liigod
05-18-2002, 05:19 PM
hey guys, just bought myself a new car :cool:

liigod
05-18-2002, 05:20 PM
drives great

liigod
05-18-2002, 05:21 PM
guna do intake, and exhaust, then maybe a chip. No ricerocket stuff for me though, i dont like the fast and the furious look, too teenybopper.:rolleyes:

InfinatyBPS
05-18-2002, 05:59 PM
*edit* Dont know if you lose post count by deleting post so, ill just edit... nice car...

Jonno06
05-18-2002, 06:23 PM
nazi.....

anyways....nice car.....thats a Golf right,or is it a jetta???

i would mind a nice cabriolet....

daklown33
05-18-2002, 06:47 PM
screw speed...get a system

Mango
05-18-2002, 08:37 PM
Another fellow Veedubber!! Nice man! Check out www.vwvortex.com they have an A3 forum. Click on that link then go to "Forums" then "Volkswagen" then "Golf III & Jetta III". Lots of good reliable information.

Enjoy the car!!!

jah871
05-18-2002, 09:56 PM
jonno its a gti

ThePatriot
05-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Jonno, you call us Nazis? Just because we know German cars are superior to any machine ever built does not make us Nazis. I would like to see any american car take a Z8, aint gonna happen.

Automag ReTro
05-19-2002, 09:50 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble Patriot, but a Corvette Z06 would wipe its feet all over the Z8 any and every day. Another American car that would eat the Z8 would of course have to be the good ol' Viper, heck, the 2003 would eat the Vette.

paintslinger
05-19-2002, 01:42 PM
nice car i say u go sound system once u get done with intak and exhuast. put a couple subs in the back...but make sure u still have room for ur paitnball stuff :)

AutoMaggot
05-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Germans usually make everything superior :rolleyes:

Anyhoo... props on the VDub. If that's not the VR6, which is doesnt look like, then it must be the 1.8T GTI... in other words... throw a new blow off valve in that sucker, upgrade the turbo a bit... and you, my friend, will have one kickass car!

ThePatriot
05-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Automag ReTro
Sorry to burst your bubble Patriot, but a Corvette Z06 would wipe its feet all over the Z8 any and every day. Another American car that would eat the Z8 would of course have to be the good ol' Viper, heck, the 2003 would eat the Vette.

No chevy or ford is superior in any manner, i am sorry....

German engineering took over all of europe in WW2 and the company that made the planes, now makes cards, hence BMW. I believe that mercedes was the tank manufacturing company.....only problem during WW2 was that their stuff didnt work to tell in the cold. It still doesnt, German cars + cold = bad, however i do think they are quite superior to any american car.

Also, you are from SC(as the location reads) and its not bad, but everyone in the south, including the Carolinas is brought up to believe nothing is better than American Engineering. I felt it myself down here in FL, everyone wants a pickup, and everyone only wants a Ford, no foreign cars here....

It's kinda like religion, if you are brought up with one religion, odds are you will believe it whole heartedly and think you are right. Same thing here, brought up thinking american cars rule, always gonna think it.

Jonno06
05-20-2002, 02:17 PM
actually,i was calling him a nazi b/c "voltswagon",comes from "volksvagen",meaning "for the people"....a thought created up by Adolf Hitler....

AutoMaggot
05-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Yep. He's right. The BMW symbol is supposed to represent a prop against the sky, referring to the aircraft and engines they built during WW2.

Dr. Porsche designed most all of the Tiger and Panther tanks during that same time period, and Volkswagen (the people's car), bult the KubelWagon... the famous German officer/scouting car that we all know from those cheezy American war movies.

Mercedes did perhaps the most of all, building aircraft and tank engines, as well as the Sdkfz-series Half Tracks...

Its not a question of "Oh, yeah, well, the American yatta-yatta can beat the European yatta-yatta" for one simple reason...

CLASS.

The BMW Z8 is just so much more rare and beautiful vehicle, than is the a-typical Mustang/Camaro/or even a Viper. Im sorry to say, that I would MUCH rather buy a foreign vehicle, such as a BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Saab, or Audi, than any American piece of machinery... its a class issue.

Jonno06
05-20-2002, 02:40 PM
yep......i myself love rice burners....and hate most american cars(except the 5.0 mustang).....

Zumina
05-20-2002, 05:31 PM
throw it in the "Check my fatty ride yo" thread.

bornl33t
05-20-2002, 05:58 PM
aight, just to clear some things up
if you buy germans cars you are killing yourself. I know they are better in MOST ways, but you are killing american economy. PERIOD.

next Wolkswagen means , peoples car. and It was infact invented by hitler as a Cheap means of trasnportations for all the ppl. The first car for the ppl was actually the beetle. The reason I hate beetles. And the Kueblewagen is better known as the duck or "the thing". And i hate those too.

