PDA

View Full Version : Drop Forward vs Remote Line

Strider
05-14-2002, 11:55 AM
I'd just like to get peoples answers on the topic of Drops and remotes.

I'm wondering what the advantages and disadvantages to both styles are.

I've been playing quite a while with a remote line setup on my mag, and it seems to work fine for me. I've not really found a drop setup that felt comfortable. Durring my time playing, people migrated to and from the setup, to the point now where tourney players ask me what the remote line setup is for... :p

As I've recently aquired an EMag, I figured I'd revisit the issue... :)

Bartleby
05-14-2002, 12:12 PM
really it's all preference. i like the drop feel because i need the weight of the gun to be balanced from bottom to top. with 4lbs of balls on top and a couple pounds from my tank on bottom it just feels right for me. i also like the drop because i play with my marker right up into my shoulder and the tank offers a good source of support.

although, i can also see the pros about a remote line. i mean, you can take a few pounds off the gun and load it on your back making the act of playing the game less strenuous on your arms and torso. not to mention, for some people it's nice because then the tank is up and out of the way.

but like i said, it's all a matter of preference and if you've been using a remote for a while then you may want to stick with what works. but, likewise, should you pick up a gun with a drop and you decide you like then feel then go for it, and good luck with your new gun.

Quiet
05-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Well put Bartleby

It's really just a matter of balance and weight, neither outshines the other, If you are comfortable with what you've got stick with it.

Tyril
05-14-2002, 05:05 PM
I've tried both, and personally I like the Drop Forward best. The light weight of the tank-less marker is nice, but I could never get used to switching firing hands with the tube around my back. It's all about preference.

-Mike

FeelTheRT
05-14-2002, 05:11 PM
neither, but between the both of em, i'd choose a small DF.

Metzger
05-14-2002, 05:33 PM
I'm more of a remote kinda guy... I hooked my remote straight to my ReTrovalve so i just use the QD and not the screw in thing.... I think it makes my gun much smaller and I can't switch hands really because of the warp I really don't have to worry about that but once again its all a matter of prefrence:D

Croix71
05-14-2002, 07:45 PM
I've tried both and I prefer drop forward. Although using a remote makes things a whole lot lighter, my `Mag feels front heavy and unbalanced. Also I didn't like my remote line get caught on bushes and branches.

ShinyGuy
05-14-2002, 07:47 PM
I prefer remote.

Pros:
less weight on gun
easier to snap shoot
easier to run and shoot

Cons:
hard to switch hands (get a warp feed)
ballence can be off (I love the ballence with remote and a warp)
can't put it down between games without wasting air (some sort of sling)
tank bounces of your back when you run (get a good pack)
hard to swap guns with someone for a game

If you like the remote there's no good reason to change.

xmetal2001
05-14-2002, 08:19 PM
I think you see more tourney players going with the drop-forward(or simply an asa)because it gives you the ability to stabilize your marker against your shoulder while snapshooting. While snapshooting its very important to have all the balls you shoot hitting in the exact same place(or atleast very close). I hada friend who used to have a remote. I personally prefered my small drop to his remote. The weight difference isn't enough for me to sacrifice accuracy.

kemikos
05-14-2002, 09:04 PM
xmetal,

I agree with you about needing to stabilize the marker against your shoulder for accurate shooting, but you don't necessarily need to do it with the tank. My favorite setup is a remote line with a nice lightweight stock of some type (I really like the Blackpoint Engineering folders, incidentally). That way you can easily hold the marker steady while keeping the weight on your back instead of your arms.

I find it's much easier to hold a lightweight marker steady for a longer period of time, since my arms get tired after a while (and I'm no weakling, either... the markers I play with most often weigh between 4 and 7 pounds empty).

My suggestion is to try it both ways, and see what you like better. The setup that's most comfortable for you is the best setup for you. What's good for anyone else doesn't really matter.

Strider
05-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Up topic for the morning!

I'm seeing some good thoughts, keep them comming!

Strider
05-16-2002, 11:21 AM
Up