PDA

View Full Version : 8 or 10 inch barrel recomendations?

BIGJON
05-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Im looking for a short compact 8 or 10 inch barrel. I have a 14 inch carbon fiber on my minimag but it is a lil to bulky for the speedball i play. I know of some barrels that im looking into, but its really hard to find a 10 inch barrel...let alone a automag 10 inch barrel. What I really want is a red custom products 10 inch...I have found a 10 inch all american but i really dont wanna fork out 90 bucks. Also i found a smart parts 8 inch venturi barrel for like 37 bucks at xpaintball but that looks really crapy. Im wondering if nayone knows of a good 10 inch barrel or a site i vcan find a 10 inch cp. Ill also buy a used one off someone if they have one...
thanks

HoppysMag
05-12-2002, 07:53 PM
http://www.paintballfulfillment.com/eight00/Subclass.asp?ProductLine=+++BARRELS&Class=+++++++++++++++++++++++AUTOMAG&Subclass=++++++++++++++++++++++++++++10

no CP's but i too am looking for a 10 inch barrel so if i find one il let you know.... im looking fora J&J Ceramic 10 incher if any one knows where i can find one.

theraidenproject
05-12-2002, 07:58 PM
I like my Dye 10" Stainless Steel. With the equation pro barrel kit, if you don't put in the middle section, I believe the barrel is 7 or 8". Also, IIRC, it said on the angel guy's website, that his freak front will make the freak less than 8"

HoppysMag
05-12-2002, 09:28 PM
http://www.customyoyo.com/one_piece_barrel.html

and

http://www.customyoyo.com/contact.html

FeelTheRT
05-12-2002, 09:47 PM
too short of a barrel is gonna reduce your gas efficancy... i'd rather go for a 16 or 14.

HoppysMag
05-12-2002, 10:12 PM
dude its too long a barrel reduces gas efficency... if it takes X amout of gas to get a ball mooving at 300fps out of a 10 inch barrel it will take X+Y to get it out of a 14 inch barrel. although these numbers are extremely small. easyest way to see it is to chrono a gun with a 8 inch barrel at 300, then put a 14 inch barrel on and watch the velocity be lower. it really only works with super consistant guns ( IE No co2 unless on a good reg)

Ov3rmind
05-12-2002, 10:44 PM
If you wan't an 8" barrel, get the Berserk. For like $85 (don't remember exact price), you get an aluminum tip with 3 SS inserts of your choice (bore sizes). I saw one on this guy's Spyder about a month ago. All I have to say is I was thoroughly impressed. You can see 'em at www.equationusa.com.

MajorDamage
05-12-2002, 11:59 PM
I use a 10" Carbon Fiber, my favorite barrel Ive owned. Buy one in 10" :D

ENDO!

Bonx0007
05-13-2002, 12:06 AM
8" smart parts venturi barrels are sweet.

Jack_Dubious
05-13-2002, 12:35 AM
I too have been looking for an 8 or 10 inch barrel. I just see barrels that are 14+ a waste of gas. I asked Colin Thompson of Lapco if he could make a 10" barrel and he said that he made them before but no one would buy them.. "We live in a 14 inch world" he said :P

Ill probably order a 10inch unported barrel from Palmers Pursuit.

JDub

FeelTheRT
05-13-2002, 05:03 AM
It's called step-bore my friend. 6 or 8 inches acutally touch the ball while the rest is just there to make it more quieter and provide extra length so you can aim easier.

Brian68mag
05-13-2002, 07:24 AM
you must not be too into the physics of paintball huh?
the ball need 8 inches to get up to speed and 2-4 more to shoot straight, its no easier to aim with a 16 inch barrel then a 12 inch and they will shoot the same distance at the same accuracy.
16 is way to big, 12 is perfect 14 is fine and 10 is fine

BIGJON
05-13-2002, 08:11 AM
Is the smart parts venturi good? It looks kinda sketchy...I
have seen one or 2 websites with it there but im not sure. anyone have one? Bcz it seems nice and cheap :). Im only looking for it to play speedball so im not wanting some dead accurite rambo barrel.

HoppysMag
05-13-2002, 02:07 PM
FeelTheRT, what you are thinkin of is the effective lenght ( length without porting, muzzel break.... ect ) it says in toms article in APG about Pressure and Barrels that a 8-10 inch effective barrel length is best for Automags...so if i can find a 10 inch barrel with an 8 inch effective length i would be verry happy....

toms article can be found in the June 2002 issue of APG.

PsychoMag
05-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by FeelTheRT
too short of a barrel is gonna reduce your gas efficancy... i'd rather go for a 16 or 14. someone is backwards...lol

Dude, I just used a 8" Taso Pro-Series on my Emag. It shot awesome, no breaks using team colors. went thru a case and a half, and was shooting darts all day. Especially if you already use a Carbon fiber. Should shoot the same paints. I have a carbon fiber too, I save NPS barrels(Taso, 32*) for 32*, ZAP, or Proball which is NPS paints

FeelTheRT
05-13-2002, 03:09 PM
ok, in my hands right now i am holding a 10" CP barrel with a ruler next to it. Porting starts on the 6th inch, the rest of the 4 inches are just porting either letting the gas escape or slowing down the ball. On lets say on a 10" DYE Boomstick. 6" touch the ball, 4 inches of porting but not slowing ball down because barely touching the paintball. Now subsitute the 10" tip with a 16" tip. Since the non control bore barely touches the ball, efficancy should be similar with the 10" Boomstick. See what i'm saying?