I hate most european cars because if you've even been to europe you'll realize that NONE of them are big enough to haul ANYTHING. I dred the day americans get rid of the pickup..... ahhhhhhhh.

The Z8 will beat a vet. The Vet is overrated, heavy and overpriced. But hey it's cool right so it's worth it? As for american cars that will beat a z8, cobra R, maybe some of Shelbys creations, the cyclone and many more... it's european remember, they aren't made to be fast. How can I say this? Well if you knew anything about Europe's inshurance policies, you'd know that the more HP a car has the more you are paying . We are talking like 2000$ a year for a 1.8l honda made in 92. Mike has one :)

Oh yeah, look at the new gt -40 that ford is working on, if it ever goes into production there's gonna be alot of catching up by other car companies speed and hp wise.

BMW- Bayrisches Motor Werk. that means motors, no mension of cars. So you're right .. originally they made motors ONLY

to close it up, the reason that I like american made cars over european... price. You get heck of alot more outta american cars then European cars. And Status might be good, but nothing beats the rubble of a V-8.

I've seen both worlds, trust me you don't want America to end up like Europe.

bofh
05-20-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by AutoMaggot
The BMW Z8 is just so much more rare and beautiful vehicle, than is the a-typical Mustang/Camaro/or even a Viper. Im sorry to say, that I would MUCH rather buy a foreign vehicle, such as a BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Saab, or Audi, than any American piece of machinery... its a class issue.

The reason Z8 has so much more class, (and everything else) is because it costs ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND dollars.

Or roughly the cost of a house. Maybe not a real posh house in a posh neighborhood. But pretty nice living in a fairly nice place.

For that kind of money, I could get a Z06 and send it to Lingenfelter and it would come back with 725hp and I'd *still* have change coming. Now, if you think that wouldn't be faster than a Z8... Just compare cars to cars like them. The Z3M vs. the Z06 would be much fairer. The Z06 would probally lose, but it would be fair.

You want a Stock American Car to compete, nay, beat the Z8. The Saleen S7. Actually, even the new Viper would show the Z8 the fast way around Le Sarthe.

Now, I'm no American car lover. But give the credit where it's due. American Cars cost loads less then their German counterparts. American Cars also have great engineering, to a cost. Don't get blinded by any great love for a marquee, because there are a lot of good american cars being made nowadays. Frankly, there's an awful lot of stuff below 30 grand that American cars are doing very very right.

On a closing note, I'd like to point out you're all so very, very wrong about cars, because everyone *knows* the piniacle of sports cars in the whole world are English. (with a very close second of Italy) Come to think it, the very best sedans are also English. Neener neener. :)

bofh
05-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Oh, yeah. The VW GTI is a schweet car. Good job for getting one. You'll love it, if you don't already.

I mean, deep in your heart, I know you wanted a fine piece of British motoring, say like a TVR, but like the rest of us you had to balance out the need for owning the finest example of motorcars today, with the ability to carry groceries, passangers and staying dry. I understand completely. :D Times are tough, and we all have to make tough choices. :)

bofh
05-20-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by ThePatriot
No chevy or ford is superior in any manner, i am sorry....

You're also wrong. :) The only real thing that American cars lack is style... at that's subjective. They can be cheaper, they can be faster, and they can be well built. But not all at once. :) Most of them however look like poo.

Of course the only clearly superior car maker here are the British ones. TVR, Morgan, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Marcos, Ultima, Jaguar, Bristol, Strathcarron, MG (yes they're still around), Aston Martin, Jensen Healey, Ascari, McLaren, AC, Ginetta, Caterham, Dare, Ronart, Trident, and Westfield... there may be more that I've left out :D , these are the ones that I know about that are currently in buisness. :)

ThePatriot
05-20-2002, 07:18 PM
European cars arent designed to be fast? I have but one word for you, Autobon.....

Jonno06
05-20-2002, 08:23 PM
and I have 2 letters for you.....F-1(actually 1 number,and 1 letter)

Zumina
05-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bofh

You're also wrong. :) The only real thing that American cars lack is style... at that's subjective. They can be cheaper, they can be faster, and they can be well built. But not all at once. :) Most of them however look like poo.

