PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Warp Feed?

dre1919
05-20-2002, 03:05 PM
I am looking into buying a Warp Feed to put on my modified RT, so I was just curious whether or not it was worth the purchase? It seems like it's totally worth it, but it's always good to see what people who have one think. Thanks. :)

FordPrefect
05-20-2002, 03:17 PM
Warp Feed is definetly a good buy. It eliminates hopper hits, and sometimes people won't see you(because there is no big blimp on top of your marker) in the beginning, so you can get a surpirse shot off. It also makes short burts firing more reliable, because the Warp Feed feeds really well.

Tunaman
05-20-2002, 03:17 PM
You will love it...everyone I know that has one loves it.

Kaiser Bob
05-20-2002, 03:23 PM
yeah warps definitely rock. I wouldent go so far as to say someone wont see you come out, at least not on speedball, since you do have to stick your head out a little to aim. :)
However, youll find yourself turning your gun to weird angles to get a good shot that you simply cant do with a hopper on top.

SlipknotX556
05-20-2002, 04:06 PM
NOOOOOOO. RUN... RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! The warp feed is a horrible buy. Nothing but troubles on my end of the warp. I had to sell it. I hated that thing. If you want one get one. But I forth warn you now child. Stay away from it.

You have been warned.

Jonno06
05-20-2002, 04:08 PM
shhhh....

The warp feed is an exellent buy...as people said it eliminates hopper hits,and gives you a smaller profile.

Hysperion
05-20-2002, 04:45 PM
The warp feed is ok for rec ball but i have to laugh everytime i see someone using one on a sup' air or ultimate airball field. The thing is heavy, takes away your ability to adequately key up on the side of the bunker your warp is located, and besides that's crap about not getting hit in the hopper, all that means is you're more likely to get gogged.....Like I said overall the warp is great for rec ball but when you're playing airball you push in on the bunker to lower your profile. When you have a warp that's hard to do. Before I played tournament ball I loved my warp, once I started I hated it....

dre1919
05-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate as much as those who get painted won't.

BTAutoMag
05-20-2002, 06:44 PM
warps are awsome but i may be a little biased:D what does modified exactly mean concerning your RT... pics?

Johnny Bravo
05-20-2002, 07:17 PM
The warp has its ups and downs. It can really lower your chances of chopping, and it also lowers your profile some when you shoot out of your right (assuming you have your warp on the left side of your gun) However, it can really limit how well you shoot from your left, rolling the gun over makes it harder for your loader to feed the warp, so sometimes you can only shoot mabey 5 or 6 shots off with it completely turned. It also is just plain akward to snap shoot like that.

I kinda like it, you can shoot over tops of bunkers, like snakes alot better. I just wish the warp breeches for the SFLs would come out soon.

Hope this helped.

Will Wood
05-20-2002, 07:26 PM
I might get one...Heres some questions:

How reilable are they? A couple of regulars at my feild used to use them, but they broke down so much, they stoped. This was a year or so ago, so they might have fixed any problems (Btw...it was on a Model 98C) Also, I heard the only way to turn it off was to take the batteries out...that still true?

And..I have a gas thru grip. I hold it with my left hand, and mostely shoot out the right side of bunker, so the warp would be on the left. Would this make me have to hold the grip all funny so I wouldn't hit the warp with my hand? I did hear tho that you should melt some of your hopper and run the warp straight up to the gun.

the JoKeR
05-20-2002, 07:50 PM
I'll take the knowledge that my feeder will keep up with my trigger anyday. With the Rev only I broke too many balls. Now my only breaks are down the barrel, not chops. My only hopper hits are hits from the side where the ball would have hit the gun anyway. I don't notice anymore goggle hits now than before, but I do get a few more shots skimming the top of my head....

Will:
I own two, and the only "break" I've had is when the rubber pully/belt streatched too much and I broke paint due to it not feeding properly. That was a $1.00 fix with a new belt.
Yes, it's true that the only way to turn the *STOCK* Warp off fully is to pull the battery. $2.00 or so at Radio Shack will get you an on/off switch to take care of that "problem".
The Warp sits (usually) to the left side of your trigger grip, so your left hand should easily be able to hold the foregrip w/o problem. The bracket that comes with the Warp is adjustable, so you can fine tune it a bit.
At $130 or so, the Warp isn't a cheap date, and it doesn't make your gun any lighter, but they work.

Hysperion:
Not everybody plays SupAir.

AGD Pride and Lions:
Those recent pics of your teams playing on SupAir fields showed you guys using Warps. Any input?

