PDA

View Full Version : Me vs Jonno again

ThePatriot
05-15-2002, 04:13 PM
now, would all of you please tell Jonno here that Sum 41 and Jimmy Eat World are more pop than Slipknot. He seems to think all those MTV bands nowadays are hardcore and cool, and claims anyone who listens to slipknot is a poppy person and is gay. I hope some of you here could explain to him the facts, he sure not listening to me.

dansim
05-15-2002, 04:20 PM
jimmy eat world sucks period that songs only cool cause chicks are in their underwear now a cool band is N.E.R.D they rock oh and reville

ThePatriot
05-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Well thank you Dansim, perhaps this time you could debate the issue at hand here, which is more hardcore, punk in general or slipknot...

SlipknotX556
05-15-2002, 04:26 PM
let me put it this way. Slipknot is great. Sum 41 is a bunch of gay people. In one of their videos they have this guy run right on top of this other guy and they fall of this high dive into a pool. They were trying to copy the thing from "back to school"

Jonno06
05-15-2002, 04:45 PM
me and sean never talked about "hardcore" bands.its about who knows of which band the most,making them poppy.Sum 41 is somewhat poppy,and so is slipknot....im not saying niether is not poppy,but BOTH ARE poppy.....

I am no way saying that "heavy rap/metal(or whatever)" in general is poppy.But slipknot,is.

Just like how I am not saying ALL punk is poppy,but Sum 41,is....

and yes,that video rules b/c chicks are in thier underwear....

NERD sucks....rap sucks....

ThePatriot
05-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Soo, what you are saying is, slipknot has a likeness to Blink 182, and Sum 41? and Nsync? I should tell some people i know that...

dansim
05-15-2002, 05:18 PM
sorry
b;link 182 rocks but alas ive never seen a slipknot video so does that make them unpoppy? slipknot is a hrdaer rock and therefore not pop but if you look for sum41 theyll be in pop right after shakira and before some band that starts with t

ENIGMA
05-15-2002, 06:22 PM
recently banned, but I'm back! JOnno I could'nt agree with you more, RAP does indeed suck!

speedballbanks
05-15-2002, 07:58 PM
rap sucks bad so does everything else listen to some real music like modest mouse or the dismemberment plan or the dumwaiters but slipknot is pretty good for all that yelling they do i have an old slipknot cd there is a song called wait and bleed it is awesom every song on it though is pretty damn good now that i think about it

go slipknot.

Jonno06
05-15-2002, 08:03 PM
dude....sum 41 is technically alternative.....and slipknot is Rock....or whatever,,,but people(the majority,or minority?) listen to slipknot,and even if you have never seen/heard them,you still KNOW of them.so they are poppy.or popular.....

speedballbanks
05-15-2002, 09:05 PM
hey man everyone on this earth has heard of sum 41 how could yuo listen to them?? are you a blonde 12 year old girl??? no be honest you don't actually like there music do you ?? are you just running with the crowds??

WARPED1
05-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Slipknot is the farthest thing from(quoting Jonno)"poppy".Have you ever actualy listened to them?Half thier songs can't even be played on MoronTV(I used to like MTV.......when they PLAYED VIDEOS!)

SlipknotX556
05-15-2002, 11:27 PM
All the Slipknot Videos showed on MTV have been banned. Their has never been a Slipknot music video on MTV for more than a week.

ThePatriot
05-15-2002, 11:32 PM
HEY MAN, SUM 41 IS COOL!! THEY ARE CANADIAN!!! LOL

Yep, thats right, lemme do a small rendition here of some punk music for you, AH LA LALALLALALA AH AH LALLALA ITS GONNA BE OK, EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT, LIFE IS GOOD...AH LA LA LA LA, LETS SKATEBOARD, AND PRETEND WE GET IN FIGHTS AND BEAT PEOPLE UP!!!

bornl33t
05-16-2002, 05:19 AM
never heard of sum 41 or jimmy eat world. Slipknot is from desmoines.. about 10 min from here and I hate them... no wonder you ppl turn out so messed up listening to that crap. If it's not about blood, sex and drugs you won't listen to it.

POP is anything that is POPular imo.

ThePatriot
05-16-2002, 07:07 AM
Heat i cant think of one song by slipknot that refers to sex, and hardly any that refer to drugs....i will post more later, gtg...school...

Thordic
05-16-2002, 07:37 AM
Reveille SUCKS SO BAD. I can't believe they have a fan. I saw them open for Clutch, and we booed them off the stage because they sucked so bad. Gah.

And Pop isn't really just anything thats popular. It's come to mean like that "rock lite" or dance stuff that MTV seems to suck up. Like Michael Jackson in the 80s, he was the King of Pop. Blink 182 is pop. They never seemed very punk to me.

As for the bands mentioned now, Slipknot is definitely not pop. That would be like saying Black Sabbath or Alice Cooper was pop back in the day. They were popular with fans of hard rock, but outside of that, no one liked them. Same with Slipknot, if you don't like that type of music, you are gonna hate them.

Sum 41 is ehh. They are on the verge of pop, I guess.

When you start making music you know the public will buy because its popular, then you start being a pop band. It seems to me Sum 41 is making thier music so that people will buy it, they aren't making it because they have some great artistic vision.

And Heat, don't go all getting high and mighty about music. Or would you like us to come and examine all aspects of your life to find something we can pick on you about? Theres nothing wrong with liking a certain band. Get a life.

WARPED1
05-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Heat
never heard of sum 41 or jimmy eat world. Slipknot is from desmoines.. about 10 min from here and I hate them... no wonder you ppl turn out so messed up listening to that crap. If it's not about blood, sex and drugs you won't listen to it.

