PDA

View Full Version : Paintball dropping V Bolt Speed

tomcat
05-15-2002, 03:25 PM
I think that a bolt cycling once should not exceed the speed of a paintball falling .685 ~.70 inches with 1 G or force behind it!

From 0 fps to dropping that distance, what speed is a paintball doing?

What is the average speed (fps) that a bolt completes one cyle for the following guns:

WDP Autococker Low Pressure
Angel
Automag RT
E-mag

Cristobal
05-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey Tomcat, you can put an img line in your sig so that you don't have to keep attaching it every time -- just make make the reference be one of the attachments you've posted.

To the topic on hand, you make an interesting point as far as gravity fed guns go, but I'm going to disagree with you when it comes to force feeding systems. With something like a warp or the new belt-drive halo, it doesn't make sense to me to limit the speed of the bolt because of a condition that no longer exists.
As far as actual bolt speeds go, I don't know any of the top of my head, but I believe there's been a fair amount of talk in deep blue about bolt speed... you might try looking there.

FrAuStY
05-16-2002, 05:30 PM
I see what you're getting at..but I think you may have forgotten one small factor. (I'm no physics professor)There is actually more than 1g of force exerted on a paintball when its being loaded. This additional force comes from the "stack" of paintballs above it. Normally you have about 6-7 balls all in contact in the stack pushing down on the ball about to be loaded once the bolt clears the feed tube. Since all of these balls exert 1g a piece I would think theres more like 6-7 g's exerted on the waiting ball. I know somewhere Tom went off on a tangent and found that a paintball going from 0-300 fps in 10 inches has over 1500 G's of force exerted on it due to acceleration. It seems likely they can withstand the pressure of 7g's to load them... just not a sudden stop :) The reason most guns chop paint when they're low is because they don't have an acceleration of 7g's they have the acceleration of 1g. Thats why the powerfeed was invented :) Don't know if that makes sense.

Jack_Dubious
05-17-2002, 02:44 PM
The force of gravity is not going to change if there is more than one ball stacked upon the initial ball. While a stack of balls will have more mass than a single ball, gravity will pull on them with the same force, and they will fall at the same rate.

JDub