Of course the only clearly superior car maker here are the British ones. TVR, Morgan, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Marcos, Ultima, Jaguar, Bristol, Strathcarron, MG (yes they're still around), Aston Martin, Jensen Healey, Ascari, McLaren, AC, Ginetta, Caterham, Dare, Ronart, Trident, and Westfield... there may be more that I've left out :D , these are the ones that I know about that are currently in buisness. :)

and how many of those companies are subsidiaries of Ford and Chevrolet? How many of those cars exibit a hint of reliablity/practical use?????? How many of those companies employ well-paid American designers and engineers?

Ford and Chevy suffer because they hire fresh-out-of-college engineers that don't have a CLUE as to how a car works. Look at the Aztec, LOOK AT IT!!

rifleman
05-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Can't say I'm a fan of the new VW's, I would have went for a used Honda Civic and worked from there.

Adam

Zumina
05-20-2002, 09:40 PM
on a side note, my cousin had a 94' Jetta and it was the biggest peice of garbage on the planet. It was bought NEW and after the warranty expired everything went to hell. For example, one day while driving through a light rain, the car's ENTIRE electrical system shorted and blew the ECU. The repairs ran a staggering $4000!!!!! Thank god he had rich parents :p

AutoMaggot
05-20-2002, 10:08 PM
BMW- Bayrisches Motor Werk.

I thought it was Bavarian Motor Works...

paintslinger
05-20-2002, 10:13 PM
yea u guys hear about the brand new 01-02' jettas getting their brakes recalled? my friend almost totaled his jetta when his breaks went out. and the kicker is that day when get home what was in his mail box? the letter from vw saying that the brakes had been recalled. hahaha. but u gotta give bmw some credit the m5...where else can u get a 400hp family sedan? my uncle has one and it owns.

pumpamatic
05-20-2002, 11:27 PM
BMW stands for something that translates into Bavarian Motor Works. That's not actually what it's called though. It may be Bayrisches Motor Werk, I don't remember exactly.

I believe Europe can always beat us in style. One of the reasons American sports cars can do well is because they offer a lot more room for us obese Americans, hardly any creation from Europe or Asia does that, because they don't have so many overweight people. The only sports cars I've ever seen a fat person riding in are Camaros and Corvettes, they can't fit comfortably much elsewhere.

Zumina
05-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by pumpamatic
they don't have so many overweight people. The only sports cars I've ever seen a fat person riding in are Camaros and Corvettes, they can't fit comfortably much elsewhere.

True, but you're fogetting about what makes American cars so appealing. let's see....VALUE. Initial sticker price and the availability of parts (stock or aftermarket) are always exceedingly low in comparison to anything from Europe or Japan. Not to mention the fact that Corvettes and Camaros appeal to a vast majority of Americans. Why? Americans prefer straight forward, cheap, simple, and comfortable performance. I don't know about you yuppy fools out there, but I don't need a new 7 series with all of high tech gadgetry. Stop compensating for your ingnorance with a vehicle that has more "computer based features" than a fighter plane.

Mango
05-21-2002, 07:45 AM
This debate will never end.

European cars like BMW and Mercedes appeal to upper class. They are LUXURY cars and they will do luxury cars better than Americans 9 times out of 10. Look at an E-class mercedes, then look at a Cadillac. They are both nice, but the Mercedes is much more refined. BUT the caddy comes with a more powerful engine. So there will always be pro's and cons.

European car manufactuers are held to higher standards. Also, thier assembly workers are the highest paid in the world, and thier laboerers union is the best. So you are paying a premium for that also. But dont compare apples and oranges.

Now, look at sports cars. Two seat Coupes. C5's own. F-bodys own. Where else are you going to get a huge V8, EXCELLENT handeling, blacktop crushing pushrod V8 that will do 14 sec 1/4's out of the box??? AMERICA baby. We invented the muscle car. Europe has nothing to come close for the money. If you want a high output V8 from Europe it costs you 70 grand plus cause you will only get it in an M5/E55 AMG or the like.

bofh
05-21-2002, 07:54 AM
I forgot Land Rover and Rover, which are now two seperate companies.

Originally posted by Zumina
and how many of those companies are subsidiaries of Ford and Chevrolet??

Lotus - owned by Proton, who owns Hyundai
Rolls Royce - owned by BMW
Bentley - Owned by VW
Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover - Owned by Ford

How many of those cars exibit a hint of reliablity/practical use??????

That depends on what you're looking for. None of them are Honda's, so you have to pay more attention to them than changing the oil every 10k miles. However, if you service them regularly, they aren't any less reliable than my American or German cars. As for being Practical... that all depends what you're looking for. No two seat convertible is practical, no matter who makes it. My Jaguar sedan however, is very practical. I can also assume you think that all Automags are blenders and 'Cockers shoot farther, eh?

