PDA

View Full Version : brake cleaner

TransMan
05-07-2002, 09:18 PM
hey a guy i know uses brake cleaner to clean his handgun i was wondering if i could use it in my mag btw brake cleaner not brake fluid

BlackVCG
05-07-2002, 10:00 PM
No, it will break down the o-rings.

MrMag
05-07-2002, 10:58 PM
ohhhhhhhhh really? we'll see about that.............................................. ...................................DAMN!

oldsoldier
05-08-2002, 12:15 PM
I use it extensively to clean my rifle. However, it can (and will) cause damage to any anodization or coloring on your gun. It is NOT recommended for paintball guns...hell, it isnt recommended for firearms either (the army has regulations against using it to clean smallarms). It does a great job at breaking down carbon, which you will NOT find in a paintball gun. Do not use it. You have been warned.:D

Army
05-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Problem with real firearms, is that it will pull all the oil out of the metal too, leaving it raw for rust to start immediatly. It also will damage the phosphate finish on military arms, which is why the military dis-allows it's use(-10 stuff oldsoldier!)

Since your Pball gun has no high temperature burns on it, just use a clean rag to wipe it down. Dirt and oil is all you are cleaning off anyway.

TransMan
05-08-2002, 09:28 PM
thx a lot guys i WONT use it

oldsoldier
05-09-2002, 10:19 AM
lol Army...figured most ppl here have no idea what a "-10" is though....:D

FrAuStY
05-09-2002, 12:11 PM
I'm not exactly sure why you'd want to use brake cleaner to clean a paintball gun anyway. As mentioned before, all ou are cleaning is oil and paint. Just break down your marker once you're done playing and clean it with soap/water and papertowels! If you get a gun shot.. take some water in a spray bottle and just spray the paint off. As long as its pressurized water won't get in since air can't get out. Last I heard, a molecule of our nitrogen is way smaller than a molecule of water. Keep using that soap and water! Hell take it in the shower with your dirty self! ;)