PDA

View Full Version : fatal design flaw in WARP, with fix.

openboater
05-07-2002, 07:26 PM
I call it a fatal flaw cause my son's WARP died during sunday's game. The red wire from the battery connection broke at the solder joint at the curcuit board. The worst place it could break. It broke 'cause there was no strain relief installed at the factory. All the tugs over the months on the wire went straight to the solder joint and not some intermediary point of protection. The fix (after re-soldering) is simple. drill two 1/16th inch holes in the case near the solder joint and thread a tie-wrap thru and loop the wires around the tie-wrap. Now all the strain is taken up by the wire and not the solder.

saee pic below

TransMan
05-07-2002, 07:41 PM
cool thx for the pic

Xzion
05-08-2002, 11:13 PM
No offence or anything, but wouldnt it be easier to just be careful and not pull on the cords?? thats what I do and I havnt had any problems in the least. just some food for thought. :rolleyes: :)

openboater
05-09-2002, 06:32 AM
No offense taken. but, careful only works for a while. I think the damage was done while opening the battery case and the battery drops out , the wire fully extends and tugs on the solder.

Now it's up to the user, if you don't mind sitting in a bunker with a dead warp, and no way to advance a ball, not even with the little white button, then by all means, be careful.

But if you want to improve your odds of playing all day, every day, than take the time to drill 2 tiny holes and thread a tiewrap or piece of string or piece of wire or a tie from a bread bag around those power wires.

besides, my son is 12, careful and 12 don't go together.
Heck, careful and 50 was how I wrecked my knee skiing!!

steveg
05-09-2002, 07:52 AM
No offence or anything, but wouldnt it be easier to just be careful and not pull on the cords?? thats what I do and I havnt had any problems in the least. just some food for thought.

Because strain relief is good engineering practice.
I believe that is something that AGD claims to have

UL CSA and CE (electrical aproval agencies) require by
law that strain relief be used on wiring carrying fatal
voltages. Not a problem here of course, but a good practice always

FrAuStY
05-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Good info! I just ordered a warp and I was going to inspect it real carefully to find any of the areas that may take damage given normal usage. This just helped me out! I'll do this mod before I get it on the gun woohoo!

Zxion.. we normally agree (lol) but preventative maintainence is always a step in the right direction. Better to keep an accident from happening, than happening upon an accident!

PsychoMag
05-09-2002, 03:11 PM
safely and carefully remove the old battery for replacement--FREE

dual 9v conversion properly installed to double run time--$15

Drill 2 holes in the shell to make a quick rig for those of youwho dont know your own strength?--$2 for a bit.

Getting watery cheap team colors paint in the holes and frying the warp board cuz you werent patient enought o do it properly and carefully---priceless

LOL...moral of the story? I dont remember...lol

openboater
05-10-2002, 05:34 AM
Psycho, you're right, thats why I said things like 1/16th inch hole and tiny .

if that still worries anybody, fill whats left of the hole with silicone.

JEDARAPA2
05-11-2002, 10:36 AM
I had the same thing happen to me..the red wire popped of its solder joint. Thanks for the tip!