Ultimator
05-20-2002, 07:52 PM
I have an awkward picture in my head ... you hold the gun with your left but you come out of the right side of the bunker? Does that mean you come completely out of the bunker to shoot? J/w ...

joker4hire
05-20-2002, 08:01 PM
The warp feed is ok for rec ball but i have to laugh everytime i see someone using one on a sup' air or ultimate airball field.

Ummm.. so you mean to say that Team AGD Lions and Team AGD Pride are not very smart when they play with theirs?.. That their warps are more of a burden than an asset? :rolleyes:

AllAmericanMag
05-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Warp Feeds are THIS good!
[.................................................. .] :D

Will Wood
05-20-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Ultimator
I have an awkward picture in my head ... you hold the gun with your left but you come out of the right side of the bunker? Does that mean you come completely out of the bunker to shoot? J/w ...

No, I hold the trigger handle with my right, and the grip with my left. Thanks for the info.

dyerules
05-20-2002, 08:16 PM
Is there really any up keep w/ it htough???? Also i heard about putting paintball goo on the warp discs for the new "dry paint". It seems to me though that if u put go on it it will get on the balls and affect accuracy. oh ya also w/ my z-grip what exactly will i have to do to get the plate so it sits far enough back?

TransMan
05-20-2002, 08:36 PM
lol thats like going to a ford owners web site and asking how good is a 2003 mustang cobra

well anyway the answer to your question is very good you wont be disapointed

openboater
05-20-2002, 08:59 PM
WARPs are great. But take time to learn it and get used to it. it's not like an expansion chamber where you just screw it on and forget about it. Keep fresh batteries in it. run it in properly, or better yet go with an intelli hook-up. Get the hose just right,length and routing.

throw the foregrip away and grip the WARP with your left hand.

I have rtpro / warp / intelli-trigger and retro / warp / intelli for my backup.

you may have some growing pains the first few weeks, but you'll never regret it.

the JoKeR
05-20-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by dyerules
Is there really any up keep w/ it htough???? Also i heard about putting paintball goo on the warp discs for the new "dry paint". It seems to me though that if u put go on it it will get on the balls and affect accuracy. oh ya also w/ my z-grip what exactly will i have to do to get the plate so it sits far enough back?

Just change the battery when it starts to slow down and keep it clean inside. No big deal. One of the two places I play only uses the dry shell, and I've NEVER had a problem I could blame on the Warp. I don't put paint on the discs either, although some probably do.

hitech
05-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by the JoKeR
...but I do get a few more shots skimming the top of my head....

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :D

Hysperion
05-21-2002, 12:42 PM
If agd pride and lions want to use warps that's fine with me. I don't see any pro-teams using the warp. Even when the Jax warriors were sponsored by AGD they stayed away from the warp, that's gotta say something. Like I said before they are great for rec ball and I can see a real advantage to them on hyperball fields but for sup or ultimate air you get a lower profile with a revvy shooting ambidexterously.

Chupas2
05-21-2002, 12:54 PM
The warps are great. But to each his own. In tournys to be able to shot over the top of your bunker or lay down and send a string at the other team, it's very unexpected. As for pro teams not shooting warps, most are sponsored and have to shot what they are given, but good ol' Bob Long shots one and loves it. He's even makeing side feed timmys for the use of warps. The are slowly taking off in tournys because we are seeing them more and more. But I'd recomend trying it first.

Butterfingers
05-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Hysperion
If agd pride and lions want to use warps that's fine with me. I don't see any pro-teams using the warp. Even when the Jax warriors were sponsored by AGD they stayed away from the warp, that's gotta say something. Like I said before they are great for rec ball and I can see a real advantage to them on hyperball fields but for sup or ultimate air you get a lower profile with a revvy shooting ambidexterously.

I must disagree. You dont know how many times while playing speedball in a sup air feild or similar, people have told me they simply can't hit me. The profile coming out from either side of the bunker consists of your barrel and warp breach and maybe a small corner of my mask.

You can tuck your head in real fast but how long will it take you to tuck your head, gun and hopper in. Especially if you are playing close and your barrel is aginst the side of the bunker. Its just a sitting target. The warp eliminates the problem.

If we have a duel style competition where each person takes one shot alternating. I can almost gaurantee I will hit you before you hit me.

If you ever played against a person who uses a warp properly you will find him very difficult to hit.

Dont knock it until you have given it a chance. I was skeptical at first but now I will never go back to the blimp.

pip_999
05-21-2002, 01:06 PM
uh huh

Thordic
05-21-2002, 01:27 PM
Hysperion - Just to burst your bubble, BOB LONG uses a warp. I see warps all the time in magazines with tournament pictures. You are wrong about no one using them.

Anyway, moving on.

For the foregrip question, its possible, but I find it more comfortable to use a KAPP foregrip extender to reach around the warp. Pictures of my setup (http://users.rcn.com/casani/paintball.htm) Go there to see how it looks.

