PDA

View Full Version : Freak barrel length????

sicones
05-16-2002, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking about getting the freak barrel by the way I have a minimag, and I want to know what size I should get, I want to keep my gun as short as possible but I think getting the 10" wouldn’t we worth it because its so short so what do you people think I should get 10" or 12" also would it really make a big difference??? Thanks

FrAuStY
05-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Well I remember reading that only 10 inches is required to get a paintball up to 300 fps. If that has any type of porting.. it will be a gas hoggin barrel (not efficient) I'd go with a 12" I've used a 12" on my mag and it shot very well. I actually have a 12" teardrop (basically a freak without inserts) and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I did run a 10 inch CP on my spyder and it was wicked for indoor, but then again.. it was on a spyder so no real conclusion made for a 10in on a mag (prolly shoot better on mag)

magc68
05-16-2002, 02:01 PM
well keep in mind that the freak for the mag is 1.5 inches longer than any other freak... so a 10" tip on a mag base will measure out 11.5 inches... a 12" will measure out 13.5" this is because of the breech in the barrel design for mag barrels. i would say go wiht the 10" tip if u r looking for shortness. that will give u nearly a 12" barrel

FatMan
05-16-2002, 02:14 PM
You shouldn't include the breach area when measuring the length of a Mag barrel. Barrels for other markers don't have that extra length. The ball is not at the rear end of the barrel when the gun fires - its more like 1" or 1 1/4" up in it.

Some manufaturers seem to ignore this and produce barrels with an overall length as advertised - essentially short-changing Mag owners (and then they charge a little more for the priviledge).

A Freak for a Mag is really nice at 12" - given the porting on the last 4 inches of the barrel you get an effective length somewhere close to 10" which is what you want (I don't subscribe to the thought that effective length ends at the beginning of the porting, but the effective length of the ported section is certainly smaller than the actual length).

FatMan

Bartleby
05-16-2002, 07:12 PM
the 10" on the freak is more like 11" so go with the 10" that's what i've got.

blackmag3
05-16-2002, 10:12 PM
if you are going for compactness then by all means a 10" is great.