PDA

View Full Version : Freak or AA

05-15-2002, 03:25 PM
is getting the freak really worth paying the extra $100 instead of getting a 2002 All-American? i know the freak comes with diff bore sizes but exactly how many do you need? about 2 or 3 at the most? also... i'm kinda on a low budget so which one would be the best for me... i'm more so of a front player than a back player

TransMan
05-15-2002, 03:30 PM
im guessing you should prob get AA since your on a low budget freak is kinda pricy

05-15-2002, 03:33 PM
i can save up enough money to buy a freak, it will take about one more week if i was to get the freak... i want to know, in the long run, is the freak better to get than the AA or would the AA perform just as well as the freak?

TransMan
05-15-2002, 03:38 PM
the freak will perform better than the AA expecialy if u liek shooting dif paint or cant always get the same paint

05-15-2002, 03:42 PM
allright, so the freak IS worth spending the extra money?

RT_Luver
05-15-2002, 04:00 PM
YES, The Freak is an AWESOME barrel. especially if you got to different fields or u like different paint OR ur a tourny player, allota tournies use different paint and the freak comes in real handy

05-15-2002, 06:55 PM
aight, thanks. i'll get the freak cause we plan on going to tournies plus we use factory seconds for our paint... like i said we're all on a low budget for paintball :rolleyes:

Croix71
05-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Go with the Freak! :D

Mighty_Quack
05-16-2002, 12:17 PM
save up and go with the freak. I have actually used around 6 inserts on my freak kit now. If you had a few barrels of various bore sizes then I would say no. But if this is a barrel purchase to work with everything.

Freak or
Equation USA Multiswitch or
Equation USA Bizerk

depends on your budget really and what you like the looks of

PsychoMag
05-16-2002, 01:08 PM
I did notice that with my AA tip, the noise is less than with my freak tip...

FrAuStY
05-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Also think about how paintballs react to humidity/temperature changes. I know people who have matched paint to their insert in the morning 8-9am then at noon-1pm the paint has swollen a little bit. So yes the freak allows for the most consistency and efficiency since you can perfectly match paint ragardless of advertised paint bore.

FatMan
05-16-2002, 02:25 PM
I've owned a few AAs and I now own a Freak. I've decided I really don't care for the AA - I think the porting is just too agressive too far up the barrel. The REALLY long AAs have a longer first stage and that's OK, if you like a 16" or longer barrel - probably not for a front player.

I think one of the reasons the Boomie took over so much of the AAs market is that the Boomie's porting far up on the barrel isn't as agressive - then they add extra porting at the tip.

The idea situation is to own several AAs or Boomies at different bores - but that is rather expensive. The Freak is actually the LESS EXPENSIVE approach to a professional barrel system.

That said, you CAN get a single Freak barrel, and then buy a couple of extra inserts, rather than the kit. I get the most use out of the .687, .689, .691, and .693 of course it REALLy depends on what kind of paint you shoot. You can probably do fine with 3 of them if you shoot smaller or larger paint.

If you can afford it, getting the kit is really the best way to go. I recommend the standard teardrop tip - it keeps the porting near the tip of the barrel. I like the 12", but the 10" is cool if you need a really short gun.

FatMan