PDA

View Full Version : On field antics

TheBigRaguPB4L
05-16-2002, 01:13 PM
I was at my indoor the other night and another team was practicing opposite of us. Watching a few of their games and conversing with some of the people there, I observed some of the things that they do on the field and I wanted to get some other views on it.

Even just at their practice, if you didn't know that they were on the same team, you would have thought that they hated each other. They scream at each other. If/when they got bonus balled or something, they'd turn and curse and even shoot back. They were so brutal to each other i would have sworn they were gonna start fighting. When they stepped off though, they were best friends.

It just took me as a surprise that they would act so hostile to each other. As i said, i was talking to one of the guys that happens to be helping our team get on our feet, and he was telling me that you need to be ready for when other teams start doing that to your own. When you start going to tourney's and such, teams are going to rip you apart if you don't prepare yourself for that kind of behavior.

Is this how all the "proffessional" teams play? Is this the kind of thing i need to expect when i start playing some higher tourneys? Is this the kind of thing we're going to show the rest of the world if we ever get onto network television? So teams aren't going to make it if you're not ready to fight someone? If this kind of thing is the norm for higher up teams, i'd rather stick with recball and just messing around at the indoor. Is it like this all over or is it just few and far between? I would hope there are some teams that can play this game without acting like kids.

the JoKeR
05-16-2002, 01:26 PM
It wouldn't surprise me. Some people take this game a little too seriously, but then again, for some people it's their life and only income. I play more of a recreational tourney game where we talk to and enjoy the other team's company before and after the games.

xmetal2001
05-16-2002, 02:33 PM
You said that they act like best friends off the field, so on the field they are probably just trying to stay pumped up. you know what i mean.

theraidenproject
05-16-2002, 03:11 PM
kind of OT, but my friends and I are great friends, but we do fight all the time and dish out cheap blows to each other anbout anything, including family, divorces, visiting psychiatrists, etc. so you can never really judge relationships by what you see. We do yell at each other a little bit if we're playing against each other, nothing vulgar, its more of a joke, really, but these guys sound a little extreme. Hmmm, I don't know what impression this gives of myself and some of my friends, but I don't know if you could really understand unless you know us. Sorry I couldn't answer your questions.

Creative Mayhem
05-16-2002, 03:52 PM
sometime things can get out of hand, friends or not. My tourney experience has been a good one, no other teams have ever "ripped" into our team. We have always had good opponents(with exceptions of course) some cheat, but that's what the refs and head refs are for. Bring any problems to them, and save your temper. Play safe and have fun.

athomas
05-16-2002, 10:19 PM
I don't think that hostility towards each other is necessarily a good trait to have on a team even if it accepted in the name of competitiveness. You can be aggressive and motivated without being hostile. Remember, your team mates are your protection and possibly your best buddy as well. Quite often, teams that show hostility toward each other don't last very long, even if the hostility is only on the field.

TheBigRaguPB4L
05-17-2002, 01:47 AM
Well, the team I am talking about is a well established pro team. They do fairly well all around and have been together for quite a few years. I bet if you asked any one of them, they'd tell you that it's the only way you should play tourney ball.