to continue with his hit because they specifically saw the mark on the runner first. And the great thing about this, noone complained. Not even the runner. THIS IS THE WAY PAINTBALL SHOULD BE RUN. SCREW THE REFS THAT DON'T WANT TO GET IN THE MIDDLE OF IT AND INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE PLAYERS, JUST YANK BOTH PLAYERS WHEN ONE OF THEM SHOULD HAVE REMAINED.

OVERALL, I would have to say that every team that did show up played with great professionalism. Very little disputes occured and were settled quietly and without complaint from either parties. The refs defintely showed great professionalism by actually watching the players instead of the game (HINT HINT REFS, LEARN SOMETHING FROM THE SPORES).

If ever there was a tournament to attend, This would be
it. No cheating from anyone (and if you do cheat, we will be watching) and great sportsmanship was showed by everyone.

I would like to thank the Spores (Chad, Chester, Chance, and Joe) for doing a great job as well as the other team (sorry guys I don't remember the name). I would also like to thank Rob the owner of R&S paintball and Sporeland for running what is probably THE best run paintball tournament EVER!!!

I would also like to thank all the teams for making it a great event without any deliberate cheating or controversy.

Shout outs goto the Diehard 1 & 2, Outlaw Beavers 1 & 2, the Cobras, Misfits, Spores, My guys, and Rob!!!

For more information regarding tournaments held at Sporeland as well as open game play and practice, Please contact Rob or Chad at:
R&S Paintball
2112 63rd st
Kenosha, WI
262-657-5585

Sporeland is located at
42366 N Kilbourne Rd
Zion, IL 60099

Oddball
05-06-2002, 09:28 PM
So how was the new field? Was it a three man toury, you named 4 ppl. I have't been to sporeland in a month or so and heard that they got a larger field set up. My boys would have been there if we weren't working at Sam's Big game. I am looking forward to seeing the spores at Challenge Cup, they are always cool to hang with.