PDA

View Full Version : Warp disk shims...

hitech
05-13-2002, 03:34 PM
I needed to "shim" my warp disks (to increase the space between them) because the paint I was using was to big. I made a crud shim from a sheet of paper. I was wondering if anyone makes shims that would be precut to the correct size with holes cut out for the bolts, etc.? Anyone able/interesting in making any?

Muzikman
05-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Let me see if I got a few thin sheets of lexan at home. I might be able to cut out a few, about how thick do you need them?

BTW, I have always just used electrical tape, works like a champ.

BlackVCG
05-13-2002, 05:21 PM
Cut out cardboard from cereal boxes works as a quick fix.

hitech
05-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys. I just used a "normal" sheet of paper I had in my bag and it seemed to work. I also used KC Trouble Free to oil the disks, so THAT might have done more than the paper shim. I was thinking that properly cut paper shims would be relatively easy to make and inexpensive. If no one makes them, maybe I'll try.

BTW, I just could not seem to get the electrical tape to stay put and not hang over where I thought it would be a problem.

I would think that lexan shims would need to be very thin. About the same as the cardboard that BlackVCG suggested.

What does BlackVCG stand for, anyways...

hitech
05-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Anyone else? How do you "shim" your warp? Does anyone know how to tell if you have "shimmed" it enough?