BIGJON: Why would you want a barrel that short anways? 12" should be the shortest you should go. IMO the longer the better because it helps me and many other people shoot more accurately. If you play supair related fields, you know you can sink your longer barrel into the bunkers or push them away. On any other barrel type fields, when bunkering someone, you can kinda put your barrel on the bunker of the person that your about to bunker and just roll the barrel towards the victom while he comes into your sight. Playing tight is a skill, buying super long dropforwards and really short barrels is just cheating. Besides, most players tend to shoot more accurately with a longer barrel and no drop.

HoppysMag
05-13-2002, 03:25 PM
??
Playing tight is a skill, buying super long dropforwards and really short barrels is just cheating.

ok , so under your logic if i buy a timmpmann model 98. a 21 inch barrel and a 114 nitro tank with no drop, i am a better sports man becuase i play "tight" with a super long gun??

dude drops are made to make the gun more comfterable.not to make it harder to hit. i like shot barrels becuase it makes it more porportioned. im a small kid ( like 5'2" 115 pound highschool sophmore :D ) so i dont need to practice "Playing tight" i also dont need a gun that is longer than i am.... and what you described is the "Effective" lenght. you like long barrels, i like short barrels. i personaly will never go above 12 inches, you wont go below 12 inches. if your trying to convince me ( us ) to get longer barrels, you are wasting air.

HoppysMag
05-13-2002, 03:33 PM
OK here we go....

this is toms article on barrel eficientcy..
http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/01_barrel_eff.shtml

and i quote "So as far as our guns are concerned, the best efficiency would be had with an 8-10" effective length barrel." right now my 12 inch teardrop is about 7.5 inches of effective length. i would like a barrel that is 8 inches WITH OUT porting. as in just a 8 inch long tube, no holes at all. i dont want a 14 inch barrel with a 8 inch effective length. i want a 8 inch barrel with a 8 inch effective length.

FeelTheRT
05-13-2002, 04:59 PM
oringnally posted by hoppysmag
ok , so under your logic if i buy a timmpmann model 98. a 21 inch barrel and a 114 nitro tank with no drop, i am a better sports man becuase i play "tight" with a super long gun??

well no but i'm just saying that people who whine how their 12-14 inch barrels are too long to play front are big babies because honestly they don't make too much of a difference while playing. but while shooting, myself and many other players find it much easier to shoot more accurately with a longer barrel because its easier to sight down the side of the gun.

Originally posted by HoppysMag
??
drops are made to make the gun more comfterable.not to make it harder to hit.

true but people claim how having a super long dropforwards make them play so much more tighter. But thats only in one position, ever tried it in all five playing positions you can be in? Also having a longer tank/ no DF gives you more stable shots.

there was a thread on this topic recently on PBN... lemme try to dig it out

edit: found em...
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55630
&
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90405

personman
05-13-2002, 05:07 PM
as in just a 8 inch long tube, no holes at all. i dont want a 14 inch barrel with a 8 inch effective length. i want a 8 inch barrel with a 8 inch effective length.
Me too. :( I saw a 6 in one with no holes on pbreview.. only for tippys. :(

HoppysMag
05-13-2002, 06:18 PM
i think im gunna call up palmer and get a 8 incher no porting for the 55$ he charges.... any one else interested, heres his link.

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/CATALOG/Other-Misc.htm

BIGJON
05-13-2002, 09:39 PM
Well i like being nice and compact in my speedball games. I dont care about accuricy bcz legnth really doesnt matter when im shooting at somehting 15 yeards away. i have a long barrel for my big games...I dont care if anyone thinks im a sissy bcz of the length of my damn barrel, thats ridiculous.I dont need to push my barrel in or through anything...im behind and airbag an i just dont want to have to worry about a 16 inch barrel poping out. I already have a 14 so i dont wanna just go down to a 12. im thinking a cheap 10 or 8 would be fine. so there ya go.
and thanks for all the info guys. I apprecaite it all so far. you guys are great

athomas
05-14-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind
If you wan't an 8" barrel, get the Berserk. For like $85 (don't remember exact price), you get an aluminum tip with 3 SS inserts of your choice (bore sizes). I saw one on this guy's Spyder about a month ago. All I have to say is I was thoroughly impressed. You can see 'em at www.equationusa.com.

The berserk is only available with screw in threads, not automag threads.

I have a nice inexpensive TASO nickle plated aluminum 8.5" barrel that works very well. They are about $25.00 so aren't a burden to the pocketbook at all. I also use the Equation Design Multiple switch barrels. Mine is a 16" that I like to use when playing woods and sup-air. They are very nice. I do wish they had a shorter barrel for fixed bunker speedball though. I'm in the process of buying a 12" extension which I will cut down to give me a 8 - 9" barrel length. The beauty of the multiple switch barrel are the changeable teflon coated stainless inserts, much like the Freak system only stronger.