PDA

View Full Version : I finally got track times!!

animal
05-13-2002, 01:03 AM
I finally got a chance to drag my truck friday night. Yes I know, my r/t's are terrible, but in my defense it was my first time racing.

Run 1:
r/t 0.982
60' 2.045
330 5.781
1/8 8.831@80.81
1000 11.485
1/4 13.729@100.60

Run 2:
r/t 0.972
60' 2.124
330 5.862
1/8 8.914@80.81
1000 11.567
1/4 13.811@100.64

She's completely stock, but this was my baseline before the mods, which are en route :) Next step... breaking 13 :)

Mango
05-13-2002, 09:42 AM
hey those are good times. This past friday I was at the track and a stock lightening, without the tailgate and with sticky rubber on the back, did a 13 FLAT!!! totally stock otherwise. :)

animal
05-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Well with slicks on the back, it should drop a Lightning from 3-5 tenths (so I've heard), so that's techincally a good time for stock. Mine was feeling pretty slow that night, it's probably related to the fact that I was running on an empty tank. As soon as I gassed up, it felt like a different truck. I also have to remember to disconnect the battery to "unlearn" the trans, as well as install a boost dump bypass kit to stop the abuse management program from engaging. I'll be going again in the near future, and stock I hope to run 13.5's pretty easily.

Zumina
05-13-2002, 11:33 AM
too bad, You should race an early 90s Cyclone or Typhoon. Fastest production trucks ever made.

animal
05-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Zumina
too bad, You should race an early 90s Cyclone or Typhoon. Fastest production trucks ever made.

I am not flaming you, but I must set the record straight for the reputation of the Lightning, something I defend to the same respect as my emag :)

The Syclones and typhoons are/were NOT considered production vehicles. A 3rd party (Production Automotive Services, Inc) did the modifications to the engines and chassis hence making them non-production models.

SVT is a ford production facility, therefore making the Lightning the fastest production truck to date.

Note: I am not sure if the Dodge RAM SRT-10 will be production or not. (Slated to be faster by a bit)

Like I said, not flaming you, just did my homework to defend my baby. :)

Mango
05-13-2002, 01:35 PM
animal is right. I saw both a cyclone AND typhoon run at Atco on friday also, and they were not running any impressive times. one was a 14.2 and the other was around 13.8 or so. The lightening was still faster I know that for sure. One race was with the Typhoon vs. another Lightening and the lightening won. They are all fast trucks.

animal
05-13-2002, 01:53 PM
Well don't take what I said the wrong way. The sy's and ty's are very fast vehicles. There was one going 12.0's at the track I was at on friday night. This was obviously modded. Stock Syclones will run 13.4-14.3 in the 1/4, and Typhoons will run 13.8-14.7. Most of this comes from the 4 wheel drive's ability to launch at max torque with little wheelspin. They're governed to 126mph stock (i believe), so they'd really suffer in a longer distance race. All in all, yes, they are very fast little trucks, even when stock. But I was merely pointing out that they are not PRODUCTION trucks at all.

Mango: Just think if the lightning didn't outweigh a syclone by about 1500 lbs! That and consider the fact that around 1000 bux will get me WELL into the 12's without slicks.

Zumina
05-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Mango: Just think if the lightning didn't outweigh a syclone by about 1500 lbs! That and consider the fact that around 1000 bux will get me WELL into the 12's without slicks. [/B][/QUOTE]

considering you produce 100 Hp and lb/ft of torque more than the Syclone, and you only weigh an aditional 820 lbs, I think it would be a good race. I'm not saying one is better. I just admire the fact that 10 year-old GM technology is keeping up with/better than current Ford technology.

animal
05-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Well it's a syclone with a load if it's only 820 lbs difference. I think you're quotin the typhoon #'s. I also added in my weight, since the lightning is just shy of 5000lbs with me in it. So sue me for rounding.

And on another note, any well built muscle car engine with forced induction can keep up with today's technology just fine. Especially with 4wd. So it's not exactly a major feat to have old technology keep up. I will admit they are cool cause you could buy them that way, just like the lightning, only they're (still) way overpriced for what they are. One could say that about the lightning too though. It's too bad the price is jacked up severely by emissions equipment on both. :( The need to give me my cheap 8mpg straight header noise and air pollution machine!

This thought sparks another interesting question... but i decided it needs it's own thread.... it's here:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36078

FactsOfLife
05-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by animal
I finally got a chance to drag my truck friday night. Yes I know, my r/t's are terrible, but in my defense it was my first time racing.

Run 1:
r/t 0.982

Run 2:
r/t 0.972
Next step... breaking 13 :)

as a former drag bike driver, my next step here would be to learn the tree.
I'm assuming you were using a .500 tree and not a .400 protree start?

animal
05-14-2002, 12:11 PM
That would be a correct assumption. The reason i'm not going to spend a TON of time on my r/t's quite yet, is because I don't bracket race. I merely went for e/t's to see what the truck will do. I figure as I work on e/t's, the r/t's will come along.