As for breaking down, the only times I've seen a warp go down is when the owner is too stupid to read the instructions that come with it. If you set it up how AGD tells you to, you won't have a problem. (Actually, I've seen lots of people fry thier warp boards trying to do weird things with power, including myself, but thats a different story :) )

As far as performance goes? I can't play without one anymore. If you want to whine about them being heavy, hit the gym, you are weak. They make it insanely easy to come out around bunkers without a friggin BLIMP coming out first.

I suggest, Hysperion, that you practice more, and stop blaming equipment for lack of skill.

the JoKeR
05-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
If you ever played against a person who uses a warp properly you will find him very difficult to hit.

I have a feeling that this is the key. If you don't use it properly, you might as well use a standard hopper. Not saying I use it right, but I like it anyway....:)

the JoKeR
05-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Thordic
Hysperion - Just to burst your bubble, BOB LONG uses a warp.

Just for the sake of doing it! Glad to see you have no hidden agenda. Hehehe

Originally posted by Thordic
If you want to whine about them being heavy, hit the gym, you are weak.

I suggest, Hysperion, that you practice more, and stop blaming equipment for lack of skill.

Wow, I hope somebody was wearing a cup!:eek:

FrAuStY
05-21-2002, 01:46 PM
I would have to say.. the warp is probably the best thing I've bought for my gun. The benefits are amazing, it can sustain 20 bps feed rates if needed and as said several times before it makes you more compact. As for the warp being a waste if you play Sup Air.. PFFFFFTT!! HAHAHAHAH he didn't play with it enough.

Even though I'd only played once with my gun since I got my warp, all day I heard "Man I couldn't even see you!", "Thats not fair.. he doesn't have a hopper!", Me-"Yes I do...it just not 8 inches above my gun, its two below!", "I've seen warps online but I didn't know they worked THATwell". It was like amazing grace people coming up asking me how well it worked.. and most said the gun wasn't as heavy as they thought it'd be, even fully loaded with paint.

I give the warp a 9 out of 10 (Only reason it didn't get a 10 was because it SHOULD HAVE a power switch!) I had to install one on my own so I gave it the next best thing :)

Like several have said.. try it.. You'll know after a few times playing with it if you'll like it or not. Remember to give yourself some time to adjust to using it, and not just up and say it sucks! It will cause you to find different methods of aiming..but once you get that down.. it's a force to be reckoned with!

paint magnet
05-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Well, where I play, hopper and gun hits don't count (it's a lot more fun, you should try it sometime; just make sure the refs tell everyone that they can't shoot blind) so I could care less about that, but the only time I've seen a warp, this guy had one on an RT with a 12v. revvy, and it wouldn't work. After messing with it, he said it wasn't working because it wasn't linked to the revvy and eventually ended up taking it off. So, I've never seen a funcitioning warp, and that's why I don't want one.

Thordic
05-21-2002, 01:58 PM
A lot of fields play "rec rules" some call it, or whatever, where gun hits dont count. Usually on those days below the elbow and knee doesn't count either.

Those days arent much fun. Sometimes the only way you can hit a player is to take him out by hitting him in the heel, or the hopper, or even the barrel. If I hit you, I want you out of the game, period. If you hit me, I expect to leave the game.

the JoKeR
05-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Yeah, our local indoor field used to not count gun hits. I've never seen such dirty guns after a couple games! Especially indoors, where you don't have much additional room to duck for cover, it was a mess. No thanks!

Shail
05-21-2002, 03:19 PM
I own a warp and have used on both rec play and tourney play and in both cases I found it worked great,I could remain tighter to the bunkers, both sup' air and wooden etc, and lasted alot longer even when the odds were against me, I have won many games because "I couldn't see you" and found it great to have a steady,reliable amount of paint being fed into my marker when I needed it.As for hopper's I suggest a ricochet because you then dont have to "adjust" its side to make a tighter fit,also it spins with every shot so it works on the same idea as the warp does,Lots of paint for me to shoot at my opponents.I have only seen one warp that didn't work that well and thats because it was a older model and the guy did all sorts of wierd adjustments to it, which caused more problems then it should have.
So I would diffently get one.

Shail
05-21-2002, 03:32 PM
I have a warp and it works great for tourney play and rec,I haven't had any problems with the different bunker styles, and have only seen one warp not work well, and thats because the owner played with the internals to make it interlink with his marker, this being last year when instructions on doing werent as well known, I guess either ways he broke, but like I said it was the only one that I have seen break down. I would highly recommend getting one.

As for hoppers I find my ricochet works great, it fits on the warp without having to adjust its side so the warp hose fits well, and spins with every shot.