POP is anything that is POPular imo. Not anymore.POP was what was POPular,but now it's consdered a style of music like rock,jazz,or r+b.Most stuf that falls under the pop category are things like *nsync,brittney spears,and the like.
You want some good music?Go to my stepfathers bands site at www.slyd.cc

Bailey
05-18-2002, 05:03 PM
every band mentioned in this thread sucks horribly except black sabbath and alice cooper

thats just my 2 cents ...

ThePatriot
05-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Well thanks for your input Bailey. I am just wondering, who died and left you in charge? Last time i checked you could like any kind of band you want, and sure you are allowed to state your opinion but in this thread it made absolutely no positive points. I had a post earlier that wasnt of any use, i know, before you drill me about it, but i dont know what was with me at the time. Anyway, Black Sabbath is cool, yes, the problem is, everyone is beginning to like Ozzy Osbourne now. Becuase of MTV's The Osbournes everyone thinks hes so cool, and its annoying, people like him because he has a show on MTV.

Jonno06
05-18-2002, 06:27 PM
i hate MTV....i Do,however,like to watch MTV2,b/c they dont have much Rap bull****,and no reality crap shows either....all they play is sweet *** rock(of all kinds)...music videos 24/7

HoppysMag
05-18-2002, 07:22 PM
well heres my 2 cents...
POP = Popular... so back in the days Elvis was "POP" now he is not.... what ever the flavor of the moment might be, that is "POP" right now "POP" is 5 man boy bands and skinny scantily clad women. Rap, and rock are the transition areas.... that grey between the black and white. While to some people it’s the only thing they ever really liked... while to others it’s just what they see on TV, so henceforth it’s cool. Some bands like slipknot are in that buffer zone... it all depends on the person

Bailey
05-19-2002, 02:01 PM
you are allowed to state your opinion

Thats exactly what I did.

but in this thread it made absolutely no positive points.

oh well :o

I had a post earlier that wasnt of any use, i know, before you drill me about it, but i dont know what was with me at the time. Anyway, Black Sabbath is cool, yes, the problem is, everyone is beginning to like Ozzy Osbourne now. Becuase of MTV's The Osbournes everyone thinks hes so cool, and its annoying, people like him because he has a show on MTV.

What did you invent ozzy? Were all sorry for your loss.

P.S. I hope I made some positive points this time around,wouldnt want you to hurt my feelings again. ;)

AllAmericanMag
05-19-2002, 04:29 PM
This sucks, that sucks, YOU ALL suck! :D :D :D

-Jôker-
05-19-2002, 04:32 PM
It seems like people get afraid of a certain music if they can't pigeonhole it to their satisfaction. They will be up all night trying to slap a label on Sublime. Good music is good music, and that should be enough for anybody." -Bradley Nowell

and... blink 182 sum 41 jimmy eat world... all POP NOT PUNK THEY ARE POSERS!!!! i rest my case

Jonno06
05-19-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Bailey

P.S. I hope I made some positive points this time around,wouldnt want you to hurt my feelings again. ;)

BURN!!!!

AngelBoy
05-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Does it really matter? People listen to what they want to listen to, they shouldnt get crap for it. I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. I'll listen to about everything but bluegrass, classical, and country. If it sounds good and you like it, listen to it. If you dont like it, leave it alone. Stop tryin to put labels on bands, if they sound good I'm gonna listen to em, even if it is just one song.

Heat, I think that was a very ignerant (sp?) post. Just because something has a drug reference in it doesn't mean it's evil. You sounded just like my dad when he heard me listening to Thousand Foot Krutch, he said "you shouldnt be listening to that vulgar music and I never want to hear that again".

Just my 2 cents, hate me if u wish;)

ThePatriot
05-19-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Bailey

Actually, i did invent ozzy and have a patent on him. So i suggest you stop using his name, you owe me 25 cents now, and from now on every time you say his name will be exponentially doubled from that 25 cents. Have fun

Jonno06
05-20-2002, 03:01 PM
and i have the original patent on the patent about using patents that you dont have..so you now owe me five american dollars.

I also have the patent on stupid people,and you owe me another 5 bucks for that one.Have Fun

AngelBoy
05-20-2002, 03:11 PM
I wonder how long its gonna be till a mod closes this thread...:rolleyes:

beam
05-20-2002, 04:09 PM
I quit reading somewhere up there and just had to post.

I just don't get it....why do so many of you think that you have to listen to a band that nobody else knows about or listens to? That's just plain lame.

What? Does their music change once a certain number of people start to listen to them? I don't think the music is what even draws some of you to a band, it's their obscurity. DUH! Get some nads and just listen to music because it's good music.

By having the mindset of only listening to little known bands, you are in fact becoming the norm. SOOOOOOO many people have this same philosophy when it comes to choosing music. By trying to be different, they are really the same.

Me? I can take it if someone says my POD is lame because they are so mainstream now. Oh, but they used to be good, back in the day.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

HoppysMag
05-20-2002, 05:09 PM
beam- heres a quote for that " how rebelious, in that conformist sort of way" Lisa Simpsons, ( from the episode were bart gets his ear pierced)

covadsucks
05-21-2002, 12:20 AM
Neil Diamond is the man!!!!!

BTW...this was makin me laugh hard, you guys get so butthurt over what someone says about your music. thanks for entertaining me.

ThePatriot
05-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by covadsucks
Neil Diamond is the man!!!!!

BTW...this was makin me laugh hard, you guys get so butthurt over what someone says about your music. thanks for entertaining me. \

What I'm here for...