How many of those companies employ well-paid American designers and engineers

None of the ones that aren't list here.
Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Land Rover are the only ones that have been messed with design wise. They still have mostly British design teams, now they have to use the Ford parts bins. Bentley has Germans, and VW parts bins. Rolls Royce hasn't been touched by BMW yet... And Lotus, their engineers invaded Hyundai...

bofh
05-21-2002, 08:04 AM
My Anglo friendly rant aside...

American cars do own.

You can argue that till you're blue in the face, but for the cost of less than an *average* years salary, you can't get a better car than an American one.

Even if start throwing the big bucks around, American Cars aren't that outclassed, if at all, by the top-end Euro cars.

Zumina
05-21-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm not saying Euro cars are trash. I become annoyed when little 14 year old punk kids revere BMWs and Mercedes as automotive perfection. Stop living in a pipe dream, where you're also married to Pamela Anderson, get a car, and get some EXPERIENCE. I don't care what magazine X said about car Y compared to car W. From what I've seen, the major 'mags do a pretty shotty job when it comes to an in-depth analysis of vehicle. Half the things within an article come directly from the company that produced the car. "our car is the greatest because we use super techno fuel injection coupled with a Zusla electronic system", you're right -- Car and Driver. No need to look into the reliability and actual need of an intricate system. Most of those fine fellows are simply wowed by outside-of-the-box layout and design. did you know the chevy Avalanche won truck of the year?

liigod
05-26-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by SprayingMango
Another fellow Veedubber!! Nice man! Check out www.vwvortex.com they have an A3 forum. Click on that link then go to "Forums" then "Volkswagen" then "Golf III & Jetta III". Lots of good reliable information.

Enjoy the car!!!

Lol, the funny part of this is, the only reason i made this thread was to host pictures for vwvortex.com cus u cant upload there. thats why i never checked this post :-D. Im actually an american car fan when it comes to over all, i think they are more comfortable. I go car by car tho, not by nationality. Other than korean cars, id rather drive a john deer :cool: . On the topic of audio, im doing a whole 5 inch LCD setup that plays mp3s, vcds,and regular cds. Ive got a neu speed p chip in the mail, and im building a computer for it :D god i love technology, impress the chicks :cool: Ill post pix of that when its done.

RT_Luver
05-26-2002, 02:12 PM
I dont care what anyone says. as soon as I raise enuf mney (i'l be about 40) I'm gettin the good ol' American classic 69 Stingray Corvette

Jim Staples
09-07-2002, 10:46 PM
not to bust your bubble....
but that's the ugliest P.O.S. i've ever seen...
but im also all 'bout
droppin 350's in a s10 blazer w/ lifts....

gettin a new name.....Blazin4x4x4S10

ah yeah, 4 drs, 4 wheel drive, tahoe pkg baby woo hoo...
eh, yeah...later.

Gotenks
09-08-2002, 01:17 AM
finally got the damn picture disk! :p

FooTemps
09-08-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Gotenks
finally got the damn picture disk! :p

... what car? I don't see no car... where's the car?

Hemlock86
09-08-2002, 11:36 AM
You guys make me sick! Muhahahahah Jetta's are nice cars. Z28's/TA's are my favorite and also very good cars. All the Nazi's are dead. BLah blah blah :D

No arguing allowed on my forum! :)

Peace
ed

71 LS6
09-08-2002, 03:50 PM
I'll stay out of this, for fear of what I might say. But if you are going to do the exhaust in your new VW, do the WHOLE EXHAUST!! I'm sick of seeing little foriegn cras with 2 1/4 inch single exhaust going out to a gigantic muffler that makes the car sound like one of those 'crotch-rocket' motorcycles. Then everyone says 'wow, he's got a 4" exhaust! that must be fast! exhaust tips do nothing for performance, and look trashy to anyone that knows true performance. I don't like souped-up 4 cylinders anyhow, but if you do anything to the exhaust, get headers, and redo the length of the pipe in 2 1/2." (I would say to go larger still, but that would be unnecessary on a 4-cyl)

Anyway, nice car. I'm glad you like it and that's what counts.

rhetor22
09-08-2002, 05:13 PM
I'm not going to get to into this, because i've done it so many times.

But i will say this:

people really, really have it wrong about American cars' handling. American sports cars do not have horrible handling. People seem to think that a mustang turns worse than an underpowered school bus. Mustangs, Vettes, firebirds, yadda yadda, all the new American cars handle very well. Maybe not in comparison to a Porsche, but look how the cars are designed! An American car is mainly a gokart with a v-8 to make it affordable. Porsches are so much more money any how...

