PDA

View Full Version : Nitro tanks... ACI 68ci 3000psi, need help!!

Barrakuda <>-<
05-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey, I am thinking about buying a nitro tank. This guy wants to sell me his tank for $100.00 it is 68ci 3000psi about 2 months old. I have no clue on nitro tanks so I need help, thanks. Here is a picture of the tank...

http://www.pbreview.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=483344

Tyril
05-14-2002, 05:58 AM
The pic dies out to a 403 (forbidden).

However, I can probably give you some advice. Is the tank fiber wrapped or steel? Fiber tanks are very light, but a bit more expensive, whereas steel tanks are heavy as all hell ;)

Nitro tanks, due to their dangerous high pressure nature, have to be checked, or "hydrostatically tested" every so often (usually 3 years for fiber tanks, 5 for steel). Ask for the hydro date stamped on that tank, see if it has time left before needed to be re-tested. If the hydro date has passed, or will pass soon, don't buy that particular tank, as hydro'ing costs about $30-50 extra.

The next variable is refresh rate. When placed under the demands of very high rof (full auto or electro semi), certain cheaply made tanks will begin to see drop-off. Drop-off is the regulator on the tank being unable to recharge quickly enough, and the effect is shots at under normal velocity. Someone owning a normal, mechanical marker will probably never see drop-off from their tank, unless it has a bum regulator.

Another thing to think about is the output on the tank's regulator. The regulator basically converts the 3000 or 4500 psi in the tank to a lower pressure for output. most normal screw in tanks have a pre-set of 850 psi (just perfect for mags). There are also low pressure tanks (400psi) for certain, non-mag LP guns. There are also certain tanks who's output is adjustible, one of which is AGD's Flatline tank. With these you can adjust the output of the tank from around 600 psi to 1200 or so. This allows you to fine-tune your marker.

All in all, $100 for a 68 ci 3000 psi fiber wrapped tank is a pretty good deal, as long as it has been recently hydro'd. Just make sure it is in good shape. (No major scratches or damage).

Hope I've been able to help. It is early yet, so please excuse any typos or omissions. Enjoy!

-Mike

Barrakuda <>-<
05-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Ok, sorry about the pic thing. Go here http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58053&pagenumber=2 and scroll down a bit to the ACI tank...

is that tank worht 100 or is that a rip-off, thanks.

BrEaKcYcLe
05-14-2002, 10:54 PM
it's an adjustable tank i say go for it