PDA

View Full Version : Sick Mag?

Tyril
05-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Hey Guys,

I bought a used Minimag about a week ago, and this was my first opportunity to gas it up and test it out.

Ok, first off, the gas was C02 (can only get HPA fills at my field), but I used an 8 stage expansion chamber in order to prevent liquid.

1) Ok, on first gassing, I hear a pop, and the trigger goes out into firing position. Good so far?

2)Flip on my revy, aim and fire. Pssss.... pop! Sounds kind of odd, but I'm not too familiar with mags... shot was at reasonable velocity, and straight.

3)Wait a second or two, and again. This time the shot was at about half velocity... didn't even make it to the target. ?

4)I fire again a second later, and it sounds if the valve did not recharge, the ball basically rolls out the barrel.

5)Fourth shot, and paint everywhere.

6)Hmmmmm.... I take the revy and barrel off and dryfire. Sounds full velocity, but then air begins to leak out of the hex hole on the reg.

7)I screw it in a bit, fire. The gun bangs and recoils like a .45, and the bit of air becomes a stream. Not good.

8)I screw it out a lot, and then the trigger relaxes, no pressure from the sear. Hmmm... if I physically pull the trigger out, the sear catches, and I am able to fire at around half velocity.

9)So, back in the velocity adjust goes, and the bit of leak comes back. Whatever. So I fire again twice, fast (short-stroking) Pssss... POP!...pop...pop. Hardly audible, and obviously not recharged.

10)I find that if I fire with about 10 seconds between the shots, marker will fire normally (or maybe a bit hot).

Ok, well, obviously this is quite ab-normal. But what I'm wonder is how will the gun fire on HPA? Normally? Or is something wrong? I leave it to the collective wisdom of AO to help. Please!

Thanks!

-Mike

Tyril
05-15-2002, 05:21 PM
Ahh, one more thing. It wasn't the CO2 tank. Since I posted, I put the tank on my RT tippy... and even at 8-9 bps, no drop off

Hmmm... :(

-Mike

Tyril
05-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Hmmm... I've been looking at the blow-up diagrams on airguns.com, and have noticed something odd. One of the brass parts on my on-off assembly looks different from what is shown on the site. Part 141 on http://www.airgun.com/downloads/valveexplodedview.pdf looks odd... as if it were a completely different part. It looks to be about the same size, but is not indented on the sides... instead there seems to be a cross-type "crown" on top of it. Any one know what this is? And if it could be causing the problem?

The minimag is from 1999 if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

-Mike

TransMan
05-15-2002, 06:34 PM
you can contact agd over the phone or by e-mail they can prob tell u whats wrong and tell u if u need to send it in to get it fixed

personman
05-15-2002, 06:49 PM
HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM!
YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET PART!!!!!
I would go ahead and buy a whole new on/off assembally. You never know what could be in there.

But if you dont want to buy it all, and you think everything else looks normal, then buy it here.
http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=43&CATID=6
Unscrew the valve and look in there too. Check the whole gun if you can.
Also check the o-rings and replace worn ones.

Tyril
05-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys... however, I'm not sure if its actually after-market or not. Browsing the FAQs got me this very simple explanation, but no images or anything.
http://www.airgun.com/faq.shtml#onoffnew
Anyone have any info on the old/new on/off tops?

-Mike

pete-is-god17
05-15-2002, 07:50 PM
your on off could be in there the wrong way...

the pin could be upside down

it could be bent too

also, it might be something to do with the regulator piston... id call agd and get one of their people to help you or take it to a tech that knows what hes doing

Tyril
05-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I took a look a all of the small on/off components, and aside from that odd top, everything else is in correctly. I'll probably call AGD tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys!

-Mike

xmetal2001
05-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Yep, that sounds weird, your best bet would be to call AGD.

MrMag
05-15-2002, 09:58 PM
in the agd video, they use the on/off top that u have. but the newer ones have the ones on agd's store

FrAuStY
05-16-2002, 07:20 PM
I believe I know what type of on/off top he has. Its an ANS and I have one as well. If it looks like an upside down crown when installed in the gun.. it's installed correctly. The flat side with one hole should be facing up and the open end down. I also think the spring pack may have bound up. I read in my manual last night (was reading for the heck of it and no I may use it!) that sometimes the spring pack will bind up from non-use I guess. When this happens the gun re-charges very slow. They said to tighten it down until it won't tighten anymore. Be careful not to overtighten it. Once its fully tightened..back it out a turn or two, then chrono the marker accordingly. You may even want to inspect the spring pack on the rear of the gun. Maybe it needs some grease!

Tyril
05-16-2002, 07:44 PM
hmm... I'll try that... thanks!

-Mike

CenterFire
05-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Believe it or not I had the same problem. With many tanks, if you screw them in ALL the way on your Mini, the valve closes. Give the tank a little room by not screwing it in all the way and you're set. Worked for me.