Also, people think that a good handling car will eat up a high power car around a curvy race track. This really makes no sense. After the corner what are you doing? You're accelerating. So this is where the high power cars have it all over the handling cars. They may be slow in the corners, but what about after? This is where it comes down to driving skills.

And why don't people ever look at the brakes? I'm amazed that some people don't even care how a sports car stops.

:o

bofh
09-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
Also, people think that a good handling car will eat up a high power car around a curvy race track. This really makes no sense. After the corner what are you doing? You're accelerating. So this is where the high power cars have it all over the handling cars. They may be slow in the corners, but what about after? This is where it comes down to driving skills.

I have seen with my own eyes, a Lotus Elan beat a 427 Stingray Covette in 15 laps at Lime Rock Park.

The Lotus Elan has a 1500cc engine... And about 120hp. And it trounced the Vette. The Mustangs of the era were even farther behind.

It all depends on the race track. Le Mans is still a power track. And even then, this year the MG's were only 3 seconds off the pace of the Audi's

Of course, these tests don't hold true with modern cars, since the american cars handling has improved greatly. But the Corvette, as greatly improved as it is, is still a whale when compared to modern British sports cars.

Zumina
09-08-2002, 11:05 PM
The Elan is a light, tiny, and zippy little thing. The older Vettes were really crappy in the twisties, remember, they were designed to go in a STRAIGHT line. Driver skill is another factor.

I believe rhetor is talking about the new unibody american cars as far as handling goes.

Zumina
09-08-2002, 11:05 PM
nice invisible car gotenks :p

Gotenks
09-09-2002, 12:02 AM
here it is (i think)

*EDIT it worked!! and thats my crappy little sub-urban home. my room is the window to the right!

Gotenks
09-09-2002, 12:04 AM
weee

Gotenks
09-09-2002, 12:05 AM
ohhh sexy.

FooTemps
09-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Integra! Too bad it ain't a honda integra... stupid acura title...

Zumina
09-09-2002, 12:11 AM
dood that thing's old school. What year is it? It's not even a SOHC VTEC? What's under that hood?

Tubby_Ninja
09-09-2002, 12:39 PM
This is the best car I've ever owned. Bar none. And I've owned a lot. Relatively inexpensive, relatively fast, very comfortable and roomy.

http://www.aracnet.com/~jdefrain/max2.jpg

davidb
09-09-2002, 07:42 PM
I'll leave the car debate to you guys, but I just want to point out to all the people on here pretending to speak German that Volkswagen always has been, is now, and ever shall be spelled VOLKSWAGEN!!! Not Wolksvagen or Volkensviegen or Folkswagon, but Volkswagen!

Volken (pronounced Folken, in German the V makes an "F" sound) means "people".
Wolken (pronounced Volken, are you confused yet? :D) means "clouds".
Wagen (pronounced...sort of a cross between vaggen and voggen) of course means "car" or something close to that.

And if you want the shortened German name, "VW", it's pronounced Fau-Vay (rhymes with... idunno, cow-day). It's even more fun to say than Veedub! :D

1stdeadeye
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by ThePatriot

German engineering took over all of europe in WW2 and the company that made the planes, now makes cards, hence BMW. I believe that mercedes was the tank manufacturing company.....only problem during WW2 was that their stuff didnt work to tell in the cold. It still doesnt, German cars + cold = bad, however i do think they are quite superior to any american car.

German engineering my @ss! Cowardly politicians like Chamberlin allowed tha Nazi's to take over all of Europe. When the U.S. landed on D-Day, we showed the Germans what we thought of their engineering. Mustangs (P-51s) owned!!!! The Germans were left cowering on the ground and retreating. For that matter, the Spitfires owned the Germans as well.

Stick to the car talk or learn your history.;)

Gotenks
09-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Zumina

Its a 91 RS

Its a DOHC Non-vtec, b18a1. 130 horsepower and 121 lb ft. torque with a 6200 rpm redline (weak)

oh well, the car is surprisingly jumpy, when I read the specs on the 2nd generation integra, I thought it was going to be slow like my moms accord, but its got some zoom. I was planning on a b16a, but I really thought to myself.... Why? I'm just going to build this up, and show everyone what the b18a1 isssss allllll 'bout!!!!!

its old skool, and its the integra NO ONE HAS!!!!! MUWAHAHA!!

my friends said the only reason they dont like hondas/acuras is because everyone has one. well at first they didnt even recognize my car as an integra, until they saw the rear end.

FooTemps
09-09-2002, 09:02 PM
#1 reason for me to get a hachi hatchback... NO ONE HAS IT AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS!

btw: the maxima is a really nice car. My family owns a 2000... I can tell your's is a 5th gen of some type.