PDA

View Full Version : I don't get why another reg (palmer, max-flow) is not beneficial to mag---plz explain

ScoobYSnax
05-08-2002, 04:56 PM
I just got a used retro valve the other day. I haven't used it yet, but if the consistency is what my current AIR valve was like, then I would like to try to improve upon it. I was often getting +/-10, and all the parts/o-rings, etc... were in good condition and everything oiled. Now, occasionally I would get like +/-2, but on occasion is not what I'd like. I want to hit +/-3 ALL the time (95% of the time or so). So, to get better consistency, I was thinking of buying a Male Palmer stabilizer reg or a max-flow vert reg. After reading about this, most people say this is a bad idea and just causes shootdown.

So what gives? WHy would that happen? Would it even improve consistency using an aftermarket regulator like that? Or is all that really matters the Mag regulator itself, and any nitro tank should be able to output consistent enough pressures. Just let me know about this whole topic. Thanks!

FooTemps
05-08-2002, 04:57 PM
You would starve your valve by using 3 regulators on your mag.

Chris
05-08-2002, 05:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with double or tripple regulating your mag, so long as there is roughly a 200 psi difference between regs. This means that your input pressure has to be ~800psi, your stab(or whatever you want to use) is at ~600 psi, and your mag is chronoed in, which will regulate itself to ~350 psi.

With a stab, there is no problems, in fact, I highly recomend using one if you are running CO2, it will also help with nitro, but to a lesser degree.

If you set your regs too close to each other, pressure wise, then you may run into a starvation problem, where the gun is not getting enough gas to function properly.

-Chris

FatMan
05-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Hmm, Chris, that's partly right.
First off, if you run a ReTro Valve
at 600psi you might not be very happy with it. But you can just find the
setting you like and then adjust the
inline 200psi above that and the bottle 200psi above that.

Having that many regs WILL slow down the flow a bit - if you find it does, then go from 200psi differential to 250psi or 300psi might help.

If you are using a fixed-output reg, then you might like the fact that an inline gives you adjustable pressure - which matters on the RT. But since most of the fixed regs are at 750 or 800psi you can have problems related to the above. If its a 900psi reg it might be OK. Still, you would probably be better off selling the bottle and getting an adjustable with that and the money for the Stab.

The issue though is consistency. The problem is adding an inline is not going to do anything noticable to consistency with an RT valve that the bottle reg wouldn't do just as well. The only real difference might be between the first and last of the bottle - not shot-to-shot.

With the RT valve you need to understand its operation and quirks before you decide its shooting inconsistently. Read the manual and be sure you are using the specified chrono procedure.

Finally, you will probably find that the barrel and paint are having a bigger effect on shot-to-shot consistency than anything else. For the cost of a Stab you might be able to get a better barrel system - or maybe a change of paint is in order.

The AIR and RT valves are pretty darn good regulators - and they have the most impact on chamber pressure and the resulting shot consistency. Adding an inline before it doesn't help much. I recommend you focus on other areas to improve consistency.

FatMan

Butterfingers
05-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Agreed consistency can best be acheived by good paint and proper barrel matches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the AGD regs. With a proper paint match you can expect to acheive +/-2 most of the time.

Do this for yourself.

Take a straw. Put a very loose peice of paper in it then blow it out.

Now pack a really tight peice of paper in the straw then blow it out.

Which one comes out faster?

Which was harder to blow out?

As you can see paint and barrel matching has everything